• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

meck county concealed carry appeal process

dhog2702

This has been a long process. I had my concealed carry permit issued by Mecklenburg County as of 2013. When I applied for renewal in Dec of 2017 I was denied. Because of new background check requirements apparently a "visit" to a psych hospital for alcohol treatment in 1999 in Pennsylvania was labeled as involuntary, hence the denial. Have petitioned to have record removed from NICS, successful, had appeal to overturn sheriffs denial, successful. still waiting on permit. Here's the timeline for anyone else going through this.

January 2013 received CCP from Mecklenburg County
December 2017 denied renewal by Meck county
January 2018 had psych eval done, submitted appeal
January 2018 to March 2018 crickets
April 2018 attorney filed for hearing to have IVC removed from NICS
July 2018 judge orders record removed
Sept 3 2018 hearing to appeal Sheriff denial, Judges orders rights restored
Sept 10 receive copy of judges order.
Sept 30th still no Permit. Sigh....

Oct 17, 2018 - Update: Apparently Meck County has said they cannot issue CCP because IVC is still in NICS. Even though NC judge ordered it removed. Supposedly an NC judge cannot order a record removed that PA put in the system. Supposedly PA will remove from Pennsylvania NICS but says they can't remove from national even though they put it in there. SMDH!!!!!

So to clarify: Had hearing in NC to have rights restored: Successful
Had hearing to appeal sheriffs denial: won
Despite jumping through every hoop meck county has asked I am still blocked. The system is broken

I and my attorney are baffled at the failure of this new background appeal process. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

solus

OpenDhog, welcome to the open carry forum, but why don’t you just open carry & get PPPs for 5$ each and w/5year expirations ?

seems a cheaper option.

dhog2702

OpenDhog, welcome to the open carry forum, but why don’t you just open carry & get PPPs for 5$ each and w/5year expirations ?

seems a cheaper option.

Thanks for the welcome Solus. Was actually not that expensive, just time consuming. Fortunately a good friend is an attorney and really helped me out. I'm thinking he has a gift card coming to his favorite range at the least :) If not for him this could have been not only drawn out, but expensive. I prefer to carry concealed. Maybe it's a case of "for you the blind that once could see"

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
............ Fortunately a good friend is an attorney and really helped me out. I'm thinking he has a gift card coming to his favorite range at the least :)

I had a legal problem with open carrying a few years ago. My atorny was an amazing asset to the entire fiasco. After the dust settled, (and I cashed the check from the suit) I sent him one of these.....................
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg

It is now "displayed" on the wall of his office.