• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Resident of Henderson [confused]

vegaspassat

I'd like to know who exactly gets antagonized by police for simply ocing. I've had MANY encounters (more like run ins) with cops and most of those encounters involved me waking past them. A few times it was at the bar, and others at gas stations or on the street. I'm still here today with a clean criminal record and just as many bullet holes as when I was born.

Turbod'1

Agreed! The "tactical disadvantage" theory ranks up there with unicorn sightings. I'm not saying they don't exist, but...

And my problem with the 'deterrent' of OC - I've KNOWN very bad people that WILL target you -under the premise of getting a free gun.

When you carry open, you leave yourself open; unless you're so vigilant protecting the firearm on your side, and all the attention that will attract, which would be bad-- don't ever believe that bad guys won't target YOU, with the drop on you.

All in the game of getting a free gun.

Turbod'1

I'd like to know who exactly gets antagonized by police for simply ocing. I've had MANY encounters (more like run ins) with cops and most of those encounters involved me waking past them. A few times it was at the bar, and others at gas stations or on the street. I'm still here today with a clean criminal record and just as many bullet holes as when I was born.

'Cause, like I said, when I asked (I shouldn't have), the Smoke store lady told me how they REALLY react [Call the cops!!].

I don't wish to be harassed at any nor every situation where I OC.

See what I mean?

*edit*

You also don't live in Henderson. :p

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
And my problem with the 'deterrent' of OC - I've KNOWN very bad people that WILL target you -under the premise of getting a free gun...

Then why have they never done so to anyone? In fact, not only did they not, but there is only one case in the entire country where someone has, a statistical zero. You've known guys who talk big or just don't get out much, me thinks... :)

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
'Cause, like I said, when I asked (I shouldn't have), the Smoke store lady told me how they REALLY react [Call the cops!!].

My GUESS is that she gave you the response that she hoped would aid her hoplophobia. I'll bet if someone actually did carry in her store, she'd do nothing.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with concealing because you don't wish to be bothered or hassled, though. I do it on occasion also.

Many of us frequent the entire valley of Las Vegas, North Las Vegas, Henderson, Boulder City, and the unincorporated towns of Clark County on a daily basis.

vegaspassat

Caller: yes 911? There is a man with a gun in my smoke shop

Dispatch: Are you in a safe place? Has anyone been shot?

Caller: no he's just walking around.

Dispatch: has he threatened anyone?

Caller: no

Dispatch: is he pointing it at anyone?

Caller: no he's carrying it on his hip.

Dispatch: that's actually legal.

Vegassteve

Again, I feel the need to reiterate that, from what I have read regarding these laws, there are SO many loopholes to snag people like me who don't register AND don't wish to antagonize police via OC'ing.

:)

Read what regarding what laws? You registered thats a done deal.

What cops have been antagonized?

Vegassteve

And my problem with the 'deterrent' of OC - I've KNOWN very bad people that WILL target you -under the premise of getting a free gun.

When you carry open, you leave yourself open; unless you're so vigilant protecting the firearm on your side, and all the attention that will attract, which would be bad-- don't ever believe that bad guys won't target YOU, with the drop on you.

Really? Then you associate with the wrong crowd. You sound more and more like someone who has no desire to OC. So dont, but stop putting out all this false info.

This is OC.org We open carry here. We dont have any of the issues you speak of. What minor issue LVMPD had has been fixed, by a OC.org person. Its non issue.

The Big Guy

See what I mean?

*edit*

I'll tell you what, we are probably going to have our picnic soon. You can come see a whole bunch of OC's there. Next month when I go to the Henderson City Hall to pay the water bill, you can tag along. I'll even go in the front door and walk right past the officer for you.

I even rode up an elevator in city hall with a uniformed police lieutenant (we were just going the same way) on my way to a meeting with the City Attorney. The CA's office is secure with a thick bullet resistant glass and you have to get rung in. No problem, right in, sat in the waiting room and talked to the receptionist about shooting for awhile then into a conference room with the CA and ACA. Not a word spoken about the .357 on my belt.

TBG

Last edited:

FallonJeeper

Perhaps OC is not for you. You came here, to an Open Carry Forum, asking questions, I guessed to get feedback. Yet all the feedback you get, you refute. I open carry every day, every place where not prohibited by law. Notice I didn't say legal. I've never had an issue. That includes my visits to Vegas, North Vegas and Henderson.

Stay safe and good luck.

Last edited:

28kfps

We have over the years heard all of the reasons why many say ccing is better. This is one of those conversations that has gone on and on and on, on every form I have been on. Often times the Pro-CC person had only OC a few times with no real experience of Ocing.
With that said there is no real data that backs CCing or OCing is tactically better. It is an opinion. Unfortunately there is no data gathering system where the would be bad guys post “once again I was going to rob the corner store however decided against it because there was a person OCing.”

One of the requirements on this form is to site where posted information comes from. Some time ago I saw a documentary, which had interviews and questionnaires of prisoners. Well it was several years ago when I saw this TV documentary so I guess this info would be my hearsay.
The prisoners were, asked what thier biggest fear was when seeking out their victims. By a large majority it was an armed citizen. Even over armed law enforcement, as they believe the civilian is more likely to shoot. When asked how do you pick your victims. They look for the weak, vulnerable, unaware. I contend a person sporting a nicely holster firearm looking aware is not going to look as vulnerable to the bad guy as they would CCing. A person OCing smartly does not project the image of an easy target to most.
Had Zimmerman been Ocing instead of CCing would Trayvon have punched him?
Why does the majority of LEOs have highly visible marked cars, uniforms and OCing? Many anti OCers over look a very strong tactical advantage mark LEOs cars, uniforms, and OCing has and that is DETERANT.

I CCed for over 20 years instead of OCing for the same reasons you talked about. I started OCing after researching and reading thousands of postings from different states realizing the standard reasons against open carry was a pipe dream. I now open carry 95% of the time. You say you do not wish to antagonize police via OCing proves you have no real experience of OCing. I have OCed for many years, on a motorcycle, on the freeways, through AZ., UT., NV, National parks, UT state parks, past the pay stations while on the motorcycle, truck stops, OCing at all restaurants. Talk to LEOs while Ocing, had a LEO help me with my motorcycle after I went down on the street while I was OCing not a word about my firearm. Had one sit next to me at a In-N-Out for lunch had a friendly conversation. Antagonize police via my OCing never happens.

If you find yourself antagonizing police as you open carry you may want to consider asking along one of the more seasoned open carry persons to tag along and give you some pointers that may help curb your antagonizing ways.

“Firearm on your side, and all the attention that will attract, which would be bad-- don't ever believe that bad guys won't target YOU, with the drop on you.” An unfounded statement on your part. Read the thousands of OCing postings you will see this is a non-issue. Read the hundreds on OCing how did it go, not one posting of an OCer being targeted for OCing. I contend a person concealing a firearm is highly more likely to be targeted by a bad guy for an assault of some sort than a OCer is target for his gun.

“Don’t wish to be harassed at any nor every situation where I OC.” Once again read the OC postings on how did it go, harassed for Ocing does happen however about as often as being harassed for taking someone’s parking spot.

The only time I got harassed was when I was CCing as I was leaning against my truck putting gas in it. My gun was printing making it obvious. A guy pumping gas next to me saw it took my license number and calls the police. I was thinking well carp I going to get stopped. Never did.

So I say carry. When you get your CCW and want to only carry conceal so be it. You have your opinion and I am not going to try and convince you your opinion is wrong. However this OPENCARRY.org, just guessing, I believe most here believe open carry is preferred (just saying) and may not be that interested in hearing an unfounded opinion saying OCing is wrong.

Last edited:

DON`T TREAD ON ME

If the above statement is correct, we should not wear watches, carry smart phones, expensive handbag, or be seen with anything of value, as we will be targeted and the bad guys will get the "drop" on us.

Here is a Cite, showing OC deterred a crime: http://www.examiner.com/article/open-carry-deters-armed-robbery-kennesaw

Last edited:

bigguyswife

First of all.....Thank you for your service.

Secondly...I don't care for Glocks.

Finally,

I was apprehensive about OC at first too. My husband, The Big Guy, started open carrying 5 or so years ago. I used to only carry when I was with him but carry almost always now. The one time I forgot my .38 special while running to 7-11 is the one time I wished I'd been carrying it....had to deal with a very obnoxious idiot.

The only "bad" experience I had was with a neighbor but he's a neanderthal to begin with.

I get a few looks but I don't let it bother me. I have had numerous positive comments and quite a few thank yous.

Welcome to Henderson......where you can OC in the city parks.....thanks to my hubby!

Stephanie
Big Guys Wife

Turbod'1

Really? Then you associate with the wrong crowd. You sound more and more like someone who has no desire to OC. So dont, but stop putting out all this false info.

This is OC.org We open carry here. We dont have any of the issues you speak of. What minor issue LVMPD had has been fixed, by a OC.org person. Its non issue.

I am not here to devalue the site, rather that, it only takes one felony to preclude my right to ever bear arms again. That is what concerns me -- things like: if I don't register within 60 days I might have little recourse; deciding how to deal with the police IF questioned.

Also, to be clear --I have heard stories of people targeting gun owners but I was remiss in that these were usually burglaries of know gun owners and, no, I don't hang out with criminals since I've left the Army. :p

I'll tell you what, we are probably going to have our picnic soon. You can come see a whole bunch of OC's there. Next month when I go to the Henderson City Hall to pay the water bill, you can tag along. I'll even go in the front door and walk right past the officer for you.

*snip*

TBG

I'd like that. I've personally met several people on this forum and was quite interested in what they had to say. Understand, I DON'T KNOW what is and isn't acceptable here in Henderson/Vegas. This causes a certain level of angst when it comes to OC.

In Alaska... no big deal.

In PA, which [technically] has OC --you'd be in a world of hurt [antagonizing/antagonized by police via it being so uncommon; people **** bricks].

Perhaps OC is not for you. You came here, to an Open Carry Forum, asking questions, I guessed to get feedback. Yet all the feedback you get, you refute. I open carry every day, every place where not prohibited by law. Notice I didn't say legal. I've never had an issue. That includes my visits to Vegas, North Vegas and Henderson.

Stay safe and good luck.

Perhaps not and yet all the same, I didn't spend 9 1/2 years in the Army for the benefits -- I did it because I believe in this very sort of thing; I just lack experience in this matter and don't want to **** it up.

We have over the years heard all of the reasons why many say ccing is better. This is one of those conversations that has gone on and on and on, on every form I have been on. Often times the Pro-CC person had only OC a few times with no real experience of Ocing.
With that said there is no real data that backs CCing or OCing is tactically better. It is an opinion. Unfortunately there is no data gathering system where the would be bad guys post “once again I was going to rob the corner store however decided against it because there was a person OCing.”

One of the requirements on this form is to site where posted information comes from. Some time ago I saw a documentary, which had interviews and questionnaires of prisoners. Well it was several years ago when I saw this TV documentary so I guess this info would be my hearsay.
The prisoners were, asked what thier biggest fear was when seeking out their victims. By a large majority it was an armed citizen. Even over armed law enforcement, as they believe the civilian is more likely to shoot. When asked how do you pick your victims. They look for the weak, vulnerable, unaware. I contend a person sporting a nicely holster firearm looking aware is not going to look as vulnerable to the bad guy as they would CCing. A person OCing smartly does not project the image of an easy target to most.
Had Zimmerman been Ocing instead of CCing would Trayvon have punched him?
Why does the majority of LEOs have highly visible marked cars, uniforms and OCing? Many anti OCers over look a very strong tactical advantage mark LEOs cars, uniforms, and OCing has and that is DETERANT.

I CCed for over 20 years instead of OCing for the same reasons you talked about. I started OCing after researching and reading thousands of postings from different states realizing the standard reasons against open carry was a pipe dream. I now open carry 95% of the time. You say you do not wish to antagonize police via OCing proves you have no real experience of OCing. I have OCed for many years, on a motorcycle, on the freeways, through AZ., UT., NV, National parks, UT state parks, past the pay stations while on the motorcycle, truck stops, OCing at all restaurants. Talk to LEOs while Ocing, had a LEO help me with my motorcycle after I went down on the street while I was OCing not a word about my firearm. Had one sit next to me at a In-N-Out for lunch had a friendly conversation. Antagonize police via my OCing never happens.

If you find yourself antagonizing police as you open carry you may want to consider asking along one of the more seasoned open carry persons to tag along and give you some pointers that may help curb your antagonizing ways.

“Firearm on your side, and all the attention that will attract, which would be bad-- don't ever believe that bad guys won't target YOU, with the drop on you.” An unfounded statement on your part. Read the thousands of OCing postings you will see this is a non-issue. Read the hundreds on OCing how did it go, not one posting of an OCer being targeted for OCing. I contend a person concealing a firearm is highly more likely to be targeted by a bad guy for an assault of some sort than a OCer is target for his gun.

“Don’t wish to be harassed at any nor every situation where I OC.” Once again read the OC postings on how did it go, harassed for Ocing does happen however about as often as being harassed for taking someone’s parking spot.

The only time I got harassed was when I was CCing as I was leaning against my truck putting gas in it. My gun was printing making it obvious. A guy pumping gas next to me saw it took my license number and calls the police. I was thinking well carp I going to get stopped. Never did.

So I say carry. When you get your CCW and want to only carry conceal so be it. You have your opinion and I am not going to try and convince you your opinion is wrong. However this OPENCARRY.org, just guessing, I believe most here believe open carry is preferred (just saying) and may not be that interested in hearing an unfounded opinion saying OCing is wrong.

As you know, I felt comfortable around you guys at Lucky's because I was LEARNING. Not everyone can OC without considering a multitude of factors.

Factors that initially entail trepidation.

I'm just pressing because:

1) Haven't got a CCW yet and, truth be told, I'm more comfortable with that in civi-life.
2) I read enough on here that leads me to believe OC isn't that big a deal; I'm making it a big deal?
3) I wouldn't know how to respond to a LEO challenging me given that I tend to be both Police friendly and honest to a fault and would comply with any and all questions because I don't know any other way (yet?).

-------------------------------------

Bottom line:

Given that I haven't seen anyone OC carrying in HENDERSON [other than myself --last night when I went to get gas and some delicious Miller Lattes!] I FEEL like I'm breaking the law. I'd rather think than feel in this type of scenario but the price of being wrong is a price I don't wish to pay!

That said, I'm available for damn near any OC event [and I will OC as well!] for the guidance.

Turbod'1

If the above statement is correct, we should not wear watches, carry smart phones, expensive handbag, or be seen with anything of value, as we will be targeted and the bad guys will get the "drop" on us.

Here is a Cite, showing OC deterred a crime: http://www.examiner.com/article/open-carry-deters-armed-robbery-kennesaw

Could be that I'm using Opera [the 6% of web browsers] but that link was laggy, ad laden and anecdotal --more importantly: Yes. People get the "drop" on others for having nice things. That doesn't mean you shouldn't HAVE nice things...

'Nuff said?

:lol:

Last edited:

Vegassteve

I FEEL like I'm breaking the law. I'd rather think than feel in this type of scenario but the price of being wrong is a price I don't wish to pay!

It is just that a FEEL. There is no law to be broke. So far everything you have pointed out as you dont want to be wrong about is just not a issue. ZERO NONE.

DON`T TREAD ON ME