• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Montana - A Good State to go Off Grid

The Truth

Augustin, please ignore Primus and please don't get banned. Thanks.

-people that enjoy your posts

rightwinglibertarian

Augustin, please ignore Primus and please don't get banned. Thanks.

-people that enjoy your posts

I can't see why any of that would get a person banned. Probably a mainstream forum, but not here. I've put together a selection of news sources that would certainly back up many of the things suggested. Take a look and be warned. I will remove the link if this is allowed but I think as it directly related to the topic at hand it's suitable

Primus

I can't see why any of that would get a person banned. Probably a mainstream forum, but not here. I've put together a selection of news sources that would certainly back up many of the things suggested. Take a look and be warned. I will remove the link if this is allowed but I think as it directly related to the topic at hand it's suitable

Lol government funded ISIS website...

Thank you for warning me.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

The Truth

As far as a ban, mainly I mean in regards to dissent and insulting mods. I could also see certain people making it tougher on him by trolling the living b'jeezus out of him until he finally stops caring and lets the insults fly.

There's a difference between trolling with stupidity and a doing so with intellect. Some people will never learn or don't care to.

rightwinglibertarian

Lol government funded ISIS website...

Thank you for warning me.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Is it so much of a stretch with Obarfa saying positive things about Islam and practically supporting the Muslim brotherhood who we know full well are terrorists? That and the fact that the Council on American–Islamic Relations (CAIR) is a front for Hamas? Believe you me, you want your guns as more areas of the country could well end up like Dearborn Michigan and worse. NOTE: Language warning for video

rightwinglibertarian

As far as a ban, mainly I mean in regards to dissent and insulting mods. I could also see certain people making it tougher on him by trolling the living b'jeezus out of him until he finally stops caring and lets the insults fly.

There's a difference between trolling with stupidity and a doing so with intellect. Some people will never learn or don't care to.

*chuckles* This Constitutionalist 'extremist' has survived so I think it will be ok :p

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
The more common infraction points do have an expiration date. The point being to instruct rather than punish.

However, a collective total of such points may result in a time out/loss of privileges for a period of time and serious infractions never expire.

Our conduct here is on public display and common courtesy should prevail - taking the high road is worth the effort.
Kind of curious, is there a list some where that shows the point scale and punishment? I didn't even know OCDO had a points system...

The Truth

Moderators have the ability to moderate at their discretion. There is only one "right" guaranteed to the moderator by the rules and that is the "right to contact."

"Contact for non-moderation activities is governed by forum rules."

^^What does this omit?

I'd be interested to see a list if one does indeed exist.

Rules: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules

Last edited:

TexasOC

Let's see who can get to 100 points first!

Nah, too easy. All you have to do is take a position that contradicts that of a moderator.

WalkingWolf

Let's see who can get to 100 points first!

Nah, too easy. All you have to do is take a position that contradicts that of a moderator.

I have done it many times, and even recently. I don't think I have any points, unless they are secret points.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Kind of curious, is there a list some where that shows the point scale and punishment? I didn't even know OCDO had a points system...
Not specifically as such for public view. You see/have available a set of 22 written rules in the Forum Rules, but there exists the right of the administration to make called decisions as deemed necessary - hopefully infrequently.

The forum rules reference "We reserve the right to impose immediate bans for such behavior" - for particularly egregious conduct. It is from there that "points and punishment" are derived.

The infraction point system is exercised by the administration when the behavior of a user/member doesn't warrant outright banning, although that could end up being the result. You will see practically no evidence of its use, as notice is accomplished by PM. It is a private matter. Generally a warning or caution is given first, though that is not required.

Firearms Iinstuctor

I'll try and get this back on target having spent a lot of time in Montana there are worst places to live off the grid.

I would try to find the areas of the state that are more moderate in climate then the areas that have very hard winters lots of snow.

Wooded land would be very useful with water would be very nice.

Living off the grid is very hard work and takes a lot of time unless you have lots of money to afford the very best in equipment.

There is a reason on the grid power, access to propane, liquid fuel deliveries, hardware stores ect. make living a whole lot easier.

Have you ever tried to make screws and nails by hand.

The idea that one can be self supporting and only reliant on your self is a fantasy that is not supportable in the real world.

MontanaResident

I'll try and get this back on target having spent a lot of time in Montana there are worst places to live off the grid.

I would try to find the areas of the state that are more moderate in climate then the areas that have very hard winters lots of snow.

Wooded land would be very useful with water would be very nice.

Living off the grid is very hard work and takes a lot of time unless you have lots of money to afford the very best in equipment.

There is a reason on the grid power, access to propane, liquid fuel deliveries, hardware stores ect. make living a whole lot easier.

Have you ever tried to make screws and nails by hand.

The idea that one can be self supporting and only reliant on your self is a fantasy that is not supportable in the real world.

Dick Proenneke did pretty good. Had some supplies flown in from time to time, but really true off the grid living.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Proenneke

Firearms Iinstuctor

If that is the way one wants to live it can be done.

I see no mention of a wife or children.

A lot harder now days especially in the lower 48 lots more rules and regulations in a lot of places.

Higher taxes, building codes, property prices all makes it harder. Can't just home stead land like one could in AK until about 1974.

But if one wants to live buy themselves with out much of any thing one can do it.

I have relatives that are old order German Baptists that live off the grid they live very simple hard working lives.

But are still dependent on the out side for many things including making money.

They sell their goods and skills to out siders.

Augustin

That is very true. But living off-grid has different meanings to different people. Some would say that if you have propane delivered it is not being off-grid. Some say it is being totally self-suffieient and growing or hunting all your own food. Some say it is not being hooked up to the elctrical grid, and producing your own juice with solar, hydro, etc. More and more Americans are choosing to unplug. A couple of years back, Home Power magazine estimated that over 180,000 homes in the U.S. were generating their own power. I personally say that off-grid is whatever you want it to be; as long as you are prepared for the ultimate EMP blackout, you are effectively off-grid.

MontanaCZ

Case in point. We use solar, with a propane generator backup. Inside the house we are as modern as anything, with some allowances to reduce power consumption. We grow some food; hunt and raise our own meat. Totally self sufficient? Not by a long shot, but we can do ok.

Our next door neighbors (not that close, this is the sticks) have a very small cabin, minimal solar and a couple of deep cycle batteries. Basically they run a radio, lights, and TV. Their bathroom is an outhouse. They also have a large garden, and hunt/fish for their meat. Awesome people.

Suffice to say, if the grid went down in Two Dot, Montana, I would not have a clue. It also costs *me* about the same to live off grid as it did on, once you factor in the lifecycle of the batteries etc.. plus the 55 mile trips to get gas and groceries (not uncommon here anyway).