• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need some help: wife opposes me carrying

Status
Not open for further replies.

sudden valley gunner

May I ask why you would be hesitant to help the police? In a way, we're on the same team: we hate bad guys. Granted, they sometimes try to make bad guys out of the good guys, but if they are in trouble I would think us good guys would want to help.

Now in a shooting, I can understand hesitancy, as you may be mistaken for a bad guy. But I think I'd rather take that chance than watch a cop get killed.

Seen how many lies are told and have seen way to many people railroaded.

I am not saying if didn't observe something bad happening I wouldn't help the police any more than anyone else. I just would be reluctant helping the police without knowing the whole story.

7om5hipp

This may sound cold hearted but I carry for the protection of my family, not the protection of other people. I m not going to risk my life to help another unless that person is truly in mortal danger, and pointing a gun at someone is just a threat. I know their intent by their actions, unless they have fired a shot I am not getting involved.

Sent from my NX008HD8G using Tapatalk

solus

May I ask why you would be hesitant to help the police? In a way, we're on the same team: we hate bad guys. Granted, they sometimes try to make bad guys out of the good guys, but if they are in trouble I would think us good guys would want to help.

Now in a shooting, I can understand hesitancy, as you may be mistaken for a bad guy. But I think I'd rather take that chance than watch a cop get killed.

DaveT, and yet you still feel it is necessary to make noise about the instances you have been involved with are isolated...uh huh!!

ipse

DaveT319

This may sound cold hearted but I carry for the protection of my family, not the protection of other people. I m not going to risk my life to help another unless that person is truly in mortal danger, and pointing a gun at someone is just a threat. I know their intent by their actions, unless they have fired a shot I am not getting involved.

So you're going to wait for them to shoot before you act? That'll be REAL helpful to the victim, I'm sure...

solus

davet, i find it interesting you started this conversation over a month ago complaining your partner wouldn't let you open carry.

you have been given advice by members of various merit and yet you continued to complain your partner wouldn't let you open carry.

then you divulged additional information showing you seem to have a propensity to 'stumble' into situation(s) where you state you are compelled to assist at all costs which taken at face value seems plausible, to a point.

then when members challenge you about your rational for carrying and wanting to protect everyone under the sun from danger, you divert the conversation. then you challenge other's contention for only carrying for the protection of ONLY themselves and their loved ones.

Yet you advertise you are second guessing the bad guys who you are sure are going to waste someone so you need to spring into action to take them out and yet you continue to protect policemen who are stupid and get caught in a bad situation.

as i have previously stated, you need to seriously consider quit carrying, open or concealed, a firearm as when (not if) you get involved, your event will make zimmerman's situation look calm in comparison since it appears you lack the appropriate judgment to judiciously know when to pull and discharge your firearm.

ipse

DaveT319

Why thank you. Glad you have me all figured out. Especially that I am making up those events or sought them out, since you continue to put words in quotes, indicating your disbelief.

BTW, I think Zimmerman was wrong for even confronting Martin. He set in motion the events which led to him shooting Martin, and I think it's because he felt empowered by having a gun. He made a bad mistake, causing a shooting that didn't need to happen.

That being said, I'll be DAMNED if I let someone get shot or killed when I have the means and ability to prevent it. That many of you would allow that to happen just because they are not family shows a cowardice that offends me. But that's your choice.

7om5hipp

How could you think he is wrong when according to the courts he did exactly what you propose we all do. They said he acted out of self defense and confronted him because of crime in the area, he was trying to be a hero. Of course you feel empowered with the need to help others, that is all fine and dandy, join the police.

As for cowardice, have you told your wife that you will carry regardless of what she says? Or are you still seeking advice? Just because I want to stick around for my family does not make me a coward, you want us to do the exact same thing you claimed was a bad mistake in your post, you want us to feel empowered by our guns and get involved.

That being said, it is my choice and I will stick by it. If people call me a coward or wuss I simply smile and ask them if they ever enlisted and was willing to give their life for another.

PistolPackingMomma

(snip)

That being said, I'll be DAMNED if I let someone get shot or killed when I have the means and ability to prevent it. That many of you would allow that to happen just because they are not family shows a cowardice that offends me.

Cowardice or responsibility; define it according to your priorities. Mine is to be there for my children. If that makes me a coward in your eyes, rest assured I'm losing no sleep over it.

But that's your choice.

You're damn right it is.

DaveT319

Marriage counseling is over, the thread is now being powered by stubbornness.

It was NEVER meant to be marriage counseling, but many decided to give their "helpful advice" anyway. It was SUPPOSED to be about getting ideas for talking points to discuss the matter with her.

DaveT319

How could you think he is wrong when according to the courts he did exactly what you propose we all do. They said he acted out of self defense and confronted him because of crime in the area, he was trying to be a hero. Of course you feel empowered with the need to help others, that is all fine and dandy, join the police.

I have NEVER advocated for us to all go out and stop crime. I stated that it's cowardly if you let someone get severely injured or killed when you could do something to prevent it.

The only person Zimmerman prevented from getting killed was himself after he confronted a kid who hadn't actually done anything wrong. And I absolutely DO NOT advocate for us doing that. The shooting was ultimately justified because his life WAS in danger, but he had caused the circumstances that led to it happening.

Anyway, this has gone way off topic, and way past the point of usefulness, so the mods can close it now.

Thanks to those who actually provided useful comments and suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.