• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NFL SEASON OPENING AMID CONTROVERSY-- POLICE UNION PROTEST.

solus

What makes you think I was even referring to you matey? A certain Carly Simon song comes to mind. Hmmm, which one was it?

"If they're attacking you, you must be doing something right"!

shiver me timbers...

let's see lad as we clarify if i was referring to YOU in my post:

first and second items of my post were directed to you...

number three was directed to provide clarification to the moderator and historical reference to all forum members who are interested in the background of this piece of sage saying as it applies to those who have and continue to serve this great country.

number four directed to everyone to show this is not the first, nor do i presume the last time athletes will react to the anthem, and provided a bit of history as to the reason some might consider taking exception.

'finally' was directed to the member who got their post deleted then disrespected the memory of a fallen service member with his attempt at an emotional laden photo of SFC Ofren Arrechaga and his partner in one of the last private moments they will ever share!

last sentence was directed at you for your blanket comment in your previous post!

does that quantify who MY post was directed out lad?

Last edited:

scooter348

shiver me timbers...

let's see lad as we clarify if i was referring to YOU in my post:

first and second items of my post were directed to you...

number three was directed to provide clarification to the moderator and historical reference to all forum members who are interested in the background of this piece of sage saying as it applies to those who have and continue to serve this great country.

number four directed to everyone to show this is not the first, nor do i presume the last time athletes will react to the anthem, and provided a bit of history as to the reason some might consider taking exception.

'finally' was directed to the member who got their post deleted then disrespected the memory of a fallen service member with his attempt at an emotional laden photo of SFC Ofren Arrechaga and his partner in one of the last private moments they will ever share!

last sentence was directed at you for your blanket comment in your previous post!

does that quantify who MY post was directed out lad?

Crikey! But you are a trifle touchy this morning bloke!

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Taking pictures at funerals is quite common. When I was young I thought it was somewhat morbid. But, because I did a lot of commercial photography as a young man and I was hired many times to take pictures at funerals. The best part is I never had to say - cheeeeese.......

countryclubjoe

Interesting to note, that marine and many others died supporting the Constitution, the flag is simply a symbol, the constitution is the Supreme law of the land.. And last time I checked, the first amendment is what the kneelers were exercising and what that brave marine died supporting..

In my humble opinion there is more honor in exercising a right, than posting pics of dead people and their mourners on the internet.. Dead folks and their families have a "right to privacy" and any violation thereof is not honorable.

Now can we please return to the main issue at bar?

My .02
CCJ

countryclubjoe

Nothing is disrespectful about a professional photographer (non-paparazzo) respectfully memorializing a deceased person. The photo in question wasn't snapped surrepticiously with a cellpone.

You guys do realize that President Lincoln had an open casket mourning period, right?

Lincoln had a dozen funerals following his assassination, therefore your point is ?

CCJ

Fallschirjmäger

Lincoln had a dozen funerals following his assassination, therefore your point is?

CCJ
President Lincoln may have been moved many times, but there was only one funeral. And I'm speaking of his laying in state at the Capitol, which as you know was in an open casket.
presidentabrahamlincolnwhiledead.jpg

solus

President Lincoln may have been moved many times, but there was only one funeral. And I'm speaking of his laying in state at the Capitol, which as you know was in an open casket.

snippp (sorry another obscene display of a man of great stature.)

17 times Lincoln's lead coffin was moved prior to entombment in a cage with 4K pounds of concrete poured over his final resting place.

Against the wishes of Mrs. Lincoln to transport the body of the assassinated 16th President directly to Springfield IL to be laid in the first of his resting places, the body was put on a two week decaying cadaver tour.

"By overruling Mary Lincoln “in her desire that the body of her husband should be entombed within a more appropriate period after death,” Stanton had desecrated his remains."

i am sure with the lack of refrigeration in 1865, the cadaver being in the air in open casket display, on trains, by the time he was laid to rest two weeks later the citizens were also enjoying the aroma.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
17 times Lincoln's lead coffin was moved prior to entombment in a cage with 4K pounds of concrete poured over his final resting place.

Against the wishes of Mrs. Lincoln to transport the body of the assassinated 16th President directly to Springfield IL to be laid in the first of his resting places, the body was put on a two week decaying cadaver tour.

"By overruling Mary Lincoln “in her desire that the body of her husband should be entombed within a more appropriate period after death,” Stanton had desecrated his remains."

i am sure with the lack of refrigeration in 1865, the cadaver being in the air in open casket display, on trains, by the time he was laid to rest two weeks later the citizens were also enjoying the aroma.
Febreze wasn't invented yet???? Oh my gosh.

countryclubjoe

Click and go read. It will take 3-4 minutes and its a commentary on Fox News by "Burgess Owens is a former Super Bowl champion who played ten seasons in the National Football League for the New York Jets and the Oakland Raiders".

Nemo

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2017/08/31/ex-nfl-star-burgess-owens-flag-and-why-stand.html

I don't think they are protesting the flag, the flag is simply material with colors upon it.. They are protesting the false premise concerning " Liberty and Justice for all". There exist religious zealots and flag zealots, neither conquer truth, justice and liberty for all. " Thou shall not bear false God's before me".. Those shining light on the so called lack of flag worship, are only deflecting away from injustice by LEO upon folks of color.. The issue is not disrespecting the flag, but abusing power and killing innocent folks while hiding behind QI and officer safety. Saluting the flag does not give one honor nor does non saluting said flag deprive one of honor.
Honor comes from respecting and following the principles that the flag represents, TRUTH, LIBERTY, and JUSTICE FOR ALL..

" One need not salute the flag nor wear a uniform to have honor"..

There is no crime in burning a flag unless said flag is stolen however depriving one of liberty and justice is indeed a CRIME..

My .02
CCJ

Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

I am sure with the lack of refrigeration in 1865, the cadaver being in the air in open casket display, on trains, by the time he was laid to rest two weeks later the citizens were also enjoying the aroma.
You also have to consider it was embalmed on pretty much a daily basis during that two week journey through.

Lincoln's funeral trained traveled 1,654 miles in 19 days; passing through 444 communities in 7 states. The only state along the route where Lincoln was not viewed was in New Jersey.

F350

The issue is an interesting constitutional issue. Said players are simply exercising their first amendment right, a right that said police union members swore an oath to uphold and defend, hence I feel they should take the high ground and perform the task at hand.

My .02
Regards
CCJ

SOOOOooo.... What about the first amendment rights of the police officers???????????

Are their rights subordinate to that of the players?????????????????

WalkingWolf

Febreze wasn't invented yet???? Oh my gosh.

Nope, bacteria causes rotting, and smell the embalming fluids of the time made bacteria for some time a slow process. In some parts of the world important people have been kept for years on display. As far as photos, I guess nobody has heard of the common practice of death masks. It is a way to keep, and respect the persona of the deceased person.

Va_Nemo

I don't think they are protesting the flag, the flag is simply material with colors upon it.. They are protesting the false premise concerning " Liberty and Justice for all".

. . .

There is no crime in burning a flag unless said flag is stolen however depriving one of liberty and justice is indeed a CRIME..

My .02
CCJ

You are in error. Where do I send the nickel change?

Nemo

OC for ME

SOOOOooo.... What about the first amendment rights of the police officers???????????

Don't feed him.

He is a agent provocateur. This "issue" has nothing to do with the 1A. A private business/organization must not be held to the same restraint(s) as the government must be.

countryclubjoe

No one here said the police had no rights.. The police agreed to perform a duty by rolling out the flag for game one, they failed to fulfill said duty. Hence they violated any in place contract.

Caveat, folks like the police that swear an oath to the constitution need be held to higher standard thereof.

My .02
CCJ

countryclubjoe

Don't feed him.

He is a agent provocateur. This "issue" has nothing to do with the 1A. A private business/organization must not be held to the same restraint(s) as the government must be.

Thank you for proving my point. However, yes the players are exercising their 1st amendment right.

What is an " agent provocateur"? Someone that does not always agree with your opinions.

OC, please save the conjecture for WW, he is the pro of conjecture, you Sir are a rookie thereof.

My .02
CCJ

countryclubjoe

Your bigotry towards football players and folks of color is already widely known here, no need continuing to pad your bigot resume.

You hate football players and you hate folks of color, indeed we understand Sir.

Now please put your bigotry aside for a minute and attempt to make an intelligent comment on the topic at bar.

Please no more pictures of dead folks no more picture of black football players.. Just a simple comment will suffice.

My .02
CCJ

B

Bikenut

Originally Posted by F350

No one here said the police had no rights.. The police agreed to perform a duty by rolling out the flag for game one, they failed to fulfill said duty. Hence they violated any in place contract.

Caveat, folks like the police that swear an oath to the constitution need be held to higher standard thereof.

My .02
CCJ
Just curious if there actually is an "in place contract" so do you have a cite and/or a link to this contract that you are referring to? Your answer citing/linking to actual fact would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

countryclubjoe

Just curious if there actually is an "in place contract" so do you have a cite and/or a link to this contract that you are referring to? Your answer citing/linking to actual fact would be appreciated.

Not 100% on any contract simply an educated guess thereof.. Where big business is involved there usually exist a contract.

My .02
CCJ