• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My Open Carry Vacation

Custodian

imported post

From Thursday to Sunday I went on vacation for the first time in years. (Not one of those lame "staycations" I seem to take ever so often)

My journey took me from Durham, North Carolina to Richmond, Williamsburg, Jamestown, Yorktown, and Newport News, Virginia.

I open carried a recently purchased, well-loved Browning BDA 380/HP-DA in a soft nylon hip holster.

Glad to say I had little LEO interaction from the Virginia State Police, Richmond Police, the James City County Police, Williamsburg Police, or the Newport News Police -- in fact there was only two places I went that barred me from carrying: King's Dominion and Busch Gardens. (I didn't know King's Dominion actually had their own Police Department until now unlike Busch Gardens which just seems to use the James City County Police)

I stayed at the King's Creek Plantation (where they tried to sell me a timeshare that I declined) and OC'ed every day there.

Several restaurants in these areas did not scoff at me open carrying in their establishments.

JD's Chicken & Waffles in Richmond (honey chicken wings and buttery waffles? Oh yeah)

Bourbon Street Steak & Grill (felt good to open carry, heck... CARRY! in an establishment that served alcohol instead of my locking regiment that I engage in while in North Carolina) [the steak here was super lackluster though...]

Kroger

Astronomical Pancake & Waffle House (which they do live up to their name by the way!) [if you haven't been here when in Williamsburg, turn around and go back!]

Prime Outlet Stores of Williamsburg (Fossil, Converse, Nike, Perfumania, Bare Escentuals, Oakley)

Downtown Williamsburg

Angelo's Steak & Pancakes; Mystic Jamaica in Newport News

Nothing else to report except that Virginia was friendly. My wife wants to move to that area and so do I.

I wish I still had the pictures but I ruined the camera by deciding to ride all three water rides at Busch Gardens -- Log Flume, Pompeii, and Roman Rapids [where the damage was done!]

t33j

imported post

Custodian wrote:
I wish I still had the pictures but I ruined the camera by deciding to ride all three water rides at Busch Gardens -- Log Flume, Pompeii, and Roman Rapids [where the damage was done!]
There's no way to get off that ride dry. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. Exactly what part of Virginia were you considering moving to?

VAman49

imported post

As an expatriated North Carolinian, I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your stay here in Virginia. I've been here for 11 years now and can't see myself going back. I enjoy the right to keep and bear arms too much to leave now.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
imported post

It's great that you had such a good experience in Virginia. I will be headed the opposite way to North Carolina (Outer Banks) in August. I hope I also have no issues.

t33j

imported post

thebigsd wrote:
It's great that you had such a good experience in Virginia. I will be headed the opposite way to North Carolina (Outer Banks) in August. I hope I also have no issues.
How do you carry on the beach?

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
imported post

DrMark wrote:
t33j wrote:
thebigsd wrote:
How do you carry on the beach?
...and please, no pictures!

A picture of me at the beach would require sunglasses to view. On another note, maybe my blinding white skin would keep people from seeing my gun.