• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Montana Open Carry

Brad Peterson

Hi everyone. I'm new to this site and new to Montana. I had a few questions about open carry in this state. I went and talked to the Cascade County Sheriff's Department about open carrying in the state and he told me that I can carry anywhere in the state except for in the city. I've done research and everything I've read says that cities CAN NOT ban open carry completely but can ban carrying in certain places. I've seen people open carrying and I've even talked to a few and they've all told me I can open carry anywhere in the state. Who should I believe? People and the research I've done or the cop working at the Sheriff's Department? Thanks for any advice.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Welcome to OCDO Brad.

Moving your thread to the Montana sub-forum as the questions are state specific.

As to asking a LEO about laws, that is something we never recommend. They frequently don't know or understand whereof they speak.

"Montana is a traditional open carry state. Localities are substantially preempted, but have limited power to prevent and suppress the carrying of concealed or unconcealed weapons to a public assembly, publicly owned building, park under its jurisdiction, or school, and the possession of firearms by convicted felons, adjudicated mental incompetents, illegal aliens, and minors."
http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=267

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?129324-Montana-Gun-Laws

Some local folks should chime in shortly and add to this.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
That's the same thing I've been reading everywhere. What exactly constitutes a publicly owned building? Is that a place like Walmart, or more like the treasury office?

Walmart is a privately owned company and their property is private property.

Public property = owned by state or local municipality.

That information was provided to you in my previous post - see links. It is up to you to read them.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I have already moved the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] one to the Montana sub-forum and deleted the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP].

I know it takes a while to get used to a new Forum, but it seems you not even reading the replies before asking the next question.

That's the same thing I've been reading everywhere. What exactly constitutes a publicly owned building? Is that a place like Walmart, or more like the treasury office?

Walmart is a privately owned company and their property is private property.

Public property = owned by state or local municipality.

That information was provided to you in my previous post - see links. It is up to you to read them.

Augustin

Hi everyone. I'm new to this site and new to Montana. I had a few questions about open carry in this state. I went and talked to the Cascade County Sheriff's Department about open carrying in the state and he told me that I can carry anywhere in the state except for in the city. I've done research and everything I've read says that cities CAN NOT ban open carry completely but can ban carrying in certain places. I've seen people open carrying and I've even talked to a few and they've all told me I can open carry anywhere in the state. Who should I believe? People and the research I've done or the cop working at the Sheriff's Department? Thanks for any advice.

Hi Brad,

I wrote a length piece about firearms freedom in Montana a couple of years ago. Perhaps it will help you understand our gun laws better.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...Arms-Week-CELEBRATE&highlight=reasons+Montana

There wasn't a single reply, so I'm assuming there wasn't much disagreement about what I wrote.

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
Brad, please review the links grapeshot provided you earlier in the thread. If you have any further specific questions following let us know. I think everyone here has covered most your questions so far, so I won't reiterate those.

HPmatt

I didn't see any OC in Big Sky or Belgrade a few weeks ago. Didn't notice any gunbuster signs either.
Did see a great logo from our snowmobile guide.

IMG_0660.jpg

Brad Peterson

So it's been a few weeks since I asked my question and I've been open carrying since. I haven't had any issues with anyone trying to make a big deal out of it. In fact, the first day I carried I had a guy walk up to me and tell me that he completely supports my decision to carry openly and what i stand for by doing so. I was surprised by that. I've never had anyone do that, even back home.

MontanaResident

So it's been a few weeks since I asked my question and I've been open carrying since. I haven't had any issues with anyone trying to make a big deal out of it. In fact, the first day I carried I had a guy walk up to me and tell me that he completely supports my decision to carry openly and what i stand for by doing so. I was surprised by that. I've never had anyone do that, even back home.

Same here. Most people don't notice, and those that do and feel compelled to say something, are positive and supportive.

mikeyb

Quick recap from vacation in Montana back in August.

Split time CC and OC, based on clothing and travel. When camping, I even had some interaction with the Ranger who said nil about the gun. The wife and I had to report the campers behind us that left their campfire burning. Seriously. After 2 massive fires started over the past 2 weeks, they don't put out their campfire. Freaking idiots. As the Ranger and my wife were talking, I came back from dumping garbage, with my 1911 on my hip. Whole lot of nothing going on, as it should be.

I OC'd in Glacier Nat'l Park, around the beach area on Lake McDonald, and hiking in to Granite Park Chalet. No one said nuthin.

Last edited: