• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New news from Oberlin...

Hareuhal

This. Is. Awesome.

These cities need to see what will happen if they choose to ignore the law, or pretend it doesn't apply to them.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

JustaShooter

This. Is. Awesome.

These cities need to see what will happen if they choose to ignore the law, or pretend it doesn't apply to them.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

I love how they are trying to act all innocent "oh we tried to do the right thing even though it pained us so!" when they were told that this wording wasn't legal from the word "go". :banghead:

eye95

If the law is found to violate 9.68, is the city on the hook for the legal expenses involved in bringing the suit?

JustJack

If the law is found to violate 9.68, is the city on the hook for the legal expenses involved in bringing the suit?

ORC 9.68
(B) In addition to any other relief provided, the court shall award costs and reasonable attorney fees to any person, group, or entity that prevails in a challenge to an ordinance, rule, or regulation as being in conflict with this section.

IANAL, but, yeah, I'd say so.

eye95

I knew the answer. I just wanted someone else to post that there would be a significant penalty to the city of Oberlin should they lose this suit, so that everyone would see the moronic post from the troll for Connecticut for what it is.

But, hey he knows everything on all subjects, even the law in all other States.

JSlack7851

Jeff G. told me once that when they defeated Clyde, they didn't collect expenses. I don't remember if he said why, but I seem to remember it was more trouble than it was worth. I could be mistaken, it could of been getting a judgement is way different than collecting one.

JediSkipdogg

Jeff G. told me once that when they defeated Clyde, they didn't collect expenses. I don't remember if he said why, but I seem to remember it was more trouble than it was worth. I could be mistaken, it could of been getting a judgement is way different than collecting one.

I think the Clyde case was because 9.68 didn't allow fee collection at the time the original case was filed. The original case started before the currently 9.68 wording took effect to allow recovery of the fees. The appeal was filed after 9.68 was in full force but I think the appeals court denied collecting fees since it wasn't law on initial filing.