• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Bill Introduced In U.S. House

Jay

Last week, H.R. 822, was introduced in the U.S. House by Representatives Cliff Stearns (R-Fla.) and Heath Schuler (D-N.C.). The measure would allow any person with a valid state-issued concealed carry permit to carry a concealed firearm in any state that issues concealed firearm permits, or that does not prohibit the carrying of concealed firearms. A state's laws governing where concealed firearms may be carried would apply within its borders. The bill also applies to Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico and U.S. territories.

H.R. 822 would not create a federal licensing system. Rather, it would require the states to recognize each others' carry permits, just as they recognize drivers' licenses and carry permits held by armored car guards. Rep. Stearns has introduced such legislation since 1995.

Please be sure to contact your U.S. Representative at (202) 225-3121 and urge him or her to cosponsor and support H.R. 822.

For the full txt of the bill go here http://onlygunsandmoney.blogspot.com/2011/02/hr-822-concealed-carry-reciprocity-bill.html

Last edited:

KBCraig

No, it's a terrible idea to let the feds get involved.

There is no federal law mandating that states recognize all drivers' licenses. They do so by mutual agreement, exactly like they do with carry licenses.

Jay

There is no federal law mandating that states recognize all drivers' licenses. They do so by mutual agreement, exactly like they do with carry licenses.

However they all do not all recognize pistol permits like a driver license only some states do. So why not let the govt step in they are not requiring gun registration, that are not creating more gun control, they are just stating if a state issues a carry permit they have to honor other states carry permits.

Gunslinger

Privilege and Immunities clause of the Constitution is what mandates it. Same with pilot's licenses. Full Faith and Credit clause also comes into play on court decisions thereto. Last year 58 Senators voted for it. Scott Brown made 59 who would. With the Senate rated 59 A by the NRA, and the House more so, plus fence sitting democraps afraid of what will happen in '12, it could pass this year. It needs to pass by veto proof majorities or the boob in the whitehouse will kill it.

KBCraig

Full Faith & Credit does not apply here any more than it applies to professional licenses. A license is not an official "Act, record, or judicial proceeding".

States don't issue pilot licenses: the FAA does.

Gunslinger

Full Faith & Credit does not apply here any more than it applies to professional licenses. A license is not an official "Act, record, or judicial proceeding".

States don't issue pilot licenses: the FAA does.

Pilots' licenses tie in with state DMVs with respect to reporting a violation such as DWI which could be grounds for supension of the PL. There are agreements among the states in reporting. You are correct it is issued by the FAA, but state involvement and reporting procedures are still applicable and agreed to under P&I and FFC. It is a bit of a stretch, but fits under the broad application of the clauses.

You are incorrect on FFC applying, as it certainly does. Any state judicial decision affecting an individual and any listing of that individual as 'unfit' for any license is respected in any other state. Don't pay a ticket in TX with a LA license and see what happens. You violated no LA law or reg, but a TX court's decision is given full faith in subsequent actions without the need to extradite. TX enforces LA traffic laws via court decisions fully.

KBCraig

You are incorrect on FFC applying, as it certainly does. Any state judicial decision affecting an individual and any listing of that individual as 'unfit' for any license is respected in any other state. Don't pay a ticket in TX with a LA license and see what happens. You violated no LA law or reg, but a TX court's decision is given full faith in subsequent actions without the need to extradite. TX enforces LA traffic laws via court decisions fully.
Yes, FFC applies to all court decisions. I never said otherwise.

What I said, was, a license is not a court decision (nor an Act).

Gunslinger

Yes, FFC applies to all court decisions. I never said otherwise.

What I said, was, a license is not a court decision (nor an Act).

I think we are missing each other's point. FFC applies in the licensing process, viz., points/revocation/etc. I never said it was a "court decision," just that the FCC applies. Your quote "Full Faith & Credit does not apply here..." misled me.