• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Navy Command master chief canned for politics or ... ?

HP995

Stated (fake) reason: told sailors to “clap like we’re at a strip club” - supposedly considered "inappropriate"

I'm not buying that for a moment. Not something I would say myself, but harmless in context and tamer than any PG TV show dialog produced for several decades. Spoken to sailors, not clergy. This will conveniently invite endless discussion of "did nothing wrong, Navy's turning sissy" versus "professional conduct, mixed company" to distract from whatever is the real reason he was targeted. Right now it's extremely popular to lie and do something for one reason while excusing it with another reason.

Which is ... ?

Background: There was a budget plan to avoid refueling the USS Harry S. Truman aircraft carrier in order to put the funds into other projects including newer carriers and Navy tech. That was controversial for many reasons - a law requiring 12 carriers, a big current strategy battle between "carriers are strong" and "carriers are easy targets" schools of thoughts, and the savings of retiring a carrier early versus the waste of an available platform. At the last minute Trump (in typical fashion) tweeted that it wouldn't be retired after all, also implying that the newer planned carriers wouldn't be affected either. Of course, Carter and his sailors were the ones on the carrier and naturally glad of the decision.

So what do you think is most likely, was Jonas Carter targeted by never-Trumpers, or because of disappointment over the budget plan, or another reason? :unsure:

solus

Stated (fake) reason: told sailors to “clap like we’re at a strip club” - supposedly considered "inappropriate"

I'm not buying that for a moment. Not something I would say myself, but harmless in context and tamer than any PG TV show dialog produced for several decades. Spoken to sailors, not clergy. This will conveniently invite endless discussion of "did nothing wrong, Navy's turning sissy" versus "professional conduct, mixed company" to distract from whatever is the real reason he was targeted. Right now it's extremely popular to lie and do something for one reason while excusing it with another reason.

Which is ... ?

Background: There was a budget plan to avoid refueling the USS Harry S. Truman aircraft carrier in order to put the funds into other projects including newer carriers and Navy tech. That was controversial for many reasons - a law requiring 12 carriers, a big current strategy battle between "carriers are strong" and "carriers are easy targets" schools of thoughts, and the savings of retiring a carrier early versus the waste of an available platform. At the last minute Trump (in typical fashion) tweeted that it wouldn't be retired after all, also implying that the newer planned carriers wouldn't be affected either. Of course, Carter and his sailors were the ones on the carrier and naturally glad of the decision.

So what do you think is most likely, was Jonas Carter targeted by never-Trumpers, or because of disappointment over the budget plan, or another reason? :unsure:

Sorry HP995, the Ship's COMMAND Senior Chief, who is actually more powerful than craft's Exec and sometimes even the Capt, knew he possibly made a politically incorrect comment especially since it was reported by CNN. https://edition.cnn.com/2019/04/30/politics/us-navy-strip-club-mike-pence/index.html

Actually, if the Navy brass were really upset the E-9 would have been given UCMJ administrative discipline at a minimum and possibly booted out w/o pension. I am sure the Command Sr. Chief will live quite well on his approximately $65K + [disability] plus full medical for life.

You will see the retired Sr Chief being regaled and called upon to serve shortly in someone's national campaign!

PS: the administration got the attention they wanted on the subject!

HP995

Thanks for that perspective Solus. Still makes no sense to me - I think someone pretended to be offended, so the real reason is what puzzles me. CNN's Corp runs HBO and WB? They have no real morals, TV shows and movies have offended me many times. In context this was just a humorous remark, similar to remarks every 10 minutes on PG TV shows years ago. They better not play any TV in the Navy! Heck, even shows for kids might go further. It's a double standard so that's why I think there's another reason. Of course there's always competition and petty revenge too, besides politics and budget.

Some backlash now to the backlash - he might be regaled just as you said. Also some hypothetical mention of discouraging politics in Navy, although again when people say non-partisan and pretend to get offended, what many of them actually mean is never-Trump. I've seen some liberal local guv departments go so far as to not celebrate President's day now, when they were all over that holiday under Obama! When you see the double standard, you know people are lying. In context this was about applauding the budgetary rescue of their very own carrier where they serve, not applauding Pence as a politician. I just hate to see experienced and effective men retire early when we're in a military buildup effort and need their expertise.

solus

HP995, please re-read my next to last sentence of my post...

Per your cite, quote

...is getting support from national political and media figures.

Unquote.

Let’s clarify something up front HP995, et al., the military CAN NOT force an enlisted service member to retire in the middle of their enlistment [officers yes, they are appointed as an officer by congress]. Processed out by UCMJ action(s) absolutely!

in fact this Master Chief CAN NOT resign on the spur of the moment in the middle of his enlistment ~ unless he is already retirement ELIGIBLE & past the service’s enlistment high year tenure policy.

Quit feeling sorry for the bloke getting his 15 minutes of attention as this senior enlisted member is milking/jockeying for his future job $$$$ under the ‘oh its a shame you were mistreated senior chief, sniff, but here is a prestigious position to make up for it”.

This service member will ride this bs attention to his grave as the individual who ‘resigned’...

What a bloody publicity hook he got!

Last edited:

HP995

Thanks for that perspective Solus.
When you see the double standard, you know people are lying.
I just hate to see experienced and effective men retire early when we're in a military buildup effort and need their expertise.

solus

Sorry you missed the point HP995...no enlisted service member can be forced out to “retire early” from his enlistment w/o UCMJ involvement, since no UCMJ was involved it was voluntarily done. With the time in service, rank, and position this individual was at and held, he also could not have been coerced to put in his papers either!

Ever wonder why the military does not leave experienced and effective personal in their positions for over 4 years...cuz they become complacent with the mentality “we’ve always done it this way” and it allows fresh ideas and blood to progressively change things, normally for the better.

Again, what a hook this individual found for his retirement future!

OC for ME

CMC (Command Master Chief), a worthless position, primarily responsible for ensuring there is enough s##t paper in the heads for the duration of the deployment. 20 years in the navy I was, 3/4 of that time riding fast boats, every CMC/COB (Chief of the Boat) assigned to my boats were a waste of very useful oxygen, ate more food than they deserved and generally impeded the efficient operation of the ship.

The dude achieved E-9 status and could have requested that he be assigned to a division as the LCPO (Leading Chief Petty Officer) and contribute to the ship's mission in a meaningful way. CMC/COB is a position that gets a wee bit more pay every month..."Senior Enlisted Advisor" is his official duties description.

solus

CMC (Command Master Chief), a worthless position, primarily responsible for ensuring there is enough s##t paper in the heads for the duration of the deployment. 20 years in the navy I was, 3/4 of that time riding fast boats, every CMC/COB (Chief of the Boat) assigned to my boats were a waste of very useful oxygen, ate more food than they deserved and generally impeded the efficient operation of the ship.

The dude achieved E-9 status and could have requested that he be assigned to a division as the LCPO (Leading Chief Petty Officer) and contribute to the ship's mission in a meaningful way. CMC/COB is a position that gets a wee bit more pay every month..."Senior Enlisted Advisor" is his official duties description.

OC for ME don’t hold back tell us how you really feel...:rolleyes:

Oh tip of the hat to ya & thanks for your service [i shan't engage in degrading rivalry jabs either :censored:]

Doug_Nightmare

Washington Island, WISCONSIN. Out in Lake Michigan
Hmmm, COB or cob?

In the days of olde, before s##t paper was invented, they used a cob ... and walked away contented.

In the days of olde Rickover had to get involved and convince COB (I can almost remember his name, Skip ... something) that nukes and their study time were not to be abused. COB up our ... thought that nukes were half the ship so should scrub half the decks forward as well as all of the decks aft and the nuke lab.

We made sure that saturated activated charcoal was kept in the Goat Locker’s fart-gobblers. Lots of BonAmi was used to scrub the Goat Locker’s s##tter ball valve for a continuous vent path while the tank was being blown.

All that said, some chiefs have been good men and neighbors, MCPOCG5 Al Thiele and some MOMAG Chiefs.

In way of apology for slamming senior enlisted I’ll re-tell Al Thiele’s story of Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock’s last Parade. Al was seated at Gunnery Sergeant Hathcock’s side and offered to assist him to his feet but was refused (Hathcock was crippled by MS and died of it). GySgt Hathcock was in forearm crutches but set them aside and stood unassisted and saluted the passing Colors. Al would tear up telling the story.

Oh yeah, I remembered his name, and that he was an A-Gang MMC that got s##tcanned from NNPP and that’s why he hated nukes.

Last edited:

OC for ME

I knew way to many chiefs...too.

Anyway, my comment was specific to a single billet on the ship. Injecting a non sequitur is certainly your prerogative.

HP995

Really liked those personal experiences! ⚓

However, whether people love CMCs as passionately as OC does or hate them, or whether this dude should be pitied or praised is a different matter than what caused the ruckus in the first place. That he was already eligible to retire and chose to retire after the incident is also an excellent point but a different matter. My question is still: what's the real reason for the controversy in the first place?

Stated reason: inappropriate.
Problem: no one credibly offended.

The statement was first mentioned on Twitter by a local news reporter who didn't make a big deal of it himself but it started a conversation. CNN picked it up but didn't rail against it much either, just stated that it happened and passed on the "inappropriate" comment from Navy spokesperson.

This is the only early story I see railing about it at length:

Notice she is admittedly not actually offended herself as a liberal; she even starts off with an f-word joke. Her pretended outrage is only because it's supposed to be hypocritical for Sunday-School Pence. (Even though the remark was made before Pence came.)

"Another day, another photo op for the Trump administration. What’s next, Pence doing a lap dance while the troops stuff dollars in his g-string and roar? And where is Mother in all this? The hypocrisy here is staggering. Pence will not attend an outing where alcohol is being served without Mother at his side"

Pretended outrage, pretended offense. I could understand if real Christian church families were offended, but this is incredibly tame stuff for the liberals and TV networks who reported it.

So having a convenient bit of tarnish for anything Trump/Pence related, and just getting a few more eyeballs and ad clicks looks like the original news motive. However the Navy people involved certainly wimped out to say it was inappropriate on day one. (n)

I also saw a theory that the Navy never really intended to shorten the life of the Truman and just put it on the chopping block to ensure a better reaction and more funding. Tangled webs, maybe. Anyway.... 🥴

OC for ME

... ... Tangled webs, maybe. Anyway.... 🥴
A wee bit of background on the above linked organization...from their About page...first sentence...

PolitiZoom is an independent news magazine dedicated to exposing the lies and corruption in Washington by DJ Trump. We cover our fast-moving political environment with a progressive, liberal approach. ... per Nancy Pelosi's "request."

I would like to see more folks shun liberals and their haunts in the future. Providing a platform, even a link to their platform, for their nonsensical "opinions" is counter productive in our efforts to restore individual liberty.