• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mass shooting increasing, says Congressional Research Svc

Eeyore

FUQ from USA Today http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/08/04/report-mass-public-shootings-rise/31071301/

"Mass public shootings have increased in frequency from 1.1 a year to 4.5 a year since the 1970s, according to a new report by the Congressional Research Service.

The report, sent to members of Congress on Friday, found that in the 1970s, mass public shootings killed roughly six people a year and injured two. From 2010 to 2013, there were an average of 33 deaths in mass shootings each year, with 28 additional people injured."

In the past, antis have massaged the statistics to try to give this impression, and statisticians like John Lott can blow them out of the water. His review is at http://crimepreventionresearchcente...t-this-increase-is-statistically-significant/, and he seems to be quibbling on this one. Looking at Figure 3 at Lott's website bolsters his assertion that the change is statistically insignificant, but looking at Fig. 9 it'd be hard to argue there isn't an upward trend in mass-murder rate

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Mass shootings are precipitated by what? The availability of guns or the GFZs themselves?

I subscribe to the latter.

beebobby

More certifiable folks on the street.
Budget cuts and the "let them eat cake" attitude during the 80s shut down many mental health facilities and jacked up the homeless population. Suprisingly, California led the movement to move patients out of mental facilities into private accommodations.
http://www.salon.com/2013/09/29/ronald_reagans_shameful_legacy_violence_the_homeless_mental_illness/

Plus, the GOTP has voted down bills that would help veterans (who make up a disproportional percentage of the homeless) who may be on the edge. They voted down the Wounded Veteran Job security Act, a veterans retraining act, of course the infamous VA healthcare facility bill, bills to help homeless vets and most recently one very ugly Congressman held hostage a program that would help soldiers with PTSD saying it costs too much (I think it was for $ 22 million) then voted for yet another tax cut for the rich.

I don't know what the solution might be.

Last edited: