• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Here - I'm John, AKA "Toggle Switch"

ToggleSwitch

Hello Everyone!

Just wanted to take a moment and thank you all for keeping such a great forum active.

I have been around guns all my life (living on a farm for 8 years will do that to ya), but until recently, I was unaware that I could privately buy handguns legally under 21. I was also unaware until a few months ago that it was legal to open carry (thanks to your site).

Is anyone going to the gun show this weekend at RIR? It has been a long time since I have been to one and I was wondering if a decent number of private sellers come? I am interested in picking up my first handgun (to own - I have shot plenty over the years) and I was wondering if anyone had any feedback on what to lookout for at shows.

Thanks in advanced and I look forward to joining/supporting the OC community!

-John

ocholsteroc

Hello Everyone!

Just wanted to take a moment and thank you all for keeping such a great forum active.

I have been around guns all my life (living on a farm for 8 years will do that to ya), but until recently, I was unaware that I could privately buy handguns legally under 21. I was also unaware until a few months ago that it was legal to open carry (thanks to your site).

Is anyone going to the gun show this weekend at RIR? It has been a long time since I have been to one and I was wondering if a decent number of private sellers come? I am interested in picking up my first handgun (to own - I have shot plenty over the years) and I was wondering if anyone had any feedback on what to lookout for at shows.

Thanks in advanced and I look forward to joining/supporting the OC community!

-John

theres also va gun trader,
I went to a show most of the private sales were S&W revolvers(old) a sig or 1911 or so, but over priced $650 or something. I did see a few good deals, taurus 94/judge $300/$400

The Wolfhound

Welcome to OCDO!

Be sure to join VCDL. My experience at the Richmond shows has been that there are very few private sellers. There are good prices at some of the tables from some of the commercial vendors. I expect I will be wandering around this one this weekend.

ToggleSwitch

Thanks

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I will take a look at va gun trader, thanks for the advice.

@The Wolfhound: I am currently looking at a glock 17, 21, or 22. I have shot all 3 on a number of occasions and am very comfortable with them. At the past RIR shows, do you remember seeing any private sellers carrying said models? I know it changes from show to show, just trying to get an idea of what to expect.

Thanks again,
John

ocholsteroc

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I will take a look at va gun trader, thanks for the advice.

@The Wolfhound: I am currently looking at a glock 17, 21, or 22. I have shot all 3 on a number of occasions and am very comfortable with them. At the past RIR shows, do you remember seeing any private sellers carrying said models? I know it changes from show to show, just trying to get an idea of what to expect.

Thanks again,
John

RIR shows? I go to SGK and C&E, Hampton, Norfolk and VB area.

I seen Glocks at shows before, I think there was one Glock. It was like $600 used or something, came with a few extras though. Worth it if you want a gun before 21.
Age? Im just about 21

Bring cash, and check the price. Then walk away count, bring it lowered and make new offer. I did that before. Good deal

Last edited:

Jay

I was just at Fisherville this past weekend purchased my first AR-15 :) Anyhow most of the FFL dealers were selling new Glock's for right around $500 +/-

scouser

RIR shows? I go to SGK and C&E, Hampton, Norfolk and VB area....

RIR is Richmond International Raceway, where they have the Richmond NASCAR races, the venue for the show. The show itself is either Showmasters or C&E, I never pay attention to which is which, one is at RIR and the other is at the Showplace usually every other month. Last month was Showplace, this month RIR

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
The RIR show isn't as good as the Showplace but there will be some private Glocks there.
Generally, private sellers at the shows think them using the gun actually increases the value.:lol:

Welcome to the site!

ToggleSwitch

Thanks again for the welcome.

Yeah, I will just have to go and find out. What should I expect prices to be at gun shows for new/used glocks. If I was buying from a FFL, I would expect 450-550 new. Any tips for what I should stay away from?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Welcome to OCDO.

Be sure to bring $25 with you so you can join VCDL while at the gun show. Be sure to get your temporary membership card and ask about all the discounts that you can get with membership - just don't believe that one about 25% off at the concession stand.:uhoh:

Also, break out your calendar and check these dates/events:
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?99469-Richmond-OC-Breakfast-Sat-Feb-4th-2012

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?99471-Greater-Richmond-OC-Dinner-Feb-14th-2012

Come out and meet us.

stay safe.

ToggleSwitch

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.

@Nova: I will keep what you said in mind. I am not expecting to find anything at the show, but if I do, I will be happy.

@The Wolfhound: Thank you for the comment. While I love just about all guns, I have shot Glocks the most (9mm, .40 , and .45). I just want something I am already used to and enjoy as my "first". I am sure that as the paychecks come in and more shows come around I will branch into others. I also have my eye on the XD and a few 1911 models.

@skidmark: I will! I have also marked the dates you gave me and posted my interest.

@Everyone Else: Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

ToggleSwitch

Just a quick followup ...

Thanks to VA Gun Trader (thanks for everyone that recommended it) I picked up a like new Glock 17. Anyone know of good ranges here in the Richmond area? I know the Colonial Shooting Academy will be opening soon, but until then, I need to find someplace I can put a few rounds down range.

Thanks again for all the help and the warm welcomes.

-John

ocholsteroc

Just a quick followup ...

Thanks to VA Gun Trader (thanks for everyone that recommended it) I picked up a like new Glock 17. Anyone know of good ranges here in the Richmond area? I know the Colonial Shooting Academy will be opening soon, but until then, I need to find someplace I can put a few rounds down range.

Thanks again for all the help and the warm welcomes.

-John

You don't have to be 21 to buy magazines, just ammo.