• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Massive publicity follows Green Bay open carry picnic!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://www.fox11online.com/dpp/news/news_wluk_greenbay_open_carry_picnic_200908081700_rev1

http://www.wbay.com/Global/story.asp?S=10871471

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20090808/GPG0101/90808037/1978&located=rss

--

Open_carry_picnic_heldc1dfdd3c-0bc9-4fc2-bf90-b3f1116e9be50000_20090808223859_320_240.JPG

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

The general news media sickens me with their mistakes, in the article in the link to WBAY it states
In Wisconsin, openly carrying a registered firearm is legal
We all know there is no such thing as "Registering" a firearm in WI. If the reporter cannot get a simple fact like that correct, how is one to expect any accuracy to any of their reporting?

smithman

imported post

I have one comment on the fox11 story. The one man made reference to PERMITS. This is not a good thing since NO PERMIT is required to OC here in WI. People who watch the news will hear the word permit and assume that it is a privilege and not a right. Please do not use the word PERMIT in any future newscasts.

Otherwise, a good report. The news reporter made reference to the fact that only WI and IL do not have a legal ability to conceal a firearm. But that is a moot point, now that we have the attorney general and the law on our side. The entire state of WI is now OC friendly. LEOs will be used to it in two years.

It has been the summer for OC here in WI.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

smithman wrote:
The one man made reference to PERMITS. This is not a good thing since NO PERMIT is required to OC here in WI. People who watch the news will hear the word permit and assume that it is a privilege and not a right....
Otherwise, a good report. The news reporter made reference to the fact that only WI and IL do not have a legal ability to conceal a firearm. But that is a moot point, now that we have the attorney general and the law on our side. The entire state of WI is now OC friendly.

This illustrated that we still have some educating to do.

smithman wrote:
Otherwise, a good report. The news reporter made reference to the fact that only WI and IL do not have a legal ability to conceal a firearm. But that is a moot point, now that we have the attorney general and the law on our side. The entire state of WI is now OC friendly.
Definitely NOT moot. With the Gun Free School Zones, Public building restrictions, carry in vehicle prohibitionsetc... The entire state is definitely not OC friendly. We NEED to be able to legally conceal carry in order to fully exercise our right to bear arms. Along with a CCW permit systen, we want OC to remain unprohibited and no permit required. Of course AK and VT CCW would be ideal, but that would take much longer.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

This not only illustrates that we have some educating to do but also it illustrates this real problem with 'education'; what is education and what is agit-prop? If principle is abandoned by the gun rights community then the moral high ground is lost.

Which part of "shall not be infringed" is not understood? What is permitted is privilege granted by the tyrant Leviathan and not a right. Follow the money if not the logic to find the BCPGV/NRA shock brigades benefitting.

Interceptor_Knight wrote:
smithman wrote:
The one man made reference to PERMITS. This is not a good thing since NO PERMIT is required to OC here in WI. People who watch the news will hear the word permit and assume that it is a privilege and not a right....

This illustrated that we still have some educating to do.

smithman wrote:
Definitely NOT moot. With the Gun Free School Zones, Public building restrictions, carry in vehicle prohibitionsetc... The entire state is definitely not OC friendly. We NEED to be able to legally conceal carry in order to fully exercise our right to bear arms. Along with a CCW permit systen, we want OC to remain unprohibited and no permit required. Of course AK and VT CCW would be ideal, but that would take much longer.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
If principle is abandoned by the gun rights community then the moral high ground is lost.

Which part of "shall not be infringed" is not understood? What is permitted is privilege granted by the tyrant Leviathan and not a right.

Currently 46 of the 48 States which allow CCW require a permit. Having a premit is better than no CCW as we have now.

There is no such thing as "no compromise" in politics. In light of the SCOTUS ruling and position which was released after the Heller case, it is evident that "shall not be infringed" is not an absolute right nor will it be in our lifetimes.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
If principle is abandoned by the gun rights community then the moral high ground is lost.

Which part of "shall not be infringed" is not understood? What is permitted is privilege granted by the tyrant Leviathan and not a right.

Currently 46 of the 48 States which allow CCW require a permit. Having a premit is better than no CCW as we have now.

There is no such thing as "no compromise" in politics. In light of the SCOTUS ruling and position which was released after the Heller case, it is evident that "shall not be infringed" is not an absolute right nor will it be in our lifetimes.
I will not compromise....I will not compromise...I will not compromise....
I will not support Permitted Concealed Carry ( Also known as Gun Owner Registration) Period! I will not give up Open Carry for Concealed Carry.
If this organization takes up support for such cause I will withdraw my support for this organization.

As much as Doug and I bump heads on here at times, I absolutely agree with him on the issues. He is absolutely right, "What part of shall not be infringed is not understood?"
Anyone who supports permitted CCW or trading OC for CCW is a lobbyist of the worst kind and obviously has ulterior motives.

Molon Labe!
Carry On!

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
I will not compromise....I will not support Permitted Concealed Carry ( Also known as Gun Owner Registration) Period! I will not give up Open Carry for Concealed Carry.
If this organization takes up support for such cause I will withdraw my support for this organization.

This is Open Carry .org. "This Organization" is obviously concerned with "normalizing" Open Carry.Concealed carry is obviously beyond the scope of OC.org.
There are, however, individuals such as myself who support CCW and actually have non resident permits for other states. Anyone who supports WI CCW should be covered by non resident permits in as many states a practical if you have any plans to travel.
I also am not interested in leveraging CCW with OC. We should keep OC as unregulated.

You can stand your ground right to your grave and accomplish nothing. This battle is political. It is part of the battle to sway public opinion. To say no CCW unless it is not permitted is simply not practical in Wisconsin. Such a grass roots movement will never germinate from the root. Permitted CCW made excellent progress right up until voth Vetoes from Dumb Doyle.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

You can stand your ground right to your grave and accomplish nothing. This battle is political. It is part of the battle to sway public opinion. To say no CCW unless it is not permitted is simply not practical in Wisconsin. Such a grass roots movement will never germinate from the root. Permitted CCW made excellent progress right up until voth Vetoes from Dumb Doyle.
Sounds very similar to what the British said just before the Revolution!
And by the way that started as a "grass roots"movement as well.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

I was very much trained in gun advocacy politics by the principals, even now, of Grass Roots Gun Rights South Carolina http://www.scfirearms.org. The one person in gun rights that can call me to heel is GRGRSC's VP Director of Legislative Action.

I carried a permitted concealed weapon for about ten years. I trained to become a SC certified CWP instructor. I then discovered the lie that is the NRA. Preaching compromise enables the infringements that allows the NRA to continue.

Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly with such an intractable foe as willful ignorance.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
Sounds very similar to what the British said just before the Revolution!
And by the way that started as a "grass roots"movement as well.

The former British "subjects" who became felons by firing upon the British Regulars were united in a common interest to be self governing. The Revolution began in their hearts and minds long before those shots were fired on April 19th 1775 .

Because of their efforts, we have what they fought and died for. The current revolution needs to be expressed at the polls. Our "rights" and "liberties"have been steadily eroded over the past 200+ years. You can not expect to ignore this and be successful. It is also simply not practical nor desireable to throw the baby out with the bathwater at this point. Setting goals which may be a stretch but are attainable make much more sense than dreaming the impossible dream. The entire world political structure functions on some level of compromise. Our founding fathers bickered among themselves more than they agreed upon issues when our great nation was founded and the documents we hold valuable were created. Compromise was the rule even during the birth of our nation.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

The former British "subjects" who became felons by firing upon the British Regulars were united in a common interest to be self governing. The Revolution began in their hearts and minds long before those shots were fired on April 19th 1775 .
You may call them felons, I and many others call them Patriots!

Because of their efforts, we have what they fought and died for.
And I for one am not willing to compromise or submit to a compromise to enjoy any of the inalienable rights handed down to us from our fore fathers.

The current revolution needs to be expressed at the polls. Our "rights" and "liberties"have been steadily eroded over the past 200+ years. You can not expect to ignore this and be successful.

I am not ignoring anything. The problem with the polls is, the elected officials who have lied and cheated their way into office as well as during their time in office have no interest in what is determined at the polls. Their only interest lies in their own personal agenda which is usually fueled by lobbyists with deep pockets.

It is also simply not practical nor desireable to throw the baby out with the bathwater at this point. Setting goals which may be a stretch but are attainable make much more sense than dreaming the impossible dream.

Goals are only impossible when the goal setter stops believing in the cause of which the goal was originally set. Regardless of what anyone says, nonpermitted CCW is not impossible. Vermont for one is a prime example that it is possible. Nothing good comes easy.

The entire world political structure functions on some level of compromise.

Your absolutely right and look at the mess the world is in now. You may not agree but it is true. Compromise brings about things such as NAFTA, the United Nations, and Dictatorship, all of which we can do without. All of which have helped to create the situations the world faces today.

Our founding fathers bickered among themselves more than they agreed upon issues when our great nation was founded and the documents we hold valuable were created. Compromise was the rule even during the birth of our nation.

Very true, and we bicker among ourselves here on this forum as well. But in general and as a whole IMHO, I think we all agree that we should and would never give up OC for CCW and that permitted CCW is only a privilege and not a right in the governments eyes and therefor should never be allowed to exist.

Not only is permitted CCW another form of government control it is also Gun Owner Registration.

In the event, the Feds ever decide they are taking our fire arms whether we like it or not, All permit owners will be the first on their list.

I for one will die first. As much as I am not a fan of the NRA, I will use the quote, "they will have to pry them from my cold dead hands."

In case you have forgotten the 2nd Amendment was written to insure that we did not have to compromise.

I may suggest that the only "Compromise" we should entertain involves the very methods we are using to obtain our goals. Maybe we should contact our brothers in Vermont and seek their advice and wisdom.

Molon Labe!