• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

N.I.P.S.C.O.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

So I went to NIPSCO Today to pay my utility bill (Northwest Indiana Public Service Co.)

It is in Gary, IN -- one of the past murder capitals...FUN!

I parked across the street, walk up the building OC'ing, closely scrutinizing the entrance for ANY signage the would even hint at no weapons allowed -- NOTHING!

I walk in, and to my suprise I find a police officer inside at the front desk.

I ask him for directions of where I needed to go, I passed, and he immediately stopped me.

'NO WEAPONS' -- I then asked, what? He says "NO WEAPONS".

I then told him that it needed to be posted, and he said its on the door and points to the door.

So I walked back to the door, searched all four doors, and found nothing -- I went as far as to read the signs to him as I read them myself -- his response?

"Um oh um oh uh, someone must have just taken it down!"

Yeah, I am sure it was JUST taken down 5 minutes before I walked in so they could repair it - ha!

I then asked him what he would do if I walked by him anyway -- he didn't even warrant me with a response, so I walked out, and he says under his breath "stick it in your damn car".

I turned around and asked him to repeat what he had said to me, he wouldn't -- I then told him that if he thought Gary was safe enough to leave a firearm in your car, then why in the heck does a Utility Company need security -- they don't do any cash handling there and that he should stick his weapon in his car, I then left.

He gave me way too much attitude, and instigated me to dig my heels in, I filed a complaint with the County Police about his demeanor and level of unprofessionalism.

This guy was a total stroke.

I'm venting.

Unoid

imported post

Stick up for our rights, I'm proud of you.

For some reason people have a complex in their minds about guns that he liberals have hammered into our heads. Guns = Bad.

Hell people to use always open carry and there was prolly less crime and more respect.

I'm sure if he thought it out he'd like an OC'ing customer to be there, more deterrant to criminals.
I've been OCing more but I still wear shirts that I can cover my belts with when I enter restaurants... Even if theres no signs I don't want to have to remove the gun to my car.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

spacer.gif
Counties, municipalities and townships are defined as local government “units” by Indiana law. Ind. Code Ann. § 36-1-2-23. Under section 36-1-3-2, “[t]he policy of the state is to grant units all the powers that they need for the effective operation of government as to local affairs.”

Indiana has adopted a firearms preemption statute, which states that “[a] unit may not regulate in any manner the ownership, possession, sale, transfer, or transportation of firearms…or ammunition.” Section 35-47-11-2.

This statute has exceptions, however. With respect to all local government units except townships, the statute does not affect the validity of ordinances adopted before and in effect on January 1, 1994. Section 35-47-11-1(c). With respect to all local government units including townships, the prohibition does not apply to "land, buildings, or other real property owned or administered by a unit, except highways (as defined in I[nd.]C[ode] 8-23-1-23) and public highways (as defined in I[nd.]C[ode] 8-2.1-17-14)." Section 35-47-11-2(1). Thus, local governments may regulate the possession, sale and transfer of firearms on publicly-owned property such as county fairgrounds, courthouses, and administration buildings.

In addition, units may use their zoning authority to prohibit the sale of firearms within 200 feet of a school by any person having a business that did not sell firearms within 200 feet of a school prior to enactment of the preemption statute on April 1, 1994. Section 35-47-11-2(2).

Finally, units other than townships may enact emergency ordinances for a period of not more than 72 hours to regulate the sale of firearms if a disaster has occurred or is likely to occur in the unit and a local disaster emergency has been declared. Sections 35-47-11-2(3) and 35-47-11-3. The conditions under which such an emergency may be declared and the procedures that must be followed are set forth in sections 35-47-11-3 through 35-47-11-6.

There are no relevant cases interpreting sections 35-47-11-1 through 35-47-11-6.

tattedupboy

imported post

Unoid wrote:
Stick up for our rights, I'm proud of you.

For some reason people have a complex in their minds about guns that he liberals have hammered into our heads. Guns = Bad.

Hell people to use always open carry and there was prolly less crime and more respect.

I'm sure if he thought it out he'd like an OC'ing customer to be there, more deterrant to criminals.
I've been OCing more but I still wear shirts that I can cover my belts with when I enter restaurants... Even if theres no signs I don't want to have to remove the gun to my car.
Your point about liberals equating guns with evil is actually quite well taken, mostly shaped by Hollywood. Here in Gary where I live, it is made doubly bad by the fact that the crime rate here is extremely high, and many of those crimes are committed by gun toting thugs and gangbangers. Unfortunately, criminals have made cities such as Gary, Hammond, and East Chicago OC-unfriendly places.

And P.S. That was mighty bold of openryan to OC in Gary to NIPSCO. I have lived in Gary for over 20 years and have never seen anyone other than LEOs and security personnel OCing. My guess is that I probably never will either.

rlh2005

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Mike wrote:
OK - so, what is the status of preemption in Indiana - can a municipal utility co. ban guns?
NIPSCO is not a municipal utility company. They are a subsidiary of NiSource -- a Fortune 500 company engaged in natural gas transmission, storage and distribution, as well as electric generation, transmission and distribution.

tattedupboy

imported post

rlh2005 wrote:
Mike wrote:
OK - so, what is the status of preemption in Indiana - can a municipal utility co. ban guns?
NIPSCO is not a municipal utility company. They are a subsidiary of NiSource -- a Fortune 500 company engaged in natural gas transmission, storage and distribution, as well as electric generation, transmission and distribution.
That is exactly why I don't OC outside of work. Rather than inflaming anti gun zealots who are frightened by the sight of a gun, regardless of what the law is and regardless of what company policy is (or is not), I just carry concealed. That, and CC is simply my preference. However, if all of us can find a time to get together, either at a range or a good restaurant, I wouldn't mind doing an OC outing.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

tattedupboy wrote:
rlh2005 wrote:
Mike wrote:
That is exactly why I don't OC outside of work. Rather than inflaming anti gun zealots who are frightened by the sight of a gun, regardless of what the law is and regardless of what company policy is (or is not), I just carry concealed. That, and CC is simply my preference. However, if all of us can find a time to get together, either at a range or a good restaurant, I wouldn't mind doing an OC outing.
I was aware they were a subisdary even before I went there, I tried to apply months ago, but not anymore!

Anyway, It was not NIPSCO who even banned me, if you read the OP closer you will see it was the County Police who banned me, they don't even work for NISPCO, bastards.