• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Martial arts video I thought I would share - MOVED TO LOUNGE

Ruby

Hi,
Just thought i would share this video with you guys. .....every little bit helps.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h__CdPeJoXo

Could a woman learn to use these techniques or Krav Maga? Neither one looks like they are based on strength. I have taken one self defense class that taught us how to break grabs and holds that was based on twisting, torque, not strength. I think all self defense starts "empty hands" and goes from there. You may have to get someone off of you to get to your gun. Just curious.

irish52084

A lot of this is akido based, and therefore judo and jiujitsu based. As someone who trained akido for over 3 years I can tell you that a lot of the techniques shown are virtually useless in real life. The untrained opponent can be manipulated pretty well to a point, but basic and quick is always best. Spinning around in wasted movement will get you hurt or killed really quickly.

As far as if women can learn these techniques, I see absolutely no reason why not. But, that said if I were directing a woman, or anyone for that matter, to an unarmed self defense training I would suggest you seek out the best legit MMA (mixed martial arts, or UFC as it is often mistakenly called) or Brazilian Jiu-jitsu gym in your area and put in a ton of hard work. Having trained AKido, Judo and boxing in the past and having trained Brazilian Jiu-jitsu and limited MMA for the last 2+ years I have gained anew perspective on self defense. Anyone can be trained to incapacitate a much larger/stringer untrained opponent in only a few weeks of quality training. Case in point, after training for several months and being a big strong guy, 6 foot 235 lbs with long athletic background, I was quite easily choked into submission my a 40+ year old women who had been training for roughly a year. It's a humbling experience, but I never underestimate people anymore.lol

Knowing how to put the combination of grappling, striking and defense together makes a huge difference in your ability to quickly end a conflict. I wish more people who choose to carry a firearm would take unarmed self defense as seriously as they do armed defense.

Sorry for the long post.

calgunner

1. Totally fine with the moving of this post. (just didn’t know really where to post it) Thank you.
2. The reason that I posted it was one… I thought it was kind of funny cause the music and two… I figured if one person on here who watch this video and remembered one move off of this video and it helped them save their life then my quest was completed. With that said (DO NOT THINK THAT FLYING AROUND IN THE AIR, SPINNING, FLIPPING YOUR ARMS AROUND WILL SAVE YOUR LIFE) Fight or flight people. If you have the chance to run go for it. If you must engage then do it fast and to the extream. When your life is on the line who cares about if you fought fair or not you kick him in the nuts. You gouge them eyes. You bite that arm. You break the leg you hit em with the rock or bottle. But do it fast and get the hell out of there.
3. A WOMAN….. yes I am married and I belive that a woman can learn anything. After all, my wife has learned to live with me. On a serious note yes she can and SHOULD. More women should learn to defend themselves. There are a ton of fast easy moves that a woman can make that will totally drop a 6’ guy but they have to be done fast. If the bad guy sees that you are ABOUT to make a move then its not going to work out to well for ya. Strength…. It helps but it is not everything. I have studied martial arts since I was 13 years old. I am 33 now. So if you do that math that is 20 years. Does that mean I know everything or I am some commando. NO WAY. All it means is I am a little more prepared if something goes wrong.

zack991

Could a woman learn to use these techniques or Krav Maga? Neither one looks like they are based on strength. I have taken one self defense class that taught us how to break grabs and holds that was based on twisting, torque, not strength. I think all self defense starts "empty hands" and goes from there. You may have to get someone off of you to get to your gun. Just curious.

I have personally seen well over 60 plus women take the same course I was taking over the year i took it. It is very simple to learn and these moves that are a reality based system will stop many threats at one time and can kill an attacker easy as well give you enough time to get away if you don't kill them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVkHh6gehu4&feature=related

Last edited:

Ruby

I have personally seen well over 60 plus women take the same course I was taking over the year i took it. It is very simple to learn and these moves that are a reality based system will stop many threats at one time and can kill an attacker easy as well give you enough time to get away if you don't kill them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVkHh6gehu4&feature=related

I think part of the problem in getting women to defend themselves using physical force is the same as getting them to use a gun. Little girls are not raised to be as physical as little boys nor are they taught about self defense of any kind. (Usually. There are exceptions). I think that mentality has to be overcome first before a woman will learn self defense. She has to come to value herself and her safety above other people's opinions. Men have no problem with this as they are expected to be more physical. Sometimes it takes an incident to wake them up. I am thinking of the woman that was attacked and raped in Covington the other night. She fought back but not effectively enough. I hope she will learn some self defense; so sorry that happened to her. I think the only thing worse than raping a woman is killing her.

Ruby

I went on the internet and found a place in Bellevue called Krav Maga Eastside Training Center. I will check them out as far as classes and cost. If anyone has been there and knows anything about them I would appreciate the information. Thanks!

calgunner

Ruby,

That is awesome. Let me know how it goes. and remember what i said about playing out diffrent scenarios in your head. When you fight for life it wont always be on mats and the other guys or girl wont have gloves on. Play for real

Ruby

Ruby,

That is awesome. Let me know how it goes. and remember what i said about playing out diffrent scenarios in your head. When you fight for life it wont always be on mats and the other guys or girl wont have gloves on. Play for real

Hi Calgunner,
I went to the Krav Maga Training Center in Bellevue this evening. I was invited to either watch or participate. I participated. I had to sign a waiver that if I was hurt or killed I wouldn't sue them. I would imagine this is standard; I have to sign a waiver at the range. It was a beginner class and there were probably 30 people; just one other woman, so we teamed up together. Had to do warm up exercise first. I thought I was in pretty good shape, having worked out at the gym for a year-boy was I wrong! It's still difficult to get up from all the squats we did, as well as all the other exercises. I sweated profusely and drank lots of water. They taught us punches and kicks to the groin. I think I want to continue with this as soon as I am financially able. It's $75 down (that goes to the national organization) $95 a month and a 1 year commitment. Classes are held 5 days a week and you can attend as many as you like. I still want to check out the center in Seattle and see what it's like. There is a high likelyhood of getting injured, which I am concerned about; that's even in their waiver. I can't get injured and be unable to work; I am self employed and if I don't work I don't earn. So we shall see. I don't think it is necessary to get hurt to learn this. I can see how it could happen though and the waiver is necessary so the business can protect itself. I will try not to let that put me off. The guy that runs it talked about a woman who was injured and out for a little while, but she did come back. I also picked up a book, Complete Krav Maga by Darren Levine and John Whitman. Sorry this is so long, just wanted to give you an update.:)

zack991

Hi Calgunner,
I went to the Krav Maga Training Center in Bellevue this evening. I was invited to either watch or participate. I participated. I had to sign a waiver that if I was hurt or killed I wouldn't sue them. I would imagine this is standard; I have to sign a waiver at the range. It was a beginner class and there were probably 30 people; just one other woman, so we teamed up together. Had to do warm up exercise first. I thought I was in pretty good shape, having worked out at the gym for a year-boy was I wrong! It's still difficult to get up from all the squats we did, as well as all the other exercises. I sweated profusely and drank lots of water. They taught us punches and kicks to the groin. I think I want to continue with this as soon as I am financially able. It's $75 down (that goes to the national organization) $95 a month and a 1 year commitment. Classes are held 5 days a week and you can attend as many as you like. I still want to check out the center in Seattle and see what it's like. There is a high likelyhood of getting injured, which I am concerned about; that's even in their waiver. I can't get injured and be unable to work; I am self employed and if I don't work I don't earn. So we shall see. I don't think it is necessary to get hurt to learn this. I can see how it could happen though and the waiver is necessary so the business can protect itself. I will try not to let that put me off. The guy that runs it talked about a woman who was injured and out for a little while, but she did come back. I also picked up a book, Complete Krav Maga by Darren Levine and John Whitman. Sorry this is so long, just wanted to give you an update.:)

I am pretty sure I will start it up again if I get this prison job I applied for. I thought everyone would get a kick out of this video of one of the best instructors I have ever seen.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnZ0sfOiuIM

Ruby

I am pretty sure I will start it up again if I get this prison job I applied for. I thought everyone would get a kick out of this video of one of the best instructors I have ever seen.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnZ0sfOiuIM

If you go to work in a prison I would think that you would NEED to know this or something similar. Hope you get the job and thanks for sharing the video.

gsx1138

Honestly, even basic Tae Kwon Do or Karate is better than nothing. Most people get their ideas on how a fight will go from movies. At least with a martial arts class you can learn leverage, timing, and closing a distance.

ODA 226

A lot of this is akido based, and therefore judo and jiujitsu based. As someone who trained akido for over 3 years I can tell you that a lot of the techniques shown are virtually useless in real life.

As someone who has taken taken and taught KI AIKIDO for 20+ years, I can testify that you don't know $hit about AIKIDO. You can't even spell AIKIDO correctly! BUT! I'm a big fan of Bas too! ;)

Last edited: