• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New handgun question

357luvr

imported post

I'm in the process of getting a CHP so that I can carry my BUG (most likely will end up being a Glock 36, I decided against the S&W 340) concealed. However, I'm looking for a good auto for my daily carry. I carry my Taurus 627 right now but I'm looking for something a little more snag-proof. I've narrowed down my choices to either a H&K USP (in .45ACP) or a Sig P220. Basically, they're all butidentical except in size and capacity. What I was wondering about was accuracy and recoil. I know that the P220 is famous for being extremely accurate right out of the box and my uncle has a USP Tactical that is about the most accurate semi-auto I've ever shot. I used to have a USPc (in .40) but I was still learning how to shoot a pistol at that time and don't remember what kind of accuracy I had with it. My main question is which has less felt recoil? My second question is which has better accuracy? I plan to go to a gun store and handle each one side by side. Whichever one feels better to me is what I'll probably go with. Anyone with personal experience with these handguns, please share your opinion/experience. Thanks.

molonlabetn

imported post

Between the H&K USP and the Sig 220:

Both are high-quality firearms, and would serve your purposes well (basically, you couldn't go wrong either way). The least recoil will be felt through a P220ST, because the stainless steel frame and slide compose a higher weight, which will help negate the recoil impulse. Between a regular alloy-frame P220, and the USP, both would be quite comfortable because they are similar in weight, and the slightly lighter USP has a wider grip and more complex recoil spring setup, which will soften the recoil anyways

Both guns are exceptionally accurate (more-so than the average shooter could take advantage of). Plus, either 8 or 12 rd of .45 ACP is very sufficient for any encounter which could be reasonably anticipated.

I would get a P220, mainly because it is slightly narrower, and with a Hogue grip installed, it handles more comfortably for me.

Also, if it matters, you can shoot lead bullets out of the Sig, but it's not a good idea to shoot lead out of the H&K (because of the polygonal rifling). Not everybody shoots lead, so this usually isn't an issue.

molonlabetn

357luvr

imported post

Thanks for your input. I hadn't thought of the weight reducing the felt recoil but after calculating the weight of both, I think I will go with the P220. I think I'll go with the blued version instead of the stainless steel. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the H&K weighs 26.4oz, the P220 ST weighs 39.7 oz and the bluedP220 weighs 31.2. The P220 ST weighs about 2.48lbs, that's a little heavy to be carrying around in addition to a G36. Thanks again for the input.

molonlabetn

imported post

220s are single stack guns, and a stack of .45 caliber cartridges 10-tall will be around 4 5/8", plus 10% or so for the spring depth, effectively making a + 5" tall magazine, which will protrude from the bottom of the grip by about an inch.

No, it would not be a flush-fit magazine. Something like that would be a good backup mag, or to keep in it at night, for home-defense. I've got 2 10-rounders and a 15-rounder for a 1911... They are impractical for carry, and I never use them other than very occasionally at the range. use Mec-Gar or factory8-round mags (the factory mags are made by Mec-Gar, anyways)...

molonlabetn

357luvr

imported post

Thanks, I figured it would stick out some like what's shown here http://www.sigarms.com/Products/ShowCatalogProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=6&productid=156on the P220 Combat TB. Like you said, this would be quite impractical for daily carry. As far as nightly home defense, I have a Mossberg 590 with ghost ring sights and speedfeed stock for that. If I have empty the 8 round mag of that, I'll go for my Taurus 627 (7rd 357 loaded with Buffalo Bore ammo). If I have to go through the 7 rounds of that, I'll probably be fighting Osama and his gang :shock: so I'll be reaching for my bushmaster XM-15A3at that point! If I ever have to reach for the bushmaster, I'm taking it with me as I'm running!:p

BTW - I know that the .223 round is way too fast for close quarters home defense so there's no need to preach about that. But if I ever have to use 5rds of #4 buckshot, 3rds of 00 buckshot, and 7rds of full power 357 ammo, I'm going to be running so I need something able to take a target out at a distance. I know, I know, I'm way over thinking things here but I like to be prepared for anything.

cREbralFIX

imported post

My first handgun was a SIG P220 and I've owned a total of three 220s. You will find it to be an excellent handgun.

It is also very large, so you'll need to get good gear to be able to conceal it well. It is not "impractical" for concealed carry; it is very possible. You can hide it under just a t-shirt if you know what you are doing--it just requires a bit of skill. Get an inside the waistband holster with LOTS of forward cant. Since it is also a heavy gun, belt loops that are widely spaced will assist in keeping the gun stable on your belt. Look at a Milt Sparks VM-2 or similar (www.miltsparks.com). A DeSantis Scabbard would be good too (but doesn't have as much forward cant).

I found that the double action trigger is difficult to master, especially for a new shooter. You may want to consider the DAK trigger because it is consistent in feel for all shots (around 7 or 8 pounds, which is manageable). The ultimate is the SIG P220 SAO (single action only, with a weight around 5 pounds) and I highly recommend it once they get the bugs ironed out with the safety.

Do carry at least two spare magazines on your person. The 8+1 capacity is good, but you may need a reload or two.

357luvr

imported post

cREbralFIX wrote:
My first handgun was a SIG P220 and I've owned a total of three 220s. You will find it to be an excellent handgun.

It is also very large, so you'll need to get good gear to be able to conceal it well. It is not "impractical" for concealed carry; it is very possible. You can hide it under just a t-shirt if you know what you are doing--it just requires a bit of skill. Get an inside the waistband holster with LOTS of forward cant. Since it is also a heavy gun, belt loops that are widely spaced will assist in keeping the gun stable on your belt. Look at a Milt Sparks VM-2 or similar (http://www.miltsparks.com). A DeSantis Scabbard would be good too (but doesn't have as much forward cant).

I found that the double action trigger is difficult to master, especially for a new shooter. You may want to consider the DAK trigger because it is consistent in feel for all shots (around 7 or 8 pounds, which is manageable). The ultimate is the SIG P220 SAO (single action only, with a weight around 5 pounds) and I highly recommend it once they get the bugs ironed out with the safety.

Do carry at least two spare magazines on your person. The 8+1 capacity is good, but you may need a reload or two.
I for some reason dislikeDAO handguns, maybe it's the standard heavy trigger pull (7.5lbs for the SIG), maybe it's the internal/bobbed hammer but I just don't like them. The way I see it, the very heavy trigger pull (10lbs for the SIG) makes you really think before firing. After that first shot, you have a much lighter trigger pull that makes follow up shots a brease. I feel that it's a matter of personal preference, I have nothing against DAO's, I just don't like them. Maybe I'll come around one day, probably after I get a Glock.:lol:

cREbralFIX

imported post

I agree; single action is wonderful. Glock triggers are OK and are a compromise. I'd love to have a single action Glock :)

Long ago, when I had my first P220, I decided that it would be the best handgun if they ever offered it in single action. Well, that day has arrived, but there are problems with it. Hopefully, SIG will fix the problem soon and get them out the door quickly.