• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to OC in Cali... Looking for specific info.

DocMutch

Hey ya'll! I'm fairly new to the OC idea here in Cali. I'm originally from the east coast where getting my CCW doesn't take an act of God and congress to get. So OC is new to me. I live in San Diego County, in the city of El Cajon. I want to be able to carry my sidearm with me for my protection, as well as to exercise my constitutional right to bear arms. I wanted to know, before i go into general public, are there any other people out here in El Cajon or here in San Diego County that open carry, and can help me find the specifics as to any local or county laws/ordinances/regulations, etc that affect the OC population here? I could use the help. Thanks :confused:

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
There's a ton of people in the San Diego area. The only local law that you may encounter is that OC in Oceanside is unlawful. However that law is unenforceable and people OC in Oceanside these days without incident. The main thing you need to be aware of is the K-12 schools. Take a look at the information californiaopencarry.org, watch pullnshoot25's videos on youtube, read the forums for a while, and consider meeting up with some seasoned UOCers who you can ask questions of before you venture out alone.

Lastly, welcome!

ryanburbridge

Sound advice from bigtoe!

I would like to add

While it is legal to UOC in most places it is not without problems. Because most LEO in CA either do not agree with or are not informed about UOC police contact can be down right scary. LEO contact may range from just a nod and wave to false arrest. You can be arrested on numerous charges unrelated to firearms. It has happened! You will have to prove in court that you were not breaking any laws. Can you afford the legal fees? After doing all of your research of the laws do your self a favor and invest in a good quality digital audio/video recorder. Have it running at ALL times while carrying. It would also be good to have a wing man that is not carrying with you that may be able to record the encounter. Also do a search on YouTube for "never talk to cops" it's worth the time to watch. You may realize after months of research that protecting yourself in CA is very difficult. It is worth it in the end. Meet fellow OCers and fight for your rights.

Welcome!

"If squirt guns are outlawed, only outlaw squirts will have guns!"

James Taranto

DocMutch

Watched the Videos

So I watched the whole series from pullinshoot25 and his brother. They're from here in SD so that was quite helpful. I honestly never thought of the whole tape recorder thing. It's a great idea to CYA (Cover Your @$$). Hopefully soon I will be able to pick one up, but until then no OC for me thank you. The whole "he said, she said" thing, in my opinion, never pans out the way you want it to and always screws you in the end.

Are there any local groups of OC'ers that get together here in San Diego?

Also, what would be a good way to get ahold of pullinshoot25 as well to answer some more questions that I might have? I can see that these guys have a greater understanding of LEO here and how they operate.

Motofixxer

Welcome aboard Doc.

While I'm not from CA, but I do know a bit about carrying there. But that's a whole different discussion. What I do want to encourage you to do is educate yourself. Read and study, then when you think you got it all study some more.
As part of that research please see the link in my sig that has a large compilation of legal resources and videos. Some of it is state specific but much of it is general and valuable to know in any situation. Knowledge is power and if you don't have it, then you will put yourself at a great loss in any situation. In essence, you are responsible for your own affairs. Educate yourself so you know how to conduct your actions and words in any situation.
Here are some words of wisdom

"Know, first, who you are, and then adorn yourself accordingly" Epictetus (Greek Philosopher)

"Knowledge is more than equivalent to force" Samuel Johnson (British Author 1700's)

"Knowledge and human power are synonymous" Francis Bacon (British Philosopher 1500's)

Firemark

I will plan a local San Diego meetup next week, had some family emergencies I have to deal with but we will get back to weekly events very shortly.

Last edited: