• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need an estate appraiser

ecocks

Anyone able to refer me to some good, reputable appraisers of firearms and military equipment in the Charlottesville area?

I have a friend who is sorting through his father's moderately-sized collection of Civil War, WW I, WW II and modern firearms, uniforms and stuff. Don't want him ripped off since he knows nothing about them. He was thinking about just throwing them up on e-Bay but I said no way. His Dad was a partner in a gun-store so I am looking forward to getting his inventory list in a couple of days.

For those who have the movie Gettysburg his Dad is/was the Union Sergeant sitting at the campfire and the first soldier you see as the movie starts.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
First off, E-Bay does not allow offers of handguns or ammo for sale.

I suggest you contact http://rockislandauction.com and give them a list of what is there. Look at their catalogs and see what other stuff like it has sold for.

From personal experience I recommend them without qualification. Depending on what's in the collection it may be worth the expense to send stuff to them for a full appraisal even if it is decided not to list with them.

Also, get a good attorney's advice on how to expense the costs of appraising and selling the collection, as it can save a lot in taxes and other fees.

stay safe.

ecocks

True about the guns but the war memorabilia (uniforms and stuff) was planned for e-bay and he had called me about putting the guns up on some gun auction websites. I warned him he needed a better idea of how to set a starting/minimum bid as well as understand their market value better before doing that.

I'd hate to see him let something really valuable go or get ripped-off in his effort to get the items disposed of more quickly.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Rock Island Auction handles memorabilia as well as firearms. They seem to get decent prices for the items they handle.

And for the record, I have no financial relationship with them except that they have auctioned some stuff for me.

stay safe.