• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC OC experience reports

Back2TheBasicz

welcome to the forum B2B, be sure to join some of the meet and greets and you will see a lot more

Thanks for the warm welcome. I plan on doing that and hope to meet some of you guys at these meet and greets. I'll keep a close eye on the forum for meet and greets around my area. :cool:

Last edited:

Zannex

Jacksonville and area

I've been lurking on this site for quite a while now. I come and read almost every day. I have learned so much about my rights and responsibilities from all of you people, and just wanted to thank everyone. This site is the reason I stared OCing about a year ago. I OC every day now in the Jacksonville, Cape Carteret, and Morehead City area.

I have had nothing but positive encounters with everyone so far. From people approaching me to talk to me about the laws (in a positive way), to people telling me that they are happy I'm exercising my 2A rights. I've been to every Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, IHOP, Target, and hundreds of other places in the area without one single negative encounter. Even OC'd while on a fishing trip up to Durham this week.

I appreciate everyone here at the OCDO in promoting and encouraging people to exercise their 2A rights.

-Zannex

cmr287

I travel from Ft. Benning Ga to Ft. Brag alot. I OC in Ga with no issues ever, even in banks... When I drive through SC, I un holster and put my sidearm in the glovebox at the state line... Whe I get to the SC and NC line, I reholster and go about my business. I have Never had any issues in NC yet, knock on wood....

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Jrebb

First time OC'er

Hey all! proud to be a new member of the forum!

onto the topic. i have just now started to open carry a couple of days ago. Day one went to Wally World in Sanford with no issues. a couple of hard stares and people seemed to be a "bit more firendly". i dont knwo if it made them nervous, or just didnt want me to feel that they were starring in a negative manner.? anyways from Wal Mart stopped into Cracker Barrell ( in the same shopping center) to say hello to the wife. the only person that gave me ANY kind of reaction there was my wife. lol " babe! i told you the Galco holster looks better then that plain Blackhawk!" talked to her for a few minutes about how my first day of OC was going and procedded on. on the way home stopped at the Food Lion for some Milk. Again, no adverse looks or comments.

Day two (yesterday) took my daughter (3 yr old)with me. Went to Gander mountain (Fayetnam) just to browse and get some Bass lures as sharron harris resivior ate up two of my favorites two weeks ago. the girls at the door were very friendly and probably didnt even notice that i had a sidearm with me. there was a middle aged woman stocking shelves in the camping section, whom i later noticed was tailing me for some time. when i made eye contact with her, she asked if there was anything she could help me with, with a "damn he knows i was watching him" kind of smile. no big deal i get it. we looked through the lures together for a few minutes, i made my purchase, and that was that. again, all is going well. UNTIL.....

Making a right turn out of GM from the light at McDonalds, i see Police lights in the rearview!! okay , pull into the Rooms-TO-Go ( i think that was the furniture store there) parking lot, windows down, keys on the dash, Hands on the Wheel. FayetteNAM's finest approaches and immidiately i utter " Officer, i would like to let you know for your safety and mine, that i do have a loaded firearm in the vehicle, it is on my passenger seat." the officer leaned in a little closer and analyzed the pistol for a few seconds. Followed by, " well why dont you just keep your hands on the wheel for me then?" me- "yes sir" anyways, the officer tells me that i did not make a complete stop at the light when making my right turn. (light was red, turning into traffic) i told him that i did not notice as i drive a standard transmission, and will pay closer attention to that. he then asked for my license, watching me ever so closely to make sure i did not act towards the firearm. after verifying my age, he handed the license back and told me to be careful and have a good day.

i read alot of sories on forums about people having bad encounters with the police with OC. this was only my second day OCing and it was a painless incedent. dont get me wrong, i was a bit nervous, especially because i had my daughter with me. i do know my rights, but some officers apparantly like to infringe upon them.

after the encounter, i feel alot more comfortable OCing and less shaky about an officer trying to pull a fast one with a "GATTTOTP" charge that he probably knowslittle about. also the fact that the general public di not seem to be affected by my OC in most cases.

I would just like to say, that the messages on this board have really hit me. with the "a right unused is a right lost" feelings. and i want you all to know, i am with you. and am now ANOTHER display to the public that we have rights, and we need to use them,, that is what they were created for.

Lets make it happen!

rotorhead

Good deal, I'm glad it's working out for you.

The initial few days (or weeks in some cases) can be a bit nervy due to the newness of it. Sometimes it feels like the entire world is watching you. But the feeling wears off the more you do it. One day you look back and realize that many of your initial fears were based on unfounded feelings and misconceptions. You start to realize that the world is *not* watching your every move. Fayetteville has been exceptionally accommodating for OC, I've noticed. I've been in this town for close to 25 years and still have yet to have a negative encounter with either the public in general or any kind of LEO. Quite the opposite, in fact.

Ultimately, it's all about your protection and reaching a comfort level that doesn't interfere with it. Despite the perception of some out there, this is your right and your decision- not theirs. Stay safe out there.

Last edited:

Jrebb

rotorhead

The initial few days (or weeks in some cases) can be a bit nervy due to the newness of it. Sometimes it feels like the entire world is watching you. But the feeling wears off the more you do it. One day you look back and realize that many of your initial fears were based on unfounded feelings and misconceptions

Yes, day one and two were a bit akwark, but i am actually glad the LEO stopped me and the time spent with him had no negative effect. i actually think it was a positive incedent. instead of going on for weeks thinking, "what is gonna happen when and if i am stopped, how am i going to act, how is the LEO going to interact with me?" ect ect. instead of that on my shoulders, i had the experience quite quickly and got it out of the way, in a peaceful pleasant manner. this really settled my nerves and really let me know LEO's are not out to get you, they are there for the public's well being. that is not to say there are not any uneducated LEO's out there, or that there arent any that think their badge gives them a higher power to infringe upon our rights.

that being said, i am much more comfortable now and definately happy i took the plunge, and excited to continue holding up 2A

***ROTORHEAD**** are there any OC meetups in the fayetteville/spring lake/sanford/lillington areas that you are aware of? i have been running through threads but find most are geared towards raliegh and greensboro.... thanks in advance!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Hey all! proud to be a new member of the forum!

--snipped--

stopped into Cracker Barrell ( in the same shopping center) to say hello to the wife. the only person that gave me ANY kind of reaction there was my wife. lol " babe! i told you the Galco holster looks better then that plain Blackhawk!" talked to her for a few minutes about how my first day of OC was going and procedded on. on the way home stopped at the Food Lion for some Milk. Again, no adverse looks or comments.

Welcome to OCDO!

A word to the wise - Cracker Barrel is by corporate policy anti OC.

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with all of us here at Cracker Barrel Old Country Store. We're always pleased to hear from our guests.

Open Carry Policy
As we work to achieve our mission of Pleasing People, one of our top priorities is the safety and comfort of our guests, both external and internal. Because of this, and because it is our intent to provide our guests and employees with a relaxed, comfortable, family-oriented environment, we feel its important to review our open carry policy.

Simply stated, our policy is that we will not seat or serve patrons who are openly carrying or wearing firearms unless the patrons are law enforcement officers, security guards, or uniformed military personnel.

We look forward to seeing you in one of our locations again soon.

Sincerely,

Sandra Vance
Guest Relations Representative
Cracker Barrel Old Country Store, Inc

There are several other links internal in this thread.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...Bans-Gun-Owners&highlight=cracker+barrel+guns

Jrebb

Welcome to OCDO!

A word to the wise - Cracker Barrel is by corporate policy anti OC.

There are several other links internal in this thread.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...Bans-Gun-Owners&highlight=cracker+barrel+guns

Wow. Thank you for the info. I did not see a no OC sign, my wife knew notyhing about it and no other employee said anything. I had my wife ask her supervisor about it and she cnfirmed there is a no OC policy.

I guess just because there is no sign DOES NOT neccesarily mean it is accepted

rotorhead

rotorhead

The initial few days (or weeks in some cases) can be a bit nervy due to the newness of it. Sometimes it feels like the entire world is watching you. But the feeling wears off the more you do it. One day you look back and realize that many of your initial fears were based on unfounded feelings and misconceptions

Yes, day one and two were a bit akwark, but i am actually glad the LEO stopped me and the time spent with him had no negative effect. i actually think it was a positive incedent. instead of going on for weeks thinking, "what is gonna happen when and if i am stopped, how am i going to act, how is the LEO going to interact with me?" ect ect. instead of that on my shoulders, i had the experience quite quickly and got it out of the way, in a peaceful pleasant manner. this really settled my nerves and really let me know LEO's are not out to get you, they are there for the public's well being. that is not to say there are not any uneducated LEO's out there, or that there arent any that think their badge gives them a higher power to infringe upon our rights.

that being said, i am much more comfortable now and definately happy i took the plunge, and excited to continue holding up 2A

***ROTORHEAD**** are there any OC meetups in the fayetteville/spring lake/sanford/lillington areas that you are aware of? i have been running through threads but find most are geared towards raliegh and greensboro.... thanks in advance!

Dang, I wasn't aware of the Cracker Barrel thing, either. I OC in the CB out by I-95 every once in a while when I go there and have not had an issue yet. That's not to say there won't be in future, just hasn't happened to me yet. Oh well, they don't need any more of my cash if that's their true corporate policy.

Jrebb, I'm not aware of any organized OC meets/ eats in Fayetteville or the surrounding areas but have heard of random ones popping up every so often. Keep your eyes open here for such threads. That doesn't mean we can't get something whipped up, though. Fayetteville and teh area around it is pretty good with OC and there are plenty of places to choose from.

Last edited:

NC-Heel

Jrebb you sure did hit a lot of places on your first OC outing. Now as far as your trepidation toward your first LEO encounter while OC'ing I would not consider the traffic stop it. There are basically two ways to transport a loaded firearm in a vehicle that is not on your person. One is locked in a glove box or other compartment and the other is openly displayed on the seat. I can not even count how many times I have been pulled over with a pistol in the seat of my car. I have been pulled over once while conceal carrying. I have been contacted by a LEO while open carrying one time. I would laugh at any officer that mentioned GATTTOTP for a pistol laying on a car seat.

Jrebb

Yes, i did go quite a few places my first two days OCing. i had errands to run and figured why not just dive in and start carrying, but go about my day in my normal manner. i have been keeping a full clip and hammer cocked, but keeping a round out of the pipe so far. i just want to keep my personal comfort first. as stated in other threads, im sure it would be extremely rare for a round to fire off on a properly maintained gun in the holster in that condition. i am gettin much more comfortable now, as i OCed again today. no comments or ugly stares. when i first started i didnt know how people would react, but only a few days in it has been nothing but good, and as it becomes more regular to me, the pipe will be occupied. cause what good is a gun that will fire nothing first shot, then require me to rack the slide

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
***EDIT*** still better than nothing. It is not as if i am walking around with an empty clip. anyways, yu get the picture.

Israeli style = no chambered round........but they are very, very good at it. Lot's of training.

Jrebb

Israeli style = no chambered round........but they are very, very good at it. Lot's of training.

Lots of training is right. i have been to the range practicing this method. some videos i have watched say it adds anywhere from .3-1 second on the time from hand on gun to first round fired. i think i landed more towards the one second mark, i know i could "get used to it" or "get better". but i plan on just getting more in comfortable with the hammer back and soon upgrading from 11 in the clip to 11+1, hammer back.

when it comes to my life or a family member, one second wasted could=an unfavorable result

dmatting

...and soon upgrading from 11 in the clip to 11+1, hammer back.

As with many pistols, mine can hold the max in the mag (13) and a bonus round in the chamber. I never do it, though. Mainly because its just so much simpler to insert a full mag and rack the slide than it is to insert a full mag, rack the slide, remove the mag, add another round to the mag, and then insert the mag again. I figure with 12 rounds in the mag and one in the pipe and the spare mag that I always carry, one extra round isn't going to make a difference.

Jrebb

Everyone has a preference in the way they carry. I just feel in an instance where I need my side arm "yesterday". An extra action,(racking the slide) is one less thing I want to worry about. Having a feed failure in a life/death situation is a chance id rather not take.

Of course this is my opinion and I am not downplaying ANYONE or their personal carry preference

JayT

Quick little stop at Ace Hardware today... not a word was spoken about my firearm... Plenty helpful, but of course they always are! :)

WalkingWolf

Everyone has a preference in the way they carry. I just feel in an instance where I need my side arm "yesterday". An extra action,(racking the slide) is one less thing I want to worry about. Having a feed failure in a life/death situation is a chance id rather not take.

Of course this is my opinion and I am not downplaying ANYONE or their personal carry preference

That is assuming one is carrying a auto, not to many revolvers with slides.:banana:

BTW I see you are in the Sanford vicinity, Kewl, there are not enough OCers around Sanford. I don't care much for Cracker Barrel or any franchise restaurant. I tend to prefer local hole in the walls instead.

Last edited:

NC-Heel

Let me give you some food for thought. First off

Magazine_vs_Clip.jpg

Secondly I realize it is a comfort issue thing but I would never carry a firearm that I was not 100% confident in its' ability to not shoot without my input. You will most likely need your sidearm when you least expect it and are in the worst position imaginable. Have you tried chambering a round after being knocked down? While carrying your child? Stab your off hand then try working the slide. My only agenda for carrying is self protection not to make a fashion statement, how about you?

hotrod08

are there any OC meetups in the fayetteville/spring lake/sanford/lillington areas that you are aware of?

Jrebb, I am in the Spring Lake/Sanford area, you should hit me up sometime and maybe we can grab lunch or something.

I know there is at least 3 other open carriers in the Sanford area, however, I am not sure if they are members here.