• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Gun for Christmas! (Pic's)

Sig229

Got a Ruger LCP .380

I will try and shoot it tomorrow for the first time if we dont end up getting that bad ice storm.

But just from handling it, it fits very nicely in the hand for being a super sub-compact pocket pistol.
I was also looking at the Kel-Tec in .380, but this Ruger LCP just felt like it was made much better and the action felt a lot smoother.
They are virtually the same size though.

I wanted something that can be carried in a pocket holster or possibly an ankle holster for backup to my Sig-229.
And also, something to carry while at work and nobody knowing about it.
The only thing I didnt like about it was that it only comes with one magazine. But I bought a couple of extra mags when I bought the gun.
It costs $295 new in the box and I also got a box of 105 grain Remington Golden Saber bonded hollow points for defensive carry.

If any of you have one of these, Id like to hear your thoughts on the gun.

Here are some pic's:
Ruger_LCP_zps716c5fea.jpg

Ruger_LCP_hand_zpsfd5318e6.jpg

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
That pinky-finger extension on the magazine baseplate isn't going to help with an ankle holster. I know. I've tried it. Besides helping create more bulge, its also harder to raise the pant leg in a hurry to draw the gun.

If you opt for an ankle holster, first see if you can get a magazine without a pinky rest.

Oh, and hang on tight. Those little guns jump around in your hand. They're so light, even the minor recoil of a .380 makes 'em jump. The recoil isn't harsh; its that the darn gun is so small, its hard to get a really good grip. I don't have large hands, neither. The pinky rest will probably help, so you may want to factor its absence into whether an ankle holster is right for you.

Also, ankle holsters have two other draw backs.

1) The gun is clear down at your feet. Its not exactly a fast draw.

2. Ankle holsters need to be just a tiny bit snug--not loose and floppy. Meaning after several hours, you're going to notice the constriction around your ankle. And, since your calf is fatter at the top and tapers toward your ankle, the darn thing will slide down until the front bottom edge of the holster apparatus rests on the top of your your foot right where the front of your ankle curves and meets the top of your foot. More pressure, and slight rubbing as you walk.

Unless you need deep concealment, an ankle holster wouldn't be my first choice. If your clothes and situation allow, you might take a look at pocket carry. Just be sure to practice drawing from that pocket while seated or scrunched down behind low cover so you know what to expect.

Firearms Iinstuctor

I have shot a couple of them, frist off they went bang evey time I pulled the trigger. I was able to make head shots at 7 yards with out trouble.

For what they are a very small light pistol they work and are reasonably accurate. If you need a pistol this small they are one of better ones out there.

Keylock

I've had one for a couple of years. As I'm on the slender side, CCing my .45acp was difficult during warmer weather. The little LCP fit the bill perfectly.

08629861-59A8-49A5-8212-52CFE78C883A-4201-000012C583DE0A6E_zpsbde12466.jpg

Now that Oklahoma has OC, the LCP has been regulated to my boot in the event I simply find myself going to Hooters where a gun buster sign greets patrons and thus the .45 has to stay in my vehicle. Concealled is concealled. Just wish the Hooter girls would unconceal a bit more. :lol:

Sig229

Unless you need deep concealment, an ankle holster wouldn't be my first choice. If your clothes and situation allow, you might take a look at pocket carry. Just be sure to practice drawing from that pocket while seated or scrunched down behind low cover so you know what to expect.

Yeah, I went and ordered a DeSantes pocket holster that was made for that gun and its really nice, I can wear jeans and have it in my pocket and you cant tell one bit.

I also got rid of the pinky magazine floor plate and out the regular one on.