• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MARCYS LAW???

ps1mhd

Just found this.
Is this true?
Was going to vote for then this pops up.
What do you think?

Mike D

VOTE NO ON MARCYS LAW
ATTENTION KENTUCKY VOTERS!
What do you all think in Kentucky about this new bill we are to be voting on November 6th called Marsy's law? I will be voting NO to this bill. This is why.
Say Joe Burglar breaks into your home, intent on stealing your stuff and hurting your family. And you, armed with your firearm, shoot and seriously wound Joe Burglar. Today, you have statutory rights in Kentucky that protect you, and give you the right to stand your ground in your own home.
Let’s assume, however, that a sleeping Kentucky public passes Marsey’s law’s constitutional amendment next week.
Joe Burglar will, if the proposal passes, be able to demand that the prosecutor charge you. And the Grand Jury will never hear that you shot in self defense (a grand jury typically hears only one side of the story — in this case, the process is driven by the “victim”).
Joe Burglar will then keep you from discovery to defend yourself, because it invades his privacy. His mile long rap sheet and life of criminal convictions? You don’t get that to help defend yourself — it invades poor Joe’s privacy.
And your right to cross examine Joe about it? Well, that may also invade his privacy, so you do not get to cross examine him about that. And, we can’t let you ask about him breaking him into your house that night and trying to hurt your family — it also is undignified towards Joe and invades his privacy.
Keep in mind, there is no hearing requirement to determine who is a victim. A person makes an accusation (like Joe Burglar above), is automatically a victim under the wording of this proposal.
People need to wake up about this proposal. Who doesn’t want to afford crime victims “rights?” It sounds really good. Until you dig into it. The problem is it is being put into a Constitutional Amendment on par with the Second Amendment in Kentucky, and other key rights like the right to confront your accuser. And it may make criminals out of law abiding homeowners who are protecting their families.
I was all set to vote yes until the hidden stuff in this bill was explained. I can’t vote yes because it will severely mess up the Stand Your Ground rights. This is shared from a friend who explained a little more in depth about this law. Again, this is a anti Liberty Amendment, and we oppose it. And we agree with Judge Wingate — this proposal’s wording is grossly misleading to Kentucky voters.
This is how it reads on the ballot. Don’t be fooled.

gutshot II

This may be slightly oversimplified and overhyped, but it is basically true. I decided long ago that I'd be voting NO on this amendment. A victim's rights bill in Frankfort would be well recieved and is all that is necessary. We don't need to go messing around with the constitution in order to solve this problem. Constitutional amendments are almost impossible to change, fix or repeal once they are passed. That, by itself, is a good enough reason to not do this. The wording of this amendment is deliberately complex and misleading. That, by itself, is a good enough reason to not do this.

What has this got to do with OC?

Just found this.
Is this true?
Was going to vote for then this pops up.
What do you think?

Mike D

VOTE NO ON MARCYS LAW
ATTENTION KENTUCKY VOTERS!
What do you all think in Kentucky about this new bill we are to be voting on November 6th called Marsy's law? I will be voting NO to this bill. This is why.
Say Joe Burglar breaks into your home, intent on stealing your stuff and hurting your family. And you, armed with your firearm, shoot and seriously wound Joe Burglar. Today, you have statutory rights in Kentucky that protect you, and give you the right to stand your ground in your own home.
Let’s assume, however, that a sleeping Kentucky public passes Marsey’s law’s constitutional amendment next week.
Joe Burglar will, if the proposal passes, be able to demand that the prosecutor charge you. And the Grand Jury will never hear that you shot in self defense (a grand jury typically hears only one side of the story — in this case, the process is driven by the “victim”).
Joe Burglar will then keep you from discovery to defend yourself, because it invades his privacy. His mile long rap sheet and life of criminal convictions? You don’t get that to help defend yourself — it invades poor Joe’s privacy.
And your right to cross examine Joe about it? Well, that may also invade his privacy, so you do not get to cross examine him about that. And, we can’t let you ask about him breaking him into your house that night and trying to hurt your family — it also is undignified towards Joe and invades his privacy.
Keep in mind, there is no hearing requirement to determine who is a victim. A person makes an accusation (like Joe Burglar above), is automatically a victim under the wording of this proposal.
People need to wake up about this proposal. Who doesn’t want to afford crime victims “rights?” It sounds really good. Until you dig into it. The problem is it is being put into a Constitutional Amendment on par with the Second Amendment in Kentucky, and other key rights like the right to confront your accuser. And it may make criminals out of law abiding homeowners who are protecting their families.
I was all set to vote yes until the hidden stuff in this bill was explained. I can’t vote yes because it will severely mess up the Stand Your Ground rights. This is shared from a friend who explained a little more in depth about this law. Again, this is a anti Liberty Amendment, and we oppose it. And we agree with Judge Wingate — this proposal’s wording is grossly misleading to Kentucky voters.
This is how it reads on the ballot. Don’t be fooled.

ps1mhd

It does have to do with use of a weapon that you may or may not be OC at the time.

Mike D

gutshot II

It does have to do with use of a weapon that you may or may not be OC at the time.

Mike D

It only has to do with the use of a weapon in the "oversimplified" and "overhyped" example that was given. There is nothing about guns in "Marcy's Law".

Last edited: