• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Melting Pot No Guns

Aknazer

Yesterday I was at the Melting Pot in OKC and they had a "No Guns" sign (I noticed it as we were leaving). Has anyone talked to them about it or know what their corporate policy is?

Archerman99

I'll see what I can find out and contact them.
Also, it never hurts to have a few "Letter to Businesses" printed out and in your car for situations like this.
It could make a big impact if you are there face to face and say, this is what I just spent, and I won't be back if that sign stays up.

I'll let you know what I find out .
http://okoca.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Letter-to-Businesses.pdf

Archerman99

I don't think that the OP's fingers are broke ....

David, I don't disagree with you ,but I know some people my be hesitant to say anything to a business for whatever reason.
I don't mind helping anyone on matters like this, but I always encourage everyone on here to talk to these places yourself, don't just rely on other people to do it for you.

It's especially helpful if you just ate there, or if you're a regular or know someone that works there. That instant face to face can be more beneficial than the business receiving some random email or phone call from me.

We are all on here because we are all supporters of our Second Amendment rights and believe in standing up for our rights. We all have a duty to speak up for those rights, don't rely on someone else, or hope someone else is going to come along and do it for you.
On the other side of that coin, we also should all have a duty to stand next to and support each other. Anytime someone does not speak, we should support them, give them encouragement and the courage to speak up, and pick up the ball where they left off.

That being said, I called The Melting Pot just a few minutes ago, they are a franchise and the owner was not there. I was given an email address to the GM and I will be contacting her shortly.

Last edited:

Aknazer

I didn't say anything because it was my wife's birthday and as such I didn't feel it was right to talk to them right then. I also realized that the "No Guns, No Money" cards I had just bought I had forgot to put into my wallet. The point of the thread was to 1) let other people know, 2) to find out if anyone already had contact with them, and 3) if people had already contacted them if they knew what the policy was. No point in me barking up the tree if they have a policy like 7-11 and aren't going to change it.

rushcreek2

My primary question for the establishment's management would be ..."Do you not realize that your sign serves as an announcement to criminals as well as your customers that your business is an optimum target for an armed robbery ?"

Whether or not their customers unanimously comply with the policy or not, they are announcing to the world that everyone inside is unarmed, and are turning away a substantial number of potential customers who simply take exception to the posting of such a policy.

Archerman99

I didn't say anything because it was my wife's birthday and as such I didn't feel it was right to talk to them right then. I also realized that the "No Guns, No Money" cards I had just bought I had forgot to put into my wallet. The point of the thread was to 1) let other people know, 2) to find out if anyone already had contact with them, and 3) if people had already contacted them if they knew what the policy was. No point in me barking up the tree if they have a policy like 7-11 and aren't going to change it.

Aknazer, I understand the position you were in and was not criticizing you for that at all. I was just trying to say that I encourage everyone to speak up whenever and however they can.

That being said, I got an email address to their GM and have contacted her. I am waiting for a reply back and will keep this thread informed. Hopefully we can get something changed.
My wife and I like Melting Pot and she would hate it if we couldn't go back.

Archerman99

Finally got a reply back from the owner of the Melting Pot today

Mr. Merrick,

Thanks for your note. I’m sorry that it has taken a few weeks to get back with you. Valentine’s is a busy time for us.

I had not even thought about the possibility of a “no open carry” sign. I think that is a perfect alternative. Truly, I did not even think that the “no firearms” sign was necessary, but my staff was so uneasy that I allowed it. The media hype around November did not help.

I hope that your member will consider returning to The Melting Pot again.

Becky Chapman, owner

I will be following up with her first thing in the morning to verify that the signs are either getting changed or coming down all together.

Archerman99

Followed up with Becky today, she said they will be changing their signs to No Open Carry. It's a start, here is her reply.

Hi Justin,

We will change them to “No Open Carry.” One week after the bill passed in November, we had a customer lay a gun on the table while drinking beer. It really upset my staff. So, I think to keep them at ease, we will not remove the signs, but I will be happy to change them to “No Open Carry.”

Perhaps you can let me know…. If you are carrying a gun, are you allowed to consume alcohol?

Becky Chapman, owner

hrdware

Followed up with Becky today, she said they will be changing their signs to No Open Carry. It's a start, here is her reply.

Hi Justin,

We will change them to “No Open Carry.” One week after the bill passed in November, we had a customer lay a gun on the table while drinking beer. It really upset my staff. So, I think to keep them at ease, we will not remove the signs, but I will be happy to change them to “No Open Carry.”

Perhaps you can let me know…. If you are carrying a gun, are you allowed to consume alcohol?

Becky Chapman, owner

Wow, I can see why they had the reaction they did. A customer had a firearm in their had that they laid on the table....even without drinking a beer, that would freak a lot of people out.

nonameisgood

Maybe a bit of definition about what constitutes "open carry", and be sure she understands that having a gun in your hand or sitting on the bar is NOT open carry. It is probably "unlawful display" or brandishing in most places. I would take it as a threat if I was a business operator, waiter, or patron.

Keylock

I'd suggest going to Ms Chapman with a copy of the SDA and show her the following...

TITLE 21 § 1272.1 CARRYING FIREARMS WHERE LIQUOR IS CONSUMED

A. It shall be unlawful for any person to carry or possess any weapon designated in Section 1272 of this title in any establishment where low-point beer, as defined by Section 163.2 of Title 37 of the Oklahoma Statutes, or alcoholic beverages, as defined by Section 506 of Title 37 of the Oklahoma Statutes, are consumed. This provision shall not apply to a peace officer, as defined in Section 99 of this title, or to private investigators with a firearms authorization when acting in the scope and course of employment, and shall not apply to an owner or proprietor of the establishment having a pistol, rifle, or shotgun on the premises. Provided however, a person possessing a valid handgun license pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act may carry the concealed or unconcealed handgun into any restaurant or other establishment licensed to dispense low-point beer or alcoholic beverages where the sale of low-point beer or alcoholic beverages does not constitute the primary purpose of the business.

Provided further, nothing in this section shall be interpreted to authorize any peace officer in actual physical possession of a weapon to consume low-point beer or alcoholic beverages, except in the authorized line of duty as an undercover officer.

Nothing in this section shall be interpreted to authorize any private investigator with a firearms authorization in actual physical possession of a weapon to consume low-point beer or alcoholic beverages in any establishment where low-point beer or alcoholic beverages are consumed.

B. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be punished as provided in Section 1272.2 of this title.

Archerman99

That is exactly what I sent her. I did tell her that to answer her question directly, it does not say anything about consuming alcohol, just being under the influence of. It's a grey area that is going to take case law to clear up. One amount will influence someone completely different than it will some one else, and what is abnormal behavior for one maybe fairly normal for another.

None the less, that is exactly what I sent her and offered to answer any other questions she may have

Keylock

The following covers being under the influence...

TITLE 21 § 1289.9 CARRYING WEAPONS UNDER INFLUENCE OF ALCOHOL

It shall be unlawful for any person to carry or use shotguns, rifles or pistols in any circumstances while under the influence of beer, intoxicating liquors or any hallucinogenic, or any unlawful or unprescribed drug, and it shall be unlawful for any person to carry or use shotguns, rifles or pistols when under the influence of any drug prescribed by a licensed physician if the after effects of such consumption affect mental, emotional or physical processes to a degree that would result in abnormal behavior. Any person convicted of a violation of the provisions of this section shall be punished as provided in Section 1289.15 of this title.

Any person convicted of a violation of the provisions of this section after having been issued a handgun license pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act shall have the license suspended for a term of six (6) months and shall be subject to an administrative fine of Fifty Dollars ($50.00), upon a hearing and determination by the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation that the person is in violation of the provisions of this section.

Any consumption is likely going to put one under "influence of alcohol" in this day and age with all the nannyism we live under and prosecutors seeking to advance their careers.

Anyways, concealed is concealed. If that's all the business allows, it's better than no carry.

Last edited:

okiebryan

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
I'd suggest going to Ms Chapman with a copy of the SDA and show her the following...

TITLE 21 § 1272.1 CARRYING FIREARMS WHERE LIQUOR IS CONSUMED

A. It shall be unlawful for any person to carry or possess any weapon designated in Section 1272 of this title in any establishment where low-point beer, as defined by Section 163.2 of Title 37 of the Oklahoma Statutes, or alcoholic beverages, as defined by Section 506 of Title 37 of the Oklahoma Statutes, are consumed. This provision shall not apply to a peace officer, as defined in Section 99 of this title, or to private investigators with a firearms authorization when acting in the scope and course of employment, and shall not apply to an owner or proprietor of the establishment having a pistol, rifle, or shotgun on the premises. Provided however, a person possessing a valid handgun license pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act may carry the concealed or unconcealed handgun into any restaurant or other establishment licensed to dispense low-point beer or alcoholic beverages where the sale of low-point beer or alcoholic beverages does not constitute the primary purpose of the business.

Provided further, nothing in this section shall be interpreted to authorize any peace officer in actual physical possession of a weapon to consume low-point beer or alcoholic beverages, except in the authorized line of duty as an undercover officer.

Nothing in this section shall be interpreted to authorize any private investigator with a firearms authorization in actual physical possession of a weapon to consume low-point beer or alcoholic beverages in any establishment where low-point beer or alcoholic beverages are consumed.

B. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be punished as provided in Section 1272.2 of this title.

This statute has nothing to do with carry at the Melting Pot, since it's not a bar. This only serves to confuse the issue.

Clearly, lying a gun on the table in a public establishment is not gonna fly. Someone who does that needs to have the cops called on them. I keep hearing these stories, but no arrests. Makes me seriously question the validity of such stories.

Gary S

Really, a bad guy won't take his gun and simply place it on the table top and not rob or commit another crime while there. Id also hate to think there would be a licensed weapons carrier that would do such an inexcusable move as that. Which leave only two more possibility. 1 never happened, and is just a way for an employee to stir the pot. 2 it was a child with a cap gun. Or something along those lines. If I was present to see such a bold move the cops would have been called. Then again if they are posted Id be eating my meal else where.

Keylock

This statute has nothing to do with carry at the Melting Pot, since it's not a bar. This only serves to confuse the issue.

Clearly, lying a gun on the table in a public establishment is not gonna fly. Someone who does that needs to have the cops called on them. I keep hearing these stories, but no arrests. Makes me seriously question the validity of such stories.

Was replying to Archerman99's post above where Ms. Chapman stated a customer layed his arm on the table while drinking a beer. As far as I know the statute prohibits carrying while under the influence of alcohol. So posting the statue to relay to Ms. Chapman is relevant.

Hi Justin,

Becky Chapman, owner

Gary S

You can go out to say, hideaway, order some fried mushrooms and have a beer with it while carrying. Nothing about that is illegal. It states that Being intoxicated while carrying is illegal. Now you need to know how much beer does it take to intoxicate me verses you or him. That's the grey area, but legally, your server is not allowed to serve you alcohol to the point of intoxication.
I do know while carrying open, ill stick to tea or a soft drink. I don't think it would be a good image drinking a beer with a gun on my hip, but that's just me.

hrdware

You can go out to say, hideaway, order some fried mushrooms and have a beer with it while carrying. Nothing about that is illegal. It states that Being intoxicated while carrying is illegal. Now you need to know how much beer does it take to intoxicate me verses you or him. That's the grey area, but legally, your server is not allowed to serve you alcohol to the point of intoxication.
I do know while carrying open, ill stick to tea or a soft drink. I don't think it would be a good image drinking a beer with a gun on my hip, but that's just me.

Not necessarily. The statute actually says it is illegal to carry while under the influence of several things...it does not say while intoxicated.

There is no precise definition in this statute of what constitutes "under the influence". An overzealous person would argue that you are under the influence with the first drink....someone more laid back would argue it was after the second or third glass.