• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC OC experience reports

solus

off to lowes again and i was looking for screws and a bruiser sized man asked what caliber i was toting...so maintaining social distancing - we chatted, then in the middle of a sentence he did what numerous folks have done in the past ~ pulled up his t-shirt and showed me his concealed full sized 1911.

a discussion ensued on why not OC and out of mouth of this huge man came...i'm afraid someone will take it from me! i looked at him astonished..."whom do you believe would attack you" was the only think i could say...he chuckled stating i had a point and stated he would give it some thought!

solus

well off to the big cities in the west...[note virus has caused a very visible symptom ~ the NC drivers have gotten worse!]

while on my field trip stopped at Cabelas looking for several items and while by the holsters a small framed black woman was discussing a shoulder rig and how it fits on body, etc., with female employee and i kinda asked what type of firearm it was to be used with...

the black woman reached into her purse and started to bring out a SCCY brightly coloured small 9 mm...i quickly asked if it was loaded...no - whew! so gentle pulled it out & keeping it pointed in safe direction, removed mag & locked the slide open and stuck it back into her purse at which time some bloke behind the counter started hollering "no guns, hey...no guns are allowed in here, have to be safety checked at door, did you hear me?" i ignored the screaming and calmly continuing to talk to the woman....

she just looked at my fullsized sidearm & i shrugged! we chatted a bit and she disclosed...no chp or safe handling io akn as she lacked $$$ so recommended instructor who minimally charges for the CHP class...

oh absolutely no staff approached me to discuss my OC'd firearm or say a word about clearing the woman's pistol ~ which would have not worked out well since their employees saw me walk in and no notice on door or near cs desk! by the main doors!

solus

i am sorry to report no panic has crept over the rural religious Eastern North Carolina countryside as i roamed it, all the while OC'g amongst the population...

Memorial Monday took new (used) PU to Firestone for an alignment and sauntered to JC Penny's, through to the interior of the Mall to the eye care shop...[thru Penny's w/o signage allows my entrance in lieu of mall's main entrance which has signage] visited a bit, the walk through the mall to the minimally opened food court to order teriyaki chicken w/fried rice to go...then sat at front mall entrance and people watched...fasinating...
various face mask usage, non usage, and strange odd behaviour...​
couldn't catch the attention of the bloke w/cowboy hat OC'g his holster minus firearm...​
watch a 16-17 year old lad mask in hand rubbing his eyes with insides of his fingertips, then cough and the wiped his mouth & nose with the palm of his right hand as he grabbed and pulled opened the door to go into the mall...​

after watching the lad...i couldn't finish my lunch so i left...

bc.cruiser

Sounds a lot like Cross Creek mall in Fayetteville. Firestone is adjacent to the JC Penney wing. No signage at that entrance, unlike at the main entrance on the side between that wing and the former Sears section. The man with the empty holster either came in that way, or paid attention to the signs at the road entrances to the property.

The signs indicate the prohibition of firearms on the property. Understanding that motorists will not spend time reading a sign that is mostly unnoticed while moving 10-30 mph through the entrance.

solus

thank heavens the mall in goldsboro hasn't posted signage on it's property perimeter

course sears bailed and now the community is worried about its survivability. my walk though on monday showed the majority "niche" stores still closed and a couple showing lease signs.

enjoying the monsoonal rain b.c.almost 6in last week and 3 already today enough to make me want to conceal so the SD handgun doesn't get moldy, rusty!

solus

toddled into the rain to go town to pick up sangria and wine and fresh jalapeños [slice them, clean out seeds, and stuff them with cream cheese right before the guests arrive & ya eat'm raw] for Sat's mexican gathering with friends -- from Harris Teeter and the gentleman [vender] tending the beer aisle asked out of the blue..."whatcha carrying" and as we were discussing life in general and as is normal in this community, i was waiting to be shown his concealed firearm...yep bout 3 minutes in he lifted his shirt showed me his sig...

mentioned wife want to get her CHP which led into a discussion of open carry...for 7 minutes [i know the exact minutes i chatted cuz my bride informed me immediately after i broke off the conversation w/vendor :rolleyes::unsure::rolleyes::cry:]

solus

IHOP has again opened for seating so went in for tips & eggs and as i was leaving an elderly woman sat down and first thing out of her mouth was glad to see you are carrying...short but stocked full of info conversation ensued and as i left...i asked the owner to take the 15$ in my hand and buy her lunch for me...

turned and walked out!!!

solus

visited office max and had an excellent chat with several of the staff regarding open carrying concepts...it was interesting hearing their concerns about theIr perception of the police reacting to seeing a citizen OC’g a handgun...

sad part, i could not conclusively diminish their concerns, as i too personally worry about the reaction from police during these unsettled times...

solus

while getting out of my vehicle at the 'closing forever' bed bath and beyond, i hear a loud..."can i ask you a question? being hollared in my direction...go out, locked the truck, as a man was walking fast towards me...yes..."can i ask you a question?" as he is now standing next to me...[hummm so much for situational discretion!]

"are you a police officer?" huh...no was my response, as he shrugged and turned around and walked away w/o another word...leaving me standing in the sprinkling of rain that was beginning....not smart enough to get out of it...

went to lowes today and one of the work-a-bee in cabinets w/us air force fatigue tag sewed on his lowes vest asked...is that a ruger? er no it is a S&W shield performance 9...stood and talk for about 10 minutes regarding past military duties...

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
while getting out of my vehicle at the 'closing forever' bed bath and beyond, i hear a loud..."can i ask you a question? being hollared in my direction...go out, locked the truck, as a man was walking fast towards me...yes..."can i ask you a question?" as he is now standing next to me...[hummm so much for situational discretion!]

"are you a police officer?" huh...no was my response, as he shrugged and turned around and walked away w/o another word...leaving me standing in the sprinkling of rain that was beginning....not smart enough to get out of it...

went to lowes today and one of the work-a-bee in cabinets w/us air force fatigue tag sewed on his lowes vest asked...is that a ruger? er no it is a S&W shield performance 9...stood and talk for about 10 minutes regarding past military duties...
I feel so mush better knowing you are not a police officer.

bc.cruiser

Decided on Subway sandwiches for supper tonight, so I stopped by our local place on the way home. At the entrance, a sign was posted with Subways's "request" that customers not OC, even in states where OC is legal. I pondered that for just a moment, then decided that I was hungry, I like Subway, and the sign did not indicate that OC was actually banned. In I went. Neither of the customers sitting in a booth nor the two employees paid any attention. I told the cashier about almost not coming in due to the sign; she didn't seem to care. I don't know that I will be back.

Earlier I had been to Harbor Freight, O'Reilly's, Home Depot, Lowe's, and WalMart. No negative vibes.

I guess Baldinos will continue being my favorite even though they are several miles away.

solus

The subway on Ash street is void of customers yet the one on Memorial, the one i frequent while OC’g and as the custom for the last several months due to the heat, enjoy my sub inside at a table.

nobody says a word...

Not sure why the Ash street store is failing as the popeyes, taco bell, and krispy kreme ‘along the strip‘, are doing a booming drive up business and Popeyes, taco bell have been open for inside seating!

zaxby’s from the very beginning, switched to outside drive through and customer cars are lined up around the building from 1030 > closing time - excellent example of American entrepreneur thinking at its finest!

truly not impressed with the way this country’s “NEW” normal is unfolding...

solus

me thinks a laxative might have been better prescribed since your 'full of it'...:rolleyes::eek::poop:

solus

Stopped a Sam’s for gas, gentleman behind me OC’g, went inside and no less then a manager, to four customers commented and gave thumbs up to my faithful sidearm, loading purchases in vehicle, bloke walk by saying he sould starting to OC again...

now i must practice my screaming as the debate begins shortly...