• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Newly sworn in Governor Andy Beshear ordered the removal of the POW-MIA flag from the capitol.

gutshot II

This came from Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1957468184351183/permalink/2519859778112018/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1957468184351183/permalink/2519859778112018/

Dustin R. IsaacsYesterday at 4:27 PM
Disappointed by the decision of Governor Andy Beshear's administration to order the POW-MIA flag be removed from atop the State Capitol Building on just his first day in office. Pictured here are the flags from Monday after Governor Matt Bevin ordered the flag to fly permanently. It appears it was removed this morning. Today is the first official day physically in office for the Beshear administration.

On Monday, many gathered to honor our heroes. In a final initiative of the Bevin administration, in partnership with Rolling Thunder and others, a "Chair of Honor" was unveiled for those heroes who did not make it home. Governor Beshear was not in attendance for any of the days military events which also included a recognition of Gold Star Families.

It was awesome to have Gabriel with me for the unveiling. This chair now sits permanently in the State Capitol Building. We had hoped the POW-MIA flag would fly permanently in unison with the Chair of Honor. I can't understand the decision to remove the flag.

Look, I know Gov. Beshear wants to remove as many fingerprints of the Bevin administration as possible, but to order the removal of the flag would be insulting to military members & is petty. I hope there is a misunderstanding & the flag will rightfully be ordered back above the Capitol where it belongs. If the administration wants to unite Kentucky, the actions of the new Governor in his first two days in office are contradictory to that message.

Furthering this point, Gov. Beshear has been quoted as saying he would not immediately dismiss non-merit employees. Today, I know of at least 5 he fired. They were two days away from being able to maintain health insurance through the month and through Christmas.

Anyway, you can share your thoughts on this with the Beshear administration by calling 502-564-2611 and asking the wonderful phone operators if you can leave a message for Gov. Beshear.

Hopefully this will be corrected.

#WeAreKY

gutshot II

Elections have consequences and there will be more as time passes. One of the first consequences is that Beshear fired the entire State Board of Education and the new board demanded and got the resignation of the Commissioner of Education. There will be more changes. All public boards and commission will be in play. Judgeships will be given out. The Governor has diverse and widespread powers that are unaffected by the Republican-dominated General Assembly. This is going to be ugly. Andy has been in politics long enough to know all the ins and outs. What tricks he doesn't know, his daddy will teach him.

solus

this came from KY newspeek https://www.courier-journal.com/sto...own-pow-mia-flag-kentucky-capitol/4410387002/

per KY 176.415 Flags to be displayed at rest areas...
(1)(c) The flag of the National League of Families of American Prisoners of War and Missing in Southeast Asia, the black and white banner commonly known as the POW/MIA flag, which symbolizes America's missing service members and our unwavering determination to account for them.

much to the chagrin of the FB crowd there is no mandate to fly the POW at the capital!

change the law

as for cleaning his "house" tis the privilege of the new owner of the reigns of power...c’est la vie...

Ghost1958

So he is guaranteeing himself a place as a one term gov. Shame the traitor can't be recalled.
I'll give it till midsummer and that POW flag will be flying over the Capitol again.

solus

So he is guaranteeing himself a place as a one term gov. Shame the traitor can't be recalled.
I'll give it till midsummer and that POW flag will be flying over the Capitol again.

suck up to gutshot ii to ping his "friends" in the legislature to push legislation to change "a tradition" to viable statute...of course possibly in the future there will be groups who will protest the flying of this flag as it invokes shame against something or other ...

Ghost1958

suck up to gutshot ii to ping his "friends" in the legislature to push legislation to change "a tradition" to viable statute...of course possibly in the future there will be groups who will protest the flying of this flag as it invokes shame against something or other ...
I'll wager by spring there will be a ride on Frankfort by Rolling Thunder , TFO, and PGR and several MC in numbers that will make old Andy happy to hoist that flag himself.

OC for ME

Who would stop the governor from nullifying constitutional carry by government fiat? Cops like paychecks, and we know judges will not enforce their edicts themselves.

OC for ME

Who would stop the governor from nullify abrogate constitutional carry by government fiat? Cops like paychecks, and we know judges will not enforce their edicts themselves.
Correction.
ab·ro·gate | \ ˈa-brə-ˌgāt : formal : to treat as nonexistent : to fail to do what is required by (something, such as a responsibility) https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/abrogate
Getting a cop to follow the law is easier today than yesterday...depending on the individual cop that is...

Ghost1958

Who would stop the governor from nullifying constitutional carry by government fiat? Cops like paychecks, and we know judges will not enforce their edicts themselves.

He can't as gut pointed out for one thing.

Even if he could he wouldn't as I assume he'd like to stay in office. There's really no point anyway. We could carry OC anywhere in the state before CC was initiated with its accompanying attempts at regulation. It's really just the difference in is your shirt over your gun or not.
Not a fight I believe old Andy wants to be involved in

gutshot II

Mistrust and suspicion of government is a good thing but what I see here is an absolute misunderstanding of how government works and hysteria and paranoia over government interference in our lives. What is being suggested is just not possible without a total upheaval in our government. Remember the only change in our legislature since constitutional carry was passed is that more conservative Republicans are now in office than there were before. Is your suspicion and mistrust of these people so insidious that you think that those people will now turn 180 degrees and undo what they just did a few months ago. The whole idea is fantasy. Don't you think it more likely that they would rather stick their collective finger in Andy Beshear's eye. I certainly do. You can expect to see more bills passed that Andy will hate. He has no influence with these people. Ky. is not Va. The conservative Republicans are firmly in charge here and the few democrats left in our legislature have no power. They are toothless and inconsequential. There will be no reversals.

solus

He can't as gut pointed out for one thing.

Even if he could he wouldn't as I assume he'd like to stay in office. There's really no point anyway. We could carry OC anywhere in the state before CC was initiated with its accompanying attempts at regulation. It's really just the difference in is your shirt over your gun or not.
Not a fight I believe old Andy wants to be involved in

sorry the illustrious heads of our states constantly negate provisions of their statutes as does Donald with impunity challenging the respective legislative bodies to override the EO.

can't...really?

same way the leaders can't not sign or veto legislation !

Last edited:

Ghost1958

sorry the illustrious heads of our states constantly negate provisions of their statutes as does Donald with impunity challenging the respective legislative bodies to override the EO.

can't...really?

same way the leaders can't not sign or veto legislation !

Not here they dont. Andy can't reverse or alter a passed state law by himself other than a veto of course.

gutshot II

Beshear will have at shot at vetoing any bill passed in 2020. The Governors that held office had an opportunity to veto all of our existing bills during the 10 day veto period of the year they were passed. There are no retroactive vetos. The only way those existing bill's can be changed is by an act of the legislature or being declared unconstitutional by the courts. Neither are going to happen. Both the House and Senate have veto proof majorities. We are not going to lose any of our existing gun laws in 2020 and certainly not one that just took effect this last July. The only possibility might be that some laws are made less restrictive than they are now.

Last edited:

OC for ME

Mistrust and suspicion of government is a good thing but what I see here is an absolute misunderstanding of how government works and hysteria and paranoia over government interference in our lives. What is being suggested is just not possible without a total upheaval in our government. Remember the only change in our legislature since constitutional carry was passed is that more conservative Republicans are now in office than there were before. Is your suspicion and mistrust of these people so insidious that you think that those people will now turn 180 degrees and undo what they just did a few months ago. The whole idea is fantasy. Don't you think it more likely that they would rather stick their collective finger in Andy Beshear's eye. I certainly do. You can expect to see more bills passed that Andy will hate. He has no influence with these people. Ky. is not Va. The conservative Republicans are firmly in charge here and the few democrats left in our legislature have no power. They are toothless and inconsequential. There will be no reversals.
Politicians will do what they believe they can get away with...voter memories are short after all.

Cops, on the other hand, are not bound by the burdens of following the law if they choose to violate the law (and our rights) when they believe that QI...and their cop shop/union/prosecutors/judges...will give them a pass.

Happens all the time...even in KY I suspect.

How often is a cop fired, a prosecutor/judge removed from office, for their obvious egregious acts.

Who holds these folks accountable other than their professional peers.

Thus the correction I made to my previous post.