• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Moustaches and Open Carry, do they mix?

Moustaches and Open Carry, do they mix?

• Total voters

Jon Bonavia

Banned
There is quite a range of 'mustaches', from his toothbrush mustache to the FooManChu that extends into Anton La Vey's beard. Neither extreme is particularly appropriate IMNHO.

Personally, I have worn a mustache all my life, as a memorial to my father, that has come to be more like David Suchet's Hercule Poirot mustache, but, again, not so extreme.

I think your good question is just the perennial question, on first impressions and their value/cost, asked again. Gun nuts (with all due respect and present company excepted, of course), the ones that are tattooed, pierced, mod-ed (new meaning to the 'Mod Squad') and raggedy-assed, don't do your movement any good.

eye95

If this were a serious poll, I would have picked, "meh."

Mustaches don't have any impact on one's ability to responsibly carry and present no image problems in the minds of many members of the public.

I just gotta wonder why this poll exists, unless it is all in fun.

eye95

There is quite a range of 'mustaches', from his toothbrush mustache to the FooManChu that extends into Anton La Vey's beard. Neither extreme is particularly appropriate IMNHO.

Personally, I have worn a mustache all my life, as a memorial to my father, that has come to be more like David Suchet's Hercule Poirot mustache, but, again, not so extreme.

I think your good question is just the perennial question, on first impressions and their value/cost, asked again. Gun nuts (with all due respect and present company excepted, of course), the ones that are tattooed, pierced, mod-ed (new meaning to the 'Mod Squad') and raggedy-assed, don't do your movement any good.

I must ask again, since you have not answered my previous questions, and I still have not yet seen you post on the actual subject of OC, why are you here?

Do you OC? Your advocacy so far would indicate not.

Daylen

funniest OC story I have. I go to dinner with a buddy of mine, I'm OC he is CC. He is wearing a shirt that says "guns don't kill people, people with mustaches do". He is clean shaven I have a prominent stash. The waiter says something about it with nervous humor. My friend and I just look at each other, seems this guy didn't realize I had a sidearm even though it was in plain view. Would have been far better if the waiter had noticed the sidearm after making his comment.

MK

funniest OC story I have. I go to dinner with a buddy of mine, I'm OC he is CC. He is wearing a shirt that says "guns don't kill people, people with mustaches do". He is clean shaven I have a prominent stash. The waiter says something about it with nervous humor. My friend and I just look at each other, seems this guy didn't realize I had a sidearm even though it was in plain view. Would have been far better if the waiter had noticed the sidearm after making his comment.

now that's funny.

As far as guns and mustaches mixing, a good handlebar mustache would probably mix pretty darn good with a Colt Peacemaker.

eye95

What about beards? Several different kinds of those around. How about long hair? Curly or straight? And let us not forget about those pesky fingernails.....:p

While a mustache or beard will have virtually no impact on OC, fingernails can be a problem. They are insensitive extensions of the body that vary in size over time, can catch on things, can get caught on things, can get in the way of using fingers, can get torn (causing pain and distraction), etc. Keep 'em trimmed.

sultan62

While a mustache or beard will have virtually no impact on OC, fingernails can be a problem. They are insensitive extensions of the body that vary in size over time, can catch on things, can get caught on things, can get in the way of using fingers, can get torn (causing pain and distraction), etc. Keep 'em trimmed.

What if you fingerpick guitar and use your nails?

Daylen

now he's telling people how to groom themselves! the grooming NAZI:p

Last edited:

Nevada carrier

A well groomed militia being necessary for the security of a free State, the right of the clean-shaven People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Last edited:

rickc1962

How did that work when you were 10? ha.ha.

confedneck

So a tattooed guy with a moustache, sideburns and a goatee is automatically bad for the OC and gun rights movement? Brilliant.

hogeaterf6

So a tattooed guy with a moustache, sideburns and a goatee is automatically bad for the OC and gun rights movement? Brilliant.

i'm screwed them. I got a shaved head, foo manchu, left arm is 3/4 sleaved in tats, non visable body piercing ;) , and a biker. Luckily I carry for myself and no 'movement'.

MarlboroLts5150

Good point. Except for my left thumbnail....great for stripping wires. :lol:

eye95

Good point. Except for my left thumbnail....great for stripping wires. :lol:

How long is it? How sharp do you keep it? Is it considered a deadly weapon? Are you licensed to carry that thing?

In my dart-throwing days, I kept a long right ring fingernail. The point of the dart rested in the crook formed by the nail and the finger. For some reason, that particular fingernail never presented a problem.