• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Moving from CT to IL

Copperhead333

Hello all, theirs a very good chance i will be relocating for a job to Aurora, IL. I just recently went through the processes in CT to obtain my permit.

http://vb.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?134058-Simsbury-CT-Application-Process-input

I'm kind of upset about having to go through the entire processes again which had already taken a little over 10 weeks in CT :(

Can someone please explain the easiest way possible to go through it again. Is there any parts i can skip because i have just went through it? Is it true once i get my license there it cancels my pistol permit in CT? Thank you in advance.

Va_Nemo

Condolences. For being in CT. And more for moving to IL. Not sure which is worse.

You should try to relocate south of the Mason Dixon line.

Nemo

lockman

State Researcher
If you locate outside of Cook County and don't reside in the city of Aurora you will be ok.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

junglebob

Condolences. For being in CT. And more for moving to IL. Not sure which is worse.

You should try to relocate south of the Mason Dixon line.

Nemo

CT is may issue and Illinois is shall issue, I think that is a big difference. We also have some good self defense laws. Also with finger prints supplied with the application the CCW license can be issued in as little as 45 days. Without it may take more like 90 to 120 days. If you've taken something like NRA basic pistol, or maybe the CT handgun course (I assume they require a course) you may only need 8 more hours of training.

If possible stay away from Chicago and Cook County. Law enforcement has 30 days to object to an application and Sheriff Dart of Cook County probably does this more that others.

Last edited:

Cort

Illinois is a shithole. move to a neighbouring state, you'll be better off. I left in 2008 and never looked back.

HP995

the-experts-agree-adolph-hitler-fidel-castro-joseph-stalin-mao-28154764.png

JTHunter2

Copperhead - there is only one thing I can say and that is "You have my condolences!"
AFAIK, nothing you have taken in CT will transfer to IL. If correct, you will have to take a 16 hour course unless you have already taken the NRA Pistol class, are ex-police, ex-military, or have a hunter safety course. Some of those will get you out of ~4 hours but I believe the NRA course will cut 8 hours. I have no idea what they charge for the 16 hr. courses up that way but prices here in Southern Illinois can vary between $150 and $350. Then there is the cost of the fingerprints that supposedly shorten the wait.
I would STRONGLY urge you to go to ILLINOISCARRY.COM as they have threads about "length of time", "problems", etc. in getting a CCW. BUT, before you can do ANY of that, you have to get your IL driver's license. THEN, you have to get your Firearm Owner's ID ( FOID ) as you can't possess or handle (legally) firearms OR ammunition in this state without the FOID.
Welcome to Purgatory. :mad: (n)