• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My open carry experiences in NW Indiana

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

I am a new gun owner and am 21 year of age. I applied for my Indiana permit in January of 2007 and was granted in early April of 2007.

This permit is "Permit to Carry Hangun"Indiana is generally a concealed carry state, probably due to many people thinking it is just downright illegal to carry open.

I also work for a local bank in NW Indiana and I float to a number of different branches in high crime areas such as Gary, Miller, Hammond, East Chicago, Lake Station and so the list goes on.

As of this morning I received an email from the FBI and the Indiana state police that there was a man planning a robbery of a bank in NWI and was armed with an AK-47, and was planning to flee to mexico tomorrow, to make a long story short this man since the email i received this morning at 10am, has hijacked a car, dumped a van, and now has a female, and continues to elude police and is in the NWI still at this time.

I realize there are many viewpoints, not to say one is right or wrong, but I prefer to open carry, I find my firearm much more accessible in this manner.

And just this morning at a white hen in hammond I walked right in with my firearm loaded and on my thigh/hip holstered, and the police officer noticed but did not give it a second look at all.

But I assume most of this can be attributed to the way a person dresses also, I wouldnt go out in a flannel tank top and cut off jeans with a gun on my hip, that would probably raise some eyebrows up here.

I do not normally see many people open carry, in fact the only people i have seen open carry are either correction officers off duty or officers of the court.

But just thought I would let others from my area know that I have not experienced any problems as of yet, and am glad that it is legal here in Indiana.

Sturmgewehre

imported post

I live in Valparaiso and I've been open carrying since I moved here in 2000. I've only been stopped once by a State Trooper in a White Castle. He asked if I had a permit and I said "yes". He didn't even ask to see it. He then said "why don't you cover that thing up, you're going to scare some old lady". I smiled and said "why don't you cover yours up?" He smiled back and said "it's a little different." I said "I don't see the difference, but I don't have anything to cover it up with nor do I feel inclined to do so unless you're giving me an order." He said he wasn't ordering me and walked off.

I told story to a local Sheriff I know who works at a local gun shop (Blythese Sports) this story and he said Indiana wasn't an open carry state. I argued with him and asked where he got this idea. He said our permits specified "concealed carry". I told him he was mistaken and showed him my permit which says clearly I have a right to carry a handgun and it doesn't specify how.

I spoke with the local Police Chief and he said "I don't care how you carry it, strap it to your forehead for all I care - just have a permit for it".