• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Neighbor shoots at neighbor, swat team called on my street

greengum

This is an account of basically what not to do by everyone involved. Well last week 2 doors down from me a guy we will call "A" fired his gun outside of his house at his neighbor we will call "B". So last Wednesday around 8pm or so we here a large bang outside. I figured it was a firecracker. About 15 minutes later another neighbor came by and said it was a gunshot and she saw what had happened.

A little back story here. I know pretty much everyone on my street except for Mr. "A". He just moved in with his new wife and I have yet to meet him. Mr. "B" is 17 years old and lives with his 2 older brothers who are in their 20's and his parents. They have been over to my house for BBQ's and are no longer welcome because they decided to get into a fist fight not to long ago at my house. They are very pugnacious especially when they drink but overall not bad people. Back to the events of that night.

Mr. "B" was outside talking to his girlfriend who was in her truck partially blocking Mr. "A"'s driveway. Mr. "A" pulled up and did not like her parking job and told her to move. Well I guess hormones kicked in and Mr. "B" got a little upset and said some words to "A". Things then got heated and as pugnacious people go a fight was about to break out. Mr. "A" went inside and grabbed a handgun then came back out to park his car. Mr. "B" decided he was not yet finished yelling at him and continued the conversation. At this point Mr. "A" fired at "B" from about 4 feet away. He missed (I do not know if he intended to hit him or just scare him) and Mr. "B" ran home. "A" parked his car and went inside.

The police were called and Mr. "A" refused contact with them. ABout an hour later swat showed up. They cornered of Mr. "A"'s house and my driveway became the default staging area of all my neighbors standing outside. The whole scene was surreal when SWAT breached his door and carried his wife our kicking and screaming like she was a loaf of bread. "A" then gave up and came outside with no resistance. They interviewed him in front of my house and I could hear the whole conversation. He claimed self defense saying Mr. "B" was coming at him. Mr. "A" was arrested and was back home the next day. I'm not sure what charges if any are pending.

I was open carrying the whole time surrounded by 30 or so police and swat! The reason I posted this was a cautionary tale of what not to do. What would you have done differently if anything if you were Mr. "A"? Have you guys ever encountered a neighbor like Mr. "B"? Well the only thing I know for sure is Mr. "B" will think twice before trying to kick someones ass again.

SoLasVegas

Otherwise, in that situation, put up your dukes and settle it like real men.

This is seriously bad advice. In Las Vegas, even if both parties are in agreement that a fight should take place, both parties are probably going to jail and will be charged with battery if the police witness it or you admit you hit each other. Battery is generally a misdemeanor, but can be elevated to a gross misdemeanor or even a felony if there is substantial injury. If being a "real man" is worth possibly losing your right to own a firearm, then go ahead.

In addition, going into a hand to hand combat situation that could be avoided by leaving the scene or using your handgun is just stupid. The other party could have a gun, knife, or many friends with guns and knives. Never give up any tactical advantage.

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
The cops just let you stand outside your house with a potential shooter in the area? Usually they evacuate everyone. Strange. Glad to hear everyone is okay.

28kfps

This is one of the many issues that get in the way of the pro-gun efforts. The only time one pulls the trigger on a loaded firearm is when target or recreational shooting applying the standard gun safety actions or in a life threaten issue. A more favorable choice for him and pro-gun owners would have been to grab the phone and called metro. The anti gun bunch will be able to add this to the list of “guns bad”, “people with guns dangerous”. If given a chance Mr A should be thanked for his effort by all gun hate groups for his brain dead actions.

Last edited:

The Big Guy

This is one of the many issues that get in the way of the pro-gun efforts. The only time one pulls the trigger on a loaded firearm is when target or recreational shooting applying the standard gun safety actions or in a life threaten issue. A more favorable choice for him and por-gun owners would have been to grab the phone and called metro. The anti gun bunch will be able to add this to the list of “guns bad”, “people with guns dangerous”. If given a chance Mr A should be thanked for his effort by all gun hate groups for his brain dead actions.

Ditto

TBG

Superlite27

"I never shot AT anything in my life!" -- Porter Rockwell's successful defense against the charge that he had tried to shoot the Missouri Governor who signed the order to exterminate the Mormons.

Questionable. In technical terms, he did not shoot at Lilburn Boggs as the buckshot fired from the pistol fired, then dropped outside his window did, indeed, strike him (twice in the head, once in the neck, and once in the throat). Therefore, he did (presumably) actually shoot him.

But it was never proven. However, Joseph Smith was heard by several witnesses to have remarked upon Porter Rockwell taking care of the problem of Lilburn Boggs.

Smith's claim of Boggs being taken care of was premature, as Boggs soon improved and lived for 18 more years.

jfrey123

To answer the OP, on reacting if I'm either Mr. A or Mr. B.:

A: I'm not a very confrontational guy. If someone blocks my driveway, I'll motion or ask them nicely to move. More flies with sugar type attitude, and it works for me 99.9% of the time. From your description, the two people out near or in the truck and it's obviously not going to be there long, just park and go about your business. Don't let someone else ruin your day.

B: Again, fairly not confrontational. If I'm blocking someone's drive way, I'll apologize and either move immediately or explain we'll be out of the way in a moment.

But when Mr. A acts like an Ahole, and Mr. B puffs up his little chest like a little Beotch, this is what happens.

Robin47

To answer the OP, on reacting if I'm either Mr. A or Mr. B.:

A: I'm not a very confrontational guy. If someone blocks my driveway, I'll motion or ask them nicely to move. More flies with sugar type attitude, and it works for me 99.9% of the time. From your description, the two people out near or in the truck and it's obviously not going to be there long, just park and go about your business. Don't let someone else ruin your day.

B: Again, fairly not confrontational. If I'm blocking someone's drive way, I'll apologize and either move immediately or explain we'll be out of the way in a moment.

But when Mr. A acts like an Ahole, and Mr. B puffs up his little chest like a little Beotch, this is what happens.

I Agree, many people today, are not "Personable " and can't talk to some one with out getting into
a pump-up situation, Its about an "Ego-problem" and a "Self for Self " attitude.
Back in the old days, people were more respectful, even in the 1950's.
Things like kindness, and help your neighbor, have almost lost there meaning.
There are a few, but getting more rare today. This old Generation of mine is dieing out now.
Mr.A was a knot-head, just like Mr. B being an aggressor and pumping for his girl friend.
A parking space is no big deal, wait it out. Park in another area awhile.
I would guess about 30% of the time or more, many try to force there rights, even though Mr. A
was right that it is his driveway that was blocked. He should have been more understanding
and not force the issue to a confrontational attitude. Even though Mr.B was in the wrong.
Mr.A lost control of himself.

This really don't have nothing to do with the "tool used", but rather with Attitude and control.
Remember the movie Cobra, when gang members parking partially blocked Cobra's parking spot ?
And he just pulled up and backed the others right out of his parking area, smashing their cars. Ha-Ha !
Now that's really losing it ! Tool was an old car.
However they made sure he had his own parking area undisturbed after that.
By the way Cobra OC-ed gun in the waistband !

Robin47 :)

Nevada carrier

Any time you use a firearm, it is imperative that an no time a prosecutor can claim that you escalated the confrontation. Illegal and inconsiderate parking is not a threat of death or serious bodily harm. I bet there is a tow truck driver that would be happy to remove a vehicle from obstructing your property though.