• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Montana FFL in home?

Erus

imported post

I found out, while working on getting my FFL for a home based small time operation, that Nevada does not allow that particular home based buisness. In other words there has to be a store front other than your primary place of residence. What about Montana?

Can you operate a small gun sales business from your home, presuming you meet all the ATF FFL requirements?

Any hint would be very interesting to me and mine.

Thanks

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Not sure about Montana.There are some out there, but not as many as there used to be.Here's why:

Back in 93, during the Klinton era,the gun dealer industrywas losing money to "Kitchen Table FFL's" like you want to be because they had no overhead costs so could sell substantially cheaper! The dealerspressured the ATF to do something to regulate them more.

What they basically did was say that as an FFL since you are making a substantial part of your income as a dealer from the sale of firearms, you are therefore running a business - subject to all the local restrictive business zoning laws, etc. Now you have to have proof that your home/businessis in the proper zone.

If you can be zoned, you can do it.

Erus

imported post

Thanks Bob.

Here in NV (clark county anyway) they wont zone you for a firearms related business.. though next door in Nye county they will.

I guess it will take pinning downa county in MT and asking the clerk (reading the laws) about the zoning regarding in-home business's.

I never wanted to make a ton of $$ doing it.. but just enough to make paying for the FFL worth it and getting some ease/wholesale deals on my own stuff.

Ah well... we'll see.

(still love the idea that my 14 yo daughter can OC thereif she chooses to)

MontanaCZ

imported post

Great Falls (Cascade County) has several that I know of, two of them I have used a bit. There are at least two that I know of in Helena/East Helena (Lewis and Clark County).

Usually in Montana, if you are outside the city limits, you can pretty much do what you want. The two in Great Falls are definitely in town though.

-MTCZ