• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Moving to NH have a handgun transfer question

buketdude

imported post

Just to Clarify..If you move TO CT..you can bring your guns with you (minus the defined "AW")...but any regular handgun you can bring and have in your home. This is not NY,NJ or MASS...there is NO permit to possess in one's home...

nhsig220

imported post

buketdude wrote:
Just to Clarify..If you move TO CT..you can bring your guns with you (minus the defined "AW")...but any regular handgun you can bring and have in your home. This is not NY,NJ or MASS...there is NO permit to possess in one's home...

Nothing needs to be clarified, since they are NOT moving to CT. :banghead:

Gun4aDay

Just don't get caught in Mass

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't it a mandatory 1 yr sentence if caught? If you want to be safe, find an FFL up here and ship the gun to the FFL holder. You can then pick it up without hassle, strap it to your leg or sling it over your shoulder and go about your business...

mrjam2jab

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't it a mandatory 1 yr sentence if caught? If you want to be safe, find an FFL up here and ship the gun to the FFL holder. You can then pick it up without hassle, strap it to your leg or sling it over your shoulder and go about your business...

Ship thru FFL just to move? No way...just pack it up and move.

nhsig220

WRONG!

You do not need an FFL when you move. Where did you get that insane idea from?

decklin

You are protected by Federal Law concerning interstate travel. The law says you may travel through any necessary states to get to your destination. You are allowed reasonable stops along the way with no threat of consequence. Hotel, gas, restaurants, etc. This applies no matter where you are. NY law does not apply and cannot be enforced. Just don't worry about it. Even if you got pulled over that does not mean a police officer can just search your car. Keep it locked, unloaded, ammo separate, and out of sight. Out of sight, out of mind. You're stressing yourself for no reason.

rotorhead

You are protected by Federal Law concerning interstate travel. The law says you may travel through any necessary states to get to your destination. You are allowed reasonable stops along the way with no threat of consequence. Hotel, gas, restaurants, etc. This applies no matter where you are. NY law does not apply and cannot be enforced. Just don't worry about it. Even if you got pulled over that does not mean a police officer can just search your car. Keep it locked, unloaded, ammo separate, and out of sight. Out of sight, out of mind. You're stressing yourself for no reason.

For no other reason other than the fact that NY LEOs have and will again arrest folks for simple transport through their state. Their state laws make it so a person needs a permit to possess a handgun. This permit will not be given to out-of-staters, thereby setting them up for the fall. There's the catch. Do a search on recent arrests dealing with people who were merely transporting handguns through the state via airports or ground vehicles and you can see the state of confusion which exists in NY.

It's a state of confusion which the state then capitalizes on in terms of monetary gain. They get you for possession, offer you a plea bargain, get your little conviction, and then send you on your way. The only other option is to hire a lawyer at your expense, bail yourself out of jail, fight the case in court if the DA presses charges, and incur the expenses which apply with all of that.

The end result is either a conviction for possession, a plea deal, or a simple dropping of the charges in the end. All of these things involve jail time or bail money. An unnecessary impediment to your freedom of movement, and none of it can be recouped.

You're supposed to be covered under Federal law for transporting, but NY simply could give a **** less. Their intention is to keep firearms out of the hands of citizens, whether those citizens are residents of the state or not. The side benefit of monetary gain for the state via fines is an added attraction for them.

In the end, you have a fairly decent chance of getting the charges dropped, maybe. But, you have to go through the whole process starting with the arrest to get to that point. That's not something an average person need not to stress over. It's a very real possibility in that state.

Be careful out there.

Don't break the laws, but if you accidentally happen to transport a weapon through the state, be very aware of your rights concerning warrantless and voluntary searches.

Last edited:

hermannr

I'm confused, why is an FFL involved in handling your gun for you? It's yours. If you are moving from VA to CN or CN to NH or VA to NH, you unload it, put it in a lock box in the back of your vehicle and you go where you are going. CN is not like NY, you do not need a permission slip from the judge to own a pistol.

You are not moving to NY, NJ or MA, what is the problem? Yes in NY you need to be a resident, and you need a nanny permission slip to possess a pistol, but federal law covers the travel through the state for a non-resident. NY doesn't even have any reason to know there is a gun in the back of your rig.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
I copied this from the follwing NRA website http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/Federal/Read.aspx?id=59

[size="-1"][size="-1"][size="-1"][size="-1"][size="-1"][size="-1"][size="-1"]NEW YORK--The transportation of handguns is prohibited except by a resident with a license to carry.[/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]

I travel through NY with my guns all the time. Handguns too. I'm not giving them up to a cop; its the whole point of having them, duh.

People are like little sheep ... believing that you must obey an unlawful order.

decklin

I'm confused, why is an FFL involved in handling your gun for you? It's yours. If you are moving from VA to CN or CN to NH or VA to NH, you unload it, put it in a lock box in the back of your vehicle and you go where you are going. CN is not like NY, you do not need a permission slip from the judge to own a pistol.

You are not moving to NY, NJ or MA, what is the problem? Yes in NY you need to be a resident, and you need a nanny permission slip to possess a pistol, but federal law covers the travel through the state for a non-resident. NY doesn't even have any reason to know there is a gun in the back of your rig.

That is one point I was trying to make.

The biggest thing though is in order to even find the gun the cop would have to search the car. Do you guys make a habit out of letting a cop search your car? What sort of driving habits do you have that you are worried about a cop finding a gun you legally own?

A cop can not just search a car because he feels like it.

decklin

LOL

I guess you've never been to MA, NY or NJ. It happens all the time.

LOL

I grew up in MA. I moved to WA from NH. I get what you are saying but what I'm saying is people are making a much bigger deal out of this than it really is.

doobie

I think you are all missing the reason he needs(ed) an FFL. He stated when he moved to CT he transferred his firearms to a friend. If his friends are the owners of the firearms, he needs(ed) an FFL to move to NH with them. Sure, he could(have) just take them in possible violation of CT law then move to NH with them.