• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NH Non-Resident License Fee Set to QUINTUPLE July 1, 2009

mvpel

imported post

The New Hampshire Democrats are about to ramrod a quintupling of the fee for a non-resident license to carry, from $20 for four years to $100 for four years as of July 1, 2009, two weeks from tomorrow. We're trying to block it, but it's not looking promising given the 800,000 dollar signs in their eyes.

You should send in the application (attached below or available on the NH State Police website) to apply or renew as soon as possible and save $80. All that's required besides the form is a front & back copy of a concealed carry license from any other state. You can use me as one of your three references if you like.

One thing that they don't mention on the back of the form, which they're required to, is that they have a 14-day deadline to either issue or deny the license. Gun Owners of New Hampshire and our attorney, Penny Dean, are looking for a "clean" nonresident plaintiff willing to help us sue the Division of State Police under the statutory provisions for violation of that part of the law. If you're interested, send in the application certified mail, return receipt requested; keep a copy of your application; and get in touch with penny@pennydean.com.

Be sure to tell everyone you know that if they want to apply or renew, they should apply or renew NOW.

Let's make sure that the Democrats' effort to soak non-resident gun owners for the Democrat spending spree backfires.

TFred

imported post

Other than carrying in New Hampshire itself, it doesn't appear that having a NH non-resident permit gains you anything over a Utah non-resident permit. Is that correct?

TFred

mvpel

imported post

Regardless of the current reciprocity structure or any changes to it over the next four years, the basic point here is that if you think you might want to get a New Hampshire non-resident at any time in the next four years or so, you should get it before July 1, 2009.

TFred

imported post

mvpel wrote:
Regardless of the current reciprocity structure or any changes to it over the next four years, the basic point here is that if you think you might want to get a New Hampshire non-resident at any time in the next four years or so, you should get it before July 1, 2009.
Gotcha, and I do appreciate the post. I was just trying to determine whether or not I "think I might want to get a New Hampshire non-resident [permit] at any time in the next four years or so". :)

TFred

mvpel

imported post

Basically New Hampshire's reciprocity policy is that we recognize any state's license that recognizes ours. We don't have training, photos, or fingerprint requirements, which precludes some states from recognizing ours, and thus vice versa.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

That's quite the increase! The only thing I gain with a NH permit is CC in Wyoming where OC isn't a big deal and I don't have any immediate plans to visit. I sent in my application back in April (still waiting) as for $20 it was worth it just to have it in case I needed it. I don't think it would be worth it to me for $100 so I don't see my renewing it in 4 years.

ijusam

imported post

from the NH laws:

TITLE XII
PUBLIC SAFETY AND WELFARE CHAPTER 159
PISTOLS AND REVOLVERS Section 159:8-a 159:8-a Sales to Nonresidents; Attorney General. – No person holding a license issued under the provisions of RSA 159:8 shall sell a pistol or revolver to a nonresident unless such nonresident has authority under the laws of the state of his residence, to purchase a pistol or revolver in the state of his residence, or unless the director of the division of state police, for good cause shown, has issued to such nonresident a permit for the purchase of a pistol or revolver. The attorney general shall, at least once annually, file with the secretary of state a summary of the laws of each state of the United States relative to the purchase of pistols and revolvers in such states; and a licensee may rely upon such summary in determining if a nonresident offering to purchase a pistol or revolver has authority to make such purchase under the laws of the state of his residence. Source. 1967, 220:6, eff. Aug. 21, 1967.

is this saying that a non resident can buy a handgun in NH without going through your homestate ffl?

KBCraig

imported post

ijusam wrote:
from the NH laws:

TITLE XII
PUBLIC SAFETY AND WELFARE CHAPTER 159
PISTOLS AND REVOLVERS Section 159:8-a 159:8-a Sales to Nonresidents; Attorney General. – No person holding a license issued under the provisions of RSA 159:8 shall sell a pistol or revolver to a nonresident unless such nonresident has authority under the laws of the state of his residence, to purchase a pistol or revolver in the state of his residence, or unless the director of the division of state police, for good cause shown, has issued to such nonresident a permit for the purchase of a pistol or revolver. The attorney general shall, at least once annually, file with the secretary of state a summary of the laws of each state of the United States relative to the purchase of pistols and revolvers in such states; and a licensee may rely upon such summary in determining if a nonresident offering to purchase a pistol or revolver has authority to make such purchase under the laws of the state of his residence. Source. 1967, 220:6, eff. Aug. 21, 1967.

is this saying that a non resident can buy a handgun in NH without going through your homestate ffl?
Note the effective date: 1967.

This does not override the Gun Control Act of 1968, which was the first federal law establishing dealer licensing and restricting interstate sales. If GCA'68 were repealed or modified to allow interstate sales between non-dealers, NH law would only allow such a sale if the out-of-state recipient had a NH license.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

lets see if I understand this correctly, NH will only issue a non-resident permit for people that already have a resident concealed carry permit from another state??

I am from WI, (one of the last2 states that have zero concealed carry) It causes me problems in MI, because MI has Open-Carry legal for it's residents without any permitting or licensing. it allows both open and concealed carry for non-residents with valid CC permits from their home state.
But I cannot legally carry in MI becuase my state does not have any CCpermitting process and they do not accept non-resident licenses from any other state.

I feel it is a waste of money for me to get non-resident carry permits for states that I will most likely never visit. Especially if they are null and void for carrying in other states due to the reciprocity clause ststing they only accept resident permits.

So if I am up in the vast wilderness areas in upper Michigan or in Detroit. I cannot legaly carry a firearm to protect myself from anything.

mvpel

imported post

Thanks to Rep. Elbert Bicknell, former President of Gun Owners of New Hampshire and former member of the Joint Legislative Committee on Administrative Rules, the "other state" license to carry need not be from your state of residence.

mvpel

imported post

Penny is the volunteer attorney for Gun Owners of New Hampshire, and is accustomed to taking misbehaving law-enforcement officials to task over firearms issues. She has a plan of action for addressing the failure of the State Police to comply with the 14-day deadline for issuing non-resident licenses, she just needs someone with legal standing (who applied but can legally prove they didn't get the license within the 14-day deadline) who's also willing to volunteer to do some of the legwork to move the case forward, to the benefit of gun owners all across the country.