• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC OC experience reports

Scrub

imported post

I have been carrying regularly and have only two "incidents" lately, if you can even call them that.

First was at Harris Teeter on 14th in Greenville this past Sunday morning. I stopped by for some snacks, and some flowers for my daughter to honor her performance in the Nutcracker at Wright Auditorium. I did my shopping and I was proceeding to the checkout when I "sensed" someone following me. I peeked over my shoulder as I was headed to the self checkout, and it turns out there was an ECU campus cop shadowing me. He never confronted me or even spoke, but it was obvious he was concerned, but I guess he knew he was out of his jurisdiction. In one way it bothered me, but in another not so much after I thought about the fact that I was dressed in black from head to toe since I was on stage crew, and I was in an unfamiliar store so I was walking around trying to find what I needed, maybe he thought I was casing the place. The fact that he did not interfere with me going about my business made it an overall a non-issue, but it was kind of strange.
{FYI: I did secure my weapon off campus before I went in to work the show.} :cuss:

Last night in Food Lion in Wilson there were two little boys that noticed my revolver and started yelling to the their Mom "Look Mom, he's got a real pistol ...... COOOL!!". She told them to be quiet, I just smiled and said not to worry, lot's of little boys notice it and say something like that sometimes. She did not seem bothered by the gun, just a little frustrated that her boys were being so loud.

So far no major issues ................ hope it stays that way.

Dreamer

imported post

REX681959 wrote:
Oced in Sears& Kirklandsat Friendly Shopping Center. Went to Walmart on Battleground. Nothing, nothing & more nothing.
I'm surprised Sears didn't say something. I worked for Sears a few years ago in Fayetteville, and they had "circle-slash" signs on ALL their doors. But then again, they were an "anchor store" in the Cross Creek Mall, and less than 500 yards from TWO different Waffle House restaurants (which are know as "Gangsta Shooting Galleries" in Cumberland County). The Skibo Road area of Fayetteville is pretty dodgy all around, and is one of the MANY places in Fayetteville that I would never want to go after dark, unarmed. Hence, I stay away from Cross Creek Mall when I'm down there these days, if I can avoid it.

I was under the assumption that it was Sears' corporate policy to ban carry in their stores. Considering that their CEO is a member of the Yale Skull and Bones Society, it would not surprise me if they had a carry ban.

I DO know that they ban carry for employees--you can't even have a firearm locked in your car in the Mall parking lot if you're "on the clock" according to their company policy. But then again, from my experiences with the General Manager at the Fayetteville/Cross Creek Mall Sears, I can understand why he might feel uncomfortable with the idea that any of his employees might be armed. Let's just say that besides his horrific people skills, his felonious sales policies (I actually witnessed him instructing a sales person to commit Warranty Fraud on a large 4-digit corporate sale) and is utter disregard for NC Labor Laws, he's an OK guy... :banghead:

The Sears in Greenville is a "stand-alone" store--not part of a Mall or complex. I'll have to check it out soon, and see how they feel about OC...

Good on ya, though! And thanks for the report.

chiefjason

imported post

Went in to a local hunting store today. No issue, and no good buckshot. My new to me 870 needs to be fed.

Stopped by Walmart in Granite Falls. There was a Salvation Army ringer at the door. I got the typical greeting, then as I get in the door he says, "Is that a .40?" Stepped back out and talked Glock 9mm's a bit. Tried to explain the difference in the 19 I have and the 17 and 26. Got an odd look from one of the guys at the ammo counter, the other could have cared less. Some buckshot, but still not what I wanted.

In Dick's Sporting goods Tue night. It was a mad house. I fully expected at least some type of comment. Nothing.

REX681959

imported post

OCed at The Conference Store on Bridford Parkway. Guy behind the counter asked what I was carrying. Told him 44 mag & he said SWEET.

OCed at Harbor Freight on High point rd stayed a good hour got a few looks of curiosity but that's all.

REX681959

imported post

Had a great experience at the McDonald's on Pisgah Church. Everyone was nice only had one UGLY look. One guy went out of his way to speak to me about my OC. Talked to him for a minute ,gave him a card & invited him to look over this site. Now the ugly look I got (& we have all seen them that just screams how dare you carry a gun around me) was from a woman. When I stepped away from the table & was gone for a few minutes she got up to leave. My Wife ( god bless her ) steps in front of her & says I just love your sweater where did you get it? She said the woman stuttered & stammered for 10 seconds before she could answer. LMAO I would have given good money to see the face that my wife said she made. Totally disarmed her without firing a shot. Not a bad day at all.

glockaholic

imported post

REX681959 wrote:
My Wife ( god bless her ) steps in front of her & says I just love your sweater where did you get it? She said the woman stuttered & stammered for 10 seconds before she could answer. LMAO I would have given good money to see the face that my wife said she made. Totally disarmed her without firing a shot. Not a bad day at all.

That is just awesome. :D

ocgso

imported post

OC'ed today at a chinese restaurant and at Target. No problems whatsoever.

A couple of places that I go ALL the time that I have NEVER had an issue:

Harris Teeter on Pisgah Ch Rd.

GameStop - off of New Garden Rd, in Friendly Center, and off of Battleground Ave.

Kyoto - Japanes express (this is where we had our second OC meet) off of Battleground Ave.

Taco Bell ( I have been to 6 taco bells in 3 counties and have never had an issue).

I agree that I am a little disappointed when I get no questions, oh well.

protias

imported post

cltmedicman wrote:
I'm usually disappointed when I don't get asked questions either. OC'd to Great Clips today and I don't think anyone even noticed.

Question: If they put the cape on you to cut your hair, is it now a concealed weapon? :?
Yes. :quirky

protias

imported post

Lawmaker wrote:
That's funny but yes it would be concealed then. I guess you could put it on the barber's counter.
I would not want to have it unsecured in a public place.

protias

imported post

WI has no CCW permit. If you are found with a conceal firearm, it is a class A misdemeanor.

941.23 Carrying concealed weapon. Any person except
a peace officer who goes armed with a concealed and dangerous
weapon is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor. Notwithstanding s.
939.22 (22), for purposes of this section, peace officer does not
include a commission warden who is not a state−certified commission
warden.
History: 1977 c. 173; 1979 c. 115, 221; 2007 a. 27.
The burden is on the defendant to prove that he or she is a peace officer and within
the exception. State v. Williamson, 58 Wis. 2d 514, 206 N.W.2d 613 (1973).
A defendant was properly convicted under this section for driving a vehicle with
a gun locked in a glove compartment. State v. Fry, 131 Wis. 2d 153, 388 N.W.2d 565
(1986).
To “go armed” does not require going anywhere. The elements for a violation of
s. 941.23 are: 1) a dangerous weapon is on the defendant’s person or within reach;
2) the defendant is aware of the weapon’s presence; and 3) the weapon is hidden.
State v. Keith, 175 Wis. 2d 75, 498 N.W.2d 865 (Ct. App. 1993).
A handgun on the seat of a car that was indiscernible from ordinary observation
by a person outside, and within the immediate vicinity, of the vehicle was hidden from
view for purposes of determining whether the gun was a concealed weapon under this
section. State v. Walls, 190 Wis. 2d 65, 526 N.W.2d 765 (Ct. App. 1994).
There is no statutory or common law privilege for the crime of carrying a concealed
weapon under s. 941.23. State Dundon, 226 Wis. 2d 654, 594 N.W.2d 780 (1999),
97−1423.
Under the facts of the case, the privilege of of self−defense was inapplicable to a
charge of carrying a concealed weapon. State v. Nollie, 2002 WI 4, 249 Wis. 2d 538,
638 N.W.2d 280, 00−0744.
The concealed weapons statute is a restriction on the manner in which firearms are
possessed and used. It is constitutional under Art. I, s. 25. Only if the public benefit
in the exercise of the police power is substantially outweighed by an individual’s need
to conceal a weapon in the exercise of the right to bear arms will an otherwise valid
restriction on that right be unconstitutional, as applied. The right to keep and bear
arms for security, as a general matter, must permit a person to possess, carry, and
sometimes conceal arms to maintain the security of a private residence or privately
operated business, and to safely move and store weapons within those premises. State
v. Hamdan, 2003 WI 113, 264 Wis. 2d 433, 665 N.W.2d 785, 01−0056. See also State v. Cole, 2003 WI 112, 264 Wis. 2d 520, 665 N.W.2d 328, 01−0350.
A challenge on constitutional grounds of a prosecution for carrying a concealed
weapon requires affirmative answers to the following before the defendant may raise
the constitutional defense: 1) under the circumstances, did the defendant’s interest in
concealing the weapon to facilitate exercise of his or her right to keep and bear arms
substantially outweigh the state’s interest in enforcing the concealed weapons statute?
and 2) did the defendant conceal his or her weapon because concealment was the
only reasonable means under the circumstances to exercise his or her right to bear
arms? State v. Hamdan, 2003 WI 113, 264 Wis. 2d 433, 665 N.W.2d 785, 01−0056.
This section is constitutional as applied in this case. The defendant’s interest in
exercising his right to keep and bear arms for purposes of security by carrying a concealed
weapon in his vehicle does not substantially outweigh the state’s interest in
prohibiting him from carrying a concealed weapon in his vehicle. State v. Fisher,
2006 WI 44, 290 Wis. 2d 121, 714 N.W.2d 495, 04−2989.
Judges are not peace officers authorized to carry concealed weapons. 69 Atty. Gen.

Wisconsin Statutes and Case Law Surrounding Firearms

ComradeV

Campaign Veteran
imported post

One time I was OCing in Best Buy(J-Ville) in a 2-piece suit with a gun belt and holster worn over said suit. A Best Buy lady came up to me and said that it was illegal to carry like that in private businesses. I was like, actually it isn't illegal.

She sorta looked at me funny and left me alone after that.

Lawmaker

imported post

ComradeV wrote:
One time I was OCing in Best Buy(J-Ville) in a 2-piece suit with a gun belt and holster worn over said suit. A Best Buy lady came up to me and said that it was illegal to carry like that in private businesses. I was like, actually it isn't illegal.

She sorta looked at me funny and left me alone after that.
LOL over you 2 piece suit. That would be funny to see.

Scrub

imported post

In Greenville last night I was in Target, TJ Maxx, Cato and Shoe Carnival with the wife, but had to disarm to eat supper at Outback. I have also carried in Food Lion, Harris Teeter, Kroger, all three Starbucks, Panera, Great Outdoor Provision, Arby's, Overton's, Barnes and Noble, Lowe's on 10th and multiple gas stations etc without any issues of any kind. I truly think most people don't notice. The wife tells me a few people do but I don't pick up on it.

In Wilson it has been much the same list of locations, and mostly the same non-response. I would love the chance to educate more people, but up to this point I have not had many opportunities.

ocgso

imported post

cltmedicman wrote:
I'm usually disappointed when I don't get asked questions either. OC'd to Great Clips today and I don't think anyone even noticed.

Question: If they put the cape on you to cut your hair, is it now a concealed weapon? :?
That and winter time are the reason I got my permit.:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

annie oakley

imported post

*Please, please* pardon my ignorance but...am I reading everything here right about open carry? My lower jaw's sitting on my chest right now, so pardon my expression...I didn't see a place on here, maybe I didn't look hard enough; Apologies if that's the case ), but don't see a 'terms' defintion list...like:

What's a CHP and how is it different than a CCP? or is there a difference?

You can LEGALLY carry a gun out in the open ( OC ? ) without any kind of liscence or permit??? Maybe I'm losing something in translation between reading and comprehension :uhoh:

If there's a place here that has a list of the various acronyms used, please let me know so I don't bug you guys with questions whose answers may seem more obvious to you than me :)

Scrub

imported post

annie oakley wrote:
*Please, please* pardon my ignorance but...am I reading everything here right about open carry? My lower jaw's sitting on my chest right now, so pardon my expression...I didn't see a place on here, maybe I didn't look hard enough; Apologies if that's the case ), but don't see a 'terms' defintion list...like:

What's a CHP and how is it different than a CCP? or is there a difference?

You can LEGALLY carry a gun out in the open ( OC ? ) without any kind of liscence or permit??? Maybe I'm losing something in translation between reading and comprehension :uhoh:

If there's a place here that has a list of the various acronyms used, please let me know so I don't bug you guys with questions whose answers may seem more obvious to you than me :)

CHP is Concealed Handgun Permit; CWP is Concealed Weapons Permit, and CCW is Concealed Carry of Weapons. They are all different variations of a very similar thing, but the exact name and the particulars of what they allow vary from state to state.

In many states it is completely legal to carry a gun in the open, there are no laws against it therefore it is legal; with my home state of NC and my native home of VA being two that are considered "Gold Star" States where it there are few restrictions. But as always you need to be sure you are fully aware of the laws of your state before you carry, there is some reference informations in map form on the OCDO home page that you can take a look at for starters.

Here in Eastern NC I have discovered that Open Carry has so far been mostly a non issue for me. Most people don't notice, and I have only been asked about it two times since I started carrying a couple months back.

Welcome to the forum by the way. If you let us know where you are from we can likely provide you with more/better information.