• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Nebraska Resident Opens Fire on 4 Home Invaders – 1 Killed, 2 Captured

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Posting a link to something without explaining why you think it is relevant is referred to as a drive-by posting, and is generally appreciated as much as a dribe-by shooting.

stay safe.

willy1094

Sorry Kopis, I wasn't sure if this forum allowed to to cut and paste new articles. I know SOME forums frown on that. As far an there being no content, I was just sharing a story of self defense. If I can cut and paste (in a quote) the entire article I will.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Sorry Kopis, I wasn't sure if this forum allowed to to cut and paste new articles. I know SOME forums frown on that. As far an there being no content, I was just sharing a story of self defense. If I can cut and paste (in a quote) the entire article I will.

There is the thing known as "Fair Use" - you can't quote the whole thing but you can quote part of it without violating the copyright laws.

But I still want to know how/what you think/feel about what happened and how the community is responding to it.

stay safe.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Indeed, who needs a gun available for self-defense? :p

I can get news feeds all on my own, or subscribe to the same website all on my own. But I can't find out what the OP thinks/feels unless he posts that information. For all I know he could be apoplectic that "Walker shouldn’t face any charges in the shooting".

stay safe.

wrightme

It is more than 'some forums,' it would most likely be a violation of copyright law.

But, as example:
********************************************************************************************

http://gunssavelives.net/self-defen...-fire-on-4-home-invaders-1-killed-2-captured/

Homeowner defended himself with a firearm.

Fair-use excerpt:
Adam Walker, the resident, awoke to a man armed with a handgun crawling into his bedroom window.

Fortunately, Walker was able to quickly arm himself and open fire on the suspects. One of the suspects was hit by the gunfire and died of his injuries.

If this is accurate, it sounds like the homeowner was in immediate apparent danger, and hopefully, will not be charged with any crimes for his actions against the armed intruders.

Thoughts?
********************************************************************************************

davidmcbeth

Banned
Yet another example why limitations on rounds a gun can carry or hold is goofy.

I contacted my state rep. and told him of the ottawa shooting where 30 rds were needed to get the guy ... and in our state you can only have 10 ... and I discussed about multiple criminals.

He just said "it would never pass so why bother". Typical commie response.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Yet another example why limitations on rounds a gun can carry or hold is goofy.

I contacted my state rep. and told him of the ottawa shooting where 30 rds were needed to get the guy ... and in our state you can only have 10 ... and I discussed about multiple criminals.

He just said "it would never pass so why bother". Typical commie response.
What does any of this have to do with the OP?

willy1094

But I still want to know how/what you think/feel about what happened and how the community is responding to it.

I do not post in this section with any intent to debate and do not always feel like I need to include a comment. This section is for true tales of self defense. I only post articles as a service to anyone that may not have multiple subscriptions or may, for any other reason miss seeing these stories. I check this section often for the stories, not for comments. If someone reads the story and makes a comment and I feel like I have something to contribute, I will reply. I don't have a need or desire constantly post my feelings/views. Yeah, I'm not going to have a huge post count but that is not why I'm here. If that bothers you, keep moving when you see that I posted.:rolleyes:

Now, if this section were titled something to the effect of "What do you think of this SD story?" I would MAYBE feel compelled to voice an opinion EVERY time. However, as a general rule, I think if someone breaks in or threatens your life, defend yourself with whatever tool you feel will assure your survival.

Kopis

I doubt the copyright police will be running you down over pasting the article, especially when you provide the link. You arent saying it's your material then. A lot of us are at work with restricted sites. I have no idea how this one isnt blocked.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I doubt the copyright police will be running you down over pasting the article, especially when you provide the link. You arent saying it's your material then. A lot of us are at work with restricted sites. I have no idea how this one isnt blocked.

"(11) RESPECT COPYRIGHT HOLDERS: We often share news stories with one another. Please remember that these stories are copyrighted material and only post a fair-use excerpt along with a link where the rest of the story may be read."

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules

Kopis

You guys are just like the people you despise. It's rather comical. I post the story usually since so many pro gun sites are blocked by companies now.

Last edited:

wrightme

You guys are just like the people you despise. It's rather comical. I post the story usually since so many pro gun sites are blocked by companies now.

It is simple self-preservation. If someone posts copyrighted content, it can easily become a financial hardship on the site owner. Seriously. The policy here is quite reasonable, given the reality of copyright law.

For another perspective: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_troll

As for 'so many pro gun sites are blocked by companies,' read the articles in your non-work time. :)

btw, who are these 'people [we] despise,' and how are "we" just like them?

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
It is simple self-preservation. If someone posts copyrighted content, it can easily become a financial hardship on the site owner. Seriously. The policy here is quite reasonable, given the reality of copyright law.
More to the point, that rule is not open to debate/change by personal opinions.

(11) RESPECT COPYRIGHT HOLDERS: We often share news stories with one another. Please remember that these stories are copyrighted material and only post a fair-use excerpt along with a link where the rest of the story may be read.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules

We try to moderate with a light hand, but more stringent means are available.