• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New member / CCW class info request

PavePusher

imported post

I just registered here today, been reading for a few months. My name is Rob Ries, I've been in the USAF for 16 1/2 years. I'm currently stationed in England. I am a legal resident of Vermont, but most of my relatives live in New Hampshire and Utah.

I'm currently on leave, just got to SLC after a week in NH. While there, I applied for my NH non-resident pistol permit. I would like to get a Utah non-resident CCW permit as well. Can anyone recommend a good instructor/class in the SLC area? I called and left messages with several of the people on the BCI website listtoday, but of course don't knowanyone or their reputations. I have to head back to the U.K. on May 10th.

Also, can a non-resident buy a hangun in Utah without a permit? I'm in the market to upgrade my armory in anticipationbeing reassigned to the U.S. soon. And can anyone recommend a range with rental guns and basic skills classes in the SLC area? After several years in victim-ville, excuse me, England, my skills are pretty rusty with anything but an M-16. Thanks in advance for any info you can provide!

personaltrainer1987

imported post

PavePusher wrote:
I just registered here today, been reading for a few months. My name is Rob Ries, I've been in the USAF for 16 1/2 years. I'm currently stationed in England. I am a legal resident of Vermont, but most of my relatives live in New Hampshire and Utah.

I'm currently on leave, just got to SLC after a week in NH. While there, I applied for my NH non-resident pistol permit. I would like to get a Utah non-resident CCW permit as well. Can anyone recommend a good instructor/class in the SLC area? I called and left messages with several of the people on the BCI website listtoday, but of course don't knowanyone or their reputations. I have to head back to the U.K. on May 10th.

Also, can a non-resident buy a hangun in Utah without a permit? I'm in the market to upgrade my armory in anticipationbeing reassigned to the U.S. soon. And can anyone recommend a range with rental guns and basic skills classes in the SLC area? After several years in victim-ville, excuse me, England, my skills are pretty rusty with anything but an M-16. Thanks in advance for any info you can provide!

Victimland...er...England eh? Let me ask you a question. Just how bad is it over there? (Violent crime and all) Also, are U.S. servicemen restricted in their firearms ownership over there as well?!!!!

1st freedom

imported post

Go to WWW.NRA.org home page, top right hand corner," find NRA near you" click on the target, put in your zip code, select search radius and the instructors in that area that have classes schedualed will be listed along with phone #'s

PavePusher

imported post

Tyler wrote:
[size=-1]Doug's Shoot N Sports 4926 Redwood Dr. Taylorsville UT, 84123 Phone: 801-986-7853 Fax: 801-969-6743 Email: dougssport@aol.com.[/size]

Yep, I called them yesterday, got scheduled for a class on Tuesday. Then my Dad and I took his old Remington Model 12 .22 down there for a good cleaning, safety check and appraisal.

Had a look around and they seem like a good operation. Unfortunately, as a non-resident, I can't buy any new guns from them. I had budgeted for a 1911, an M1A and a shotgun for this trip. Guess I'll have to wait until I getPCS'd, go fora trip back to Vermont, then drive them to where-ever I'm stationed.

PavePusher

imported post

personaltrainer1987 wrote:
PavePusher wrote:

Victimland...er...England eh? Let me ask you a question. Just how bad is it over there? (Violent crime and all) Also, are U.S. servicemen restricted in their firearms ownership over there as well?!!!!

Crime rate is definately rising. Banning the guns didn't stop gun crimes, stabbings and beatings are rising rapidly, and effective self defense (rendering a critter incapable of continued threat) is all but illegal.

U.S. service members have to follow all local laws, meaning to own a rifle or shotgun you have to be a member of a club, be evaluated by a head-shrinker, have permission from the police, and have a lockable gun safe for storage. The cops can inspect the premises at any time. The paperwork to import long-arms is a pain in the fundament. One of my better friend shoots skeet, he competes often and is very good. But he often mutters about the hassles.

http://law.bepress.com/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=6426&context=expresso

Specifically pages 8-12 forcomparisons of U.S/England.

PavePusher

imported post

Well, went through the CCW class at Doug's tonight, instructor was Steven Becksted. Good guy, wears his politics on his sleeve, but I mostly agreed with his views, so easy for me! My parents might not be amused... Used a rental Sig-Saur 9mm for qualifying, put a full mag of 10 into the center from 10 ft, first pistol shooting in about 4 years. (Thanks for nothing Air Force...sigh.) Think I'll go back tomorrow to kill off the box I bought, at 25 and 50 ft., then try a few .45's if I feel up to it. Haven't used a 1911 in years, and I'd like to try the SA XD in .45 as well. I'll almost certainly be using a .45 as my off-duty carry when I move back to the U.S., possibly on-duty too if I get the assignment I'm trying for.

Thanks for the advice Tyler!

Tyler

imported post

Your welcome, Pusher.And as far as the XD series goes,I have the XD40 and have been very happy with it. Have fun.

wired_2007

imported post

I just moved from Utah to Delaware where I just recieved my CCW permit in Feb. I was shocked to find out while it is "accepted" in Delaware, as soon as I traded my Utah DL for a Delaware one I might as well cut it up.

I love my XD-40 subcompact :D