• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Moving to Manhattan KS

sha-ul

First, Thank you for your service to our country.
Second welcome to the free state of Kansas, home of real effing weather, real effing hot, real effing cold, real effing windy, but it is definitely real ;)
I know we have reciprocity for TX, not quite sure on Idaho, but there was a bill just introduced into the state senate would recognize carry permits from ALL other states.

PotterMP

Welcome to Fort Riley

Welcome to Fort Riley,
I'm home from Afghanistan on R&R just in time to help answer your question lol.

Manhattan follows KS state gun laws on open and concealed carry. They have restricted open carry in the "normal" areas. IE City Hall, Police Stations, ect. As for concealed carry: A Red Back and White "No gun" sign is your boundary. Check out the KS AG website for the concealed carry laws and learn them.

Warning: Manhattan is "Gun-o-phobic" city and Riley County PD is inexperienced with people who carry guns legally. I'm trying to change that one open carry at a time. Right before I left in December I spent 3 hours in handcuffs, my pistol confiscated, and charges filed against me for LEGALLY carrying my gun. Its a long story that ended a week later with a "Charges are dropped you can pick up your gun here at the PD" phone call from the citing officer.

A word of personal advice: Don't bring your guns on post period. The regulations for Privately Owned Weapons are so ridiculous that I even store mine off post and don't bring them on post. The range in Ogden in the best place to shoot in my opinion.

Hope this helps some,
Potter

Damiansar-15

Welcome to Fort Riley,
I'm home from Afghanistan on R&R just in time to help answer your question lol.

Manhattan follows KS state gun laws on open and concealed carry. They have restricted open carry in the "normal" areas. IE City Hall, Police Stations, ect. As for concealed carry: A Red Back and White "No gun" sign is your boundary. Check out the KS AG website for the concealed carry laws and learn them.

Warning: Manhattan is "Gun-o-phobic" city and Riley County PD is inexperienced with people who carry guns legally. I'm trying to change that one open carry at a time. Right before I left in December I spent 3 hours in handcuffs, my pistol confiscated, and charges filed against me for LEGALLY carrying my gun. Its a long story that ended a week later with a "Charges are dropped you can pick up your gun here at the PD" phone call from the citing officer.

A word of personal advice: Don't bring your guns on post period. The regulations for Privately Owned Weapons are so ridiculous that I even store mine off post and don't bring them on post. The range in Ogden in the best place to shoot in my opinion.

Hope this helps some,
Potter

Potter: did you file a suit against the offending City? I personally believe this is the fastest way to make a culture and attitude change of "gun-o-phobic" police departments...

jdflightops

was Merdian Idaho, now Texas, soon to be Manhattan
Potter: did you file a suit against the offending City? I personally believe this is the fastest way to make a culture and attitude change of "gun-o-phobic" police departments...

Potter MP, thanks for the info. I had to re-register for some reason so I no longer am using jdgypsy. Any way, will PM you. I am downrange as well, would be cool if your at the same location, wouldn't mind linking up and BSing about KS and some OC info.

I have also looked at other ranges for long range stuff, out to 500-1000yrd. Not much out there, sort of disappointed, I have a great 1000yrd at Hood and love it. Not gonna miss Ft. Hood but the range....definetly.

JD

jdflightops

was Merdian Idaho, now Texas, soon to be Manhattan
First, Thank you for your service to our country.
Second welcome to the free state of Kansas, home of real effing weather, real effing hot, real effing cold, real effing windy, but it is definitely real ;)
I know we have reciprocity for TX, not quite sure on Idaho, but there was a bill just introduced into the state senate would recognize carry permits from ALL other states.

Thanks sha-ul, too easy but appreciated. Thanks for the weather report as well, wife is not happy with the idea of moving to KS. I am straight on the laws for permits and where I can and can't go according to state law. Big question after reading the KS posts is the confusion or lack of a no BS answer on OC. Just not comfortable with trying it out with out knowing for sure. Guess I will get more answers as time goes and figure out for myself as I get closer to moving and link up with a few there.

In Idaho, there was never a question, truely an OC state. Alabama, not so even though the state said go ahead. The LEO in most towns will come and lock you up.

Thanks again.

JD

oldbanger

The State of Kansas recognizes concealed carry handgun licenses issued by the following states. In accordance with K.S.A. 75-7c03(c), the standards for licensure in these states are reasonably similar to or greater than the standards imposed by the State of Kansas. Persons with concealed carry licenses issued by these states must abide by Kansas concealed carry laws while traveling, visiting or working in the state of Kansas. Click here to view the statutes and regulations governing concealed carry in Kansas.

NOTE: Recognition of non-resident licenses does not apply to residents of Kansas. Kansas residents must have a Kansas concealed carry license to lawfully carry a concealed handgun in Kansas.

Read more about recognition of non-resident licenses.
Alaska Arizona Arkansas Colorado
Florida Hawaii[sic] Kentucky Louisiana
Michigan Minnesota Missouri Nebraska
Nevada New Jersey New Mexico North Carolina
North Dakota (Class 1) Ohio Oklahoma South Carolina
Tennessee Texas West Virginia

http://ag.ks.gov/public-safety/concealedcarry/out-of-state-license-recognition

Last edited:

PotterMP

The only reason I didn't was because I was headed out here to deployment. Wouldn't have been able to see it through. I think there is a high likely hood that it will happen again as much as I open carry and if so I will be filing a suit faster than they can blink. Not to mention the whole "MPs aren't real cops" conversation they were tossing around while I was in handcuffs. lol

Ryan Schram

i have had nothing but problems when OCing in manhattan. not being brought into custody at all, but of all problems i have ever had, it it always while loaded. I carry a 1911 and the visible locked and loaded freaks people out.

showme53

I live in Manhattan and OC all the time, LEOs have not bothered me, i do get a look here and their but mostly I get can you really do that and I educate them. so no problems here in Manhattan

shepseth

OC in manhattan

i just got my first handgun. what is the law in Manhattan ks for open carrying in my car. someone said as long as its in plain sight (i.e on the dashboard) does that sound right to you guys?

davidmcbeth

Banned
Must be a thrilling duty station to be posted to ... on their website homepage they note that they have sexual harassment issues ...

I'd ask for a new location, like Las Vegas ...

Last edited: