• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Marion County employees ask KC3 for help with "on the job" carry.

gutshot II

In November, KC3 was contacted by a group of Marion County employees asking for help. They reported that there were "No Guns" signs on their workplace and that their Supervisor had told them that there was a "countywide" policy against firearms possession while on duty and in County vehicles or buildings.They sent some pictures of the signs that were posted on their workplace and a copy of a policy that was purported to be a "county policy".

I contacted Marion County Clerk, Chad Mattingly and requested a copy of any county ordinances or policies related to firearms. Mr. Mattingly assured me that no such records exist. Next, I sent an email to County Judge/Exec., Dave Daughtery. A week later, I called Judge Daughtery and we discussed the problem. The Judge was completely unaware of KRS 65.870 and had passed that onto the County Attorney for some research and a legal opinion, but he was adamant that Marion County had no interest in regulating guns in any manner, with anybody and did not do so. I relayed the story I had been given and Judge Daughtery promised to look into it.

Today, I called the Judge again and he said that the signs had been removed and everyone involved had been instructed that Marion County did not prohibit employees or anyone else from carrying guns anywhere, including while on the job. No one would admit being the one to get this started, but it sounds like the point was made to everybody. The supervisor that had been accused of giving the original warnings denied ever doing so. I asked the Judge if employees could contact him directly without any fear of reprisals if there were any further "misunderstandings" of this policy and he said, "Yes,of course".

The signs were obviously very old and could have been there for years. It could be that some people just assumed that the signs were the policy. The printed policy looked very new and the policy number is #1.01. That seems very suspicious. This could have been typed and printed by anybody.

I don't know exactly what happened here, but it could be that there was a misunderstanding between some employees and their supervisor or a supervisor was just making his own rules, but in any case, it has been fixed. I wish they were all this easy. Pictures on the signs and "policy"are below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0xr36a9ppgqtlto/20171108_224035%20%281%29.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/26idwdh35x74bnx/20171108_231015%20%281%29.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gawptww83jrcx63/20171108_224057%20%283%29.jpg?dl=0

gutshot II

Today, I was called by the Marion County employees that originally brought this to my attention and he said that the "No Guns" signs had been taken down, the policy had been removed from the policy book and they were no longer prohibited from carrying at work. It looks like Marion County Judge/Exec. Daughtery has fulfilled his commitment to getting this corrected. If any of you see anything that looks like it may not be a legal gun ban, let us at KC3 know about it. Contact me right here with a PM.