• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Marsing Gun Show (Apr 24-25)

TopGunIdaho

imported post

Thanks for the reminder, I like this show better than Boise one. Cheaper guns, less dealers, more private party. No "I'll kill you if you touch it" people. HA HA
I brought a SKS to sell, sold it pretty fast. So if you have one for sale....bring em!
See you there!!!:celebrate

ISRAEL

imported post

Hola!!!!!! Como esta Ud.?

I been reading a lot about the people who are Ocing in another states, like Cal., Wash. etc and they are asking people to have a "recorder" ready if a policeman stop them. my question is : do we need a recorder here in Boise? I been O.Cing in Downtown Boise for several weeksand no problems, can you advise me about it, do you think we needed or it is only in "other states" I will appreciate your advise. Hasta la vista. Israel.

sykosoft

imported post

Though a beginner to it myself, I've had zero problems, and have begun to notice others who are open carrying as well. I say about it: "It's Idaho". We really do live in a pretty awesome state (with a decent government compared to the other options)

Michael

ecocks

imported post

I am really of two minds on this issue.

On one hand, I have never met an out-of-control cop where this was needed. The ones I dealt with have all been polite, reasonable and seemed to be motivated in dealing with the job.OTOH, I have heard recordings, and seen videos, where cops have felt compelled to be abusive,crossing over into harassment of law-abiding citizens and attempts to force a lecture on someone carrying.

Additionally, there have been a couple of times when I wished I had my voice recorder during conversations with other citizens. John's experience at the Alpha-Omega table being one example of that sort of incident.

Those of you who are curious about this should get on You-Tube and watch some of the New Hampshire, Californiaand Virginia OC/Police encounter videos to get an idea of how these events progress, some are positive, some are...not positive. It lets you think through how you will react, although it takes a couple of times to get over that automatic lick-up to an adrenaline-fueled, nervous state.

I still believe that the key in this is desensitization and understanding of the laws. Just as people no longercall in and breathlessly inform dispatchers that, "OMG, a black man is walking through my neighborhood! Can you send a patrol car to check him out?", we should strive to get both the citizens and the police to become accepting of carry. When the police get tired of answering these calls they will begin pushing back on the 9-1-1 staff to screen for different behaviors before accepting it as a call to be investigated.

Just imagine the consternation of the police if they got one of these calls and showed up to see 40 armed citizens walking around with their children, snacking on tamales, playing on the swings and chatting over root beer floats. Do you think they can strip police protection off the the streets long enough to ID everyone? They simply don't have the manpower to keep it up, IF we continue to assert our rights. What would be the reality of coping with 30 OC-ing citizens scattered separatelyaround a town like Meridian or Nampa on Saturday around lunchtime?

Porter N

imported post

I'll try to make it out to the gun show, if i dont get lost on the way. I've never been to Marsing (or a gun-show). Google Maps is my friend. :)

I do have a voice recorder, I try to carry it with me everywhere when OCing but i've never had to use it. i've had some laughs listening to parts of my day though. (me singing in the car or talking to myself) I've also only ever been stopped twice by employees or security of places i was OCing. the private security company that kicked me out of one place did have a Boise cop with them, but I was never disarmed or really stopped. they've just asked me to leave.

None2Slow

imported post

Anybody want to car pool to the show? Give me a call. I know a couple of you were going to grab a bite in the morning. Maybe we can meet up there before going in.

ecocks

imported post

Good show, much more laid back and easy to chat than the larger shows.

As TopGun mentioned, the bargains seemed to be a bit better as well.

None2Slow

imported post

Did John ever get his junk out of the drawer and get that carbine? :pj/k It was pretty laid back other then the little comments about if my gun was loaded or not. Over all I had a good time and Ed, my daughter says thank you again for the cookie.

sykosoft

imported post

I'll be heading there myself, and trying to bring friends/family.

Michael

sykosoft

imported post

Picked up:

An SKS ($200)
A marlin bolt action 12 gauge ($95)
A 22 revolver (the regent?) ($100) - This one has some issues, it'll be going back to the seller tomorrow

Michael

sykosoft

imported post

Also added to my collection today:

1. Remington 11-48 semi-auto shotgun. Bought it for $100, as the bolt was jammed closed with a spent round in it. After a little disassembly, got the round out, fixed the jammed bolt, and plan to test it tuesday afternoon. I also modified the magazine tube (as it was a sportsman model) to accept all 4 rounds instead of just 2.
2. Hiawatha IVR30 (Savage model 30)...boy is it ugly. I'm not sure it'll even fire. It's worrisome in that sometimes the bolt doesn't lock closed when pumped. Anyone have any experience with a savage pump shotgun/gunsmithing?

Michael