• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need help from the Ohio OC'ers!

Scooter

Greetings from Michigan!
A friend and his wife who live in Ohio are taking the concealed carry course. They do not own their own handgun yet and were planning to borrow his father's firearm. This is all fine except: Dad lives in Michigan (Dad has a concealed pistol license). The class is in Ohio. I keep thinking transport across State line is a problem...am I wrong?
Any direction or help with this question would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Scott

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Greetings from Michigan!
A friend and his wife who live in Ohio are taking the concealed carry course. They do not own their own handgun yet and were planning to borrow his father's firearm. This is all fine except: Dad lives in Michigan (Dad has a concealed pistol license). The class is in Ohio. I keep thinking transport across State line is a problem...am I wrong?
Any direction or help with this question would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Scott
No. He must transport it legally. If the son is bringing it back to Ohio from Michigan then it need to brought back unloaded in a case and in the trunk of the car. If ammo is also being brought back it should be in its own separate case/bag/box. This also applies when taking the class while transporting and until he get his license.

Scooter

Thank you for the reply!
As long as he is transporting in a legal manner (firearm and ammunition locked and stored properly) he is good to go.
Thanks again for the help, I knew I could count on the Ohio OC forum!

Scott

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Needs to go straight from his dad's home to Ohio. No sightseeing and follow all traffic laws. And I would suggest his father gifted it to his son, wink wink...

davidmcbeth

Banned
That's pretty sad how to get it done [notwithstanding that the RBKA is not subject to regulations like this] ... why not call the instructor and ask if he has a gun to borrow.

JoeSparky

Centurion
Needs to go straight from his dad's home to Ohio. No sightseeing and follow all traffic laws. And I would suggest his father gifted it to his son, wink wink...

NO, NO, NO ---- IF the firearm were to be "gifted" or anything other than loaned federal law would require an FFL involvement for the other state resident to obtain possession. Absolutely no problem with loaning across state lines per federal law.

JustaShooter

And I would suggest his father gifted it to his son, wink wink...

Wouldn't that be considered a transfer, and since the son isn't a Michigan resident but the father is, not permitted under Federal law? A loan on the other hand, does not appear to be restricted.

See 18 U.S.C 922(a)(5)

(a) It shall be unlawful—
(5) for any person (other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector) to transfer, sell, trade, give, transport, or deliver any firearm to any person (other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector) who the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, does not maintain a place of business in) the State in which the transferor resides; except that this paragraph shall not apply to (A) the transfer, transportation, or delivery of a firearm made to carry out a bequest of a firearm to, or an acquisition by intestate succession of a firearm by, a person who is permitted to acquire or possess a firearm under the laws of the State of his residence, and (B) the loan or rental of a firearm to any person for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes;