• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No guns allowed in Cleveland during the GOP convention

Brian D.

Ohio Governor John Kasich was quick and concise in his reply to Cleveland: He cannot and will not suspend either Constitutional rights (U.S. and Ohio) or valid Ohio laws. The latter is in reference to Ohio Revised Code 9.68, statewide preemption of local gun laws, among others. Cleveland has twice challenged and lost in court, all the way up to the Ohio Supreme Court, ORC 9.68 legality.

solus

Ohio Governor John Kasich was quick and concise in his reply to Cleveland: He cannot and will not suspend either Constitutional rights (U.S. and Ohio) or valid Ohio laws. The latter is in reference to Ohio Revised Code 9.68, statewide preemption of local gun laws, among others. Cleveland has twice challenged and lost in court, all the way up to the Ohio Supreme Court, ORC 9.68 legality.

CNN quote: Kasich, responding to the request, said: "Ohio governors do not have the power to arbitrarily suspend federal and state constitutional rights or state laws as suggested."

"The bonds between our communities and police must be reset and rebuilt -- as we're doing in Ohio -- so our communities and officers can both be safe. Everyone has an important role to play in that renewal," he said. unquote.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/17/politics/cleveland-police-baton-rouge-security-open-carry/

darn good response...

ipse

added: same cite, quote:...(added for clarity ~ Loomis, president of Cleveland Police Patrolmen's Association) ...I don't care if it's constitutional or not at this point,...Loomis also said officers here would begin ramping up inspections and oversight over anyone who is holstering a weapon entering the downtown area, where the Republican convention is scheduled to begin on Monday.

the union president is directing police activities after stating he doesn't care about citizens constitutional interests.

Last edited:

countryclubjoe

CNN quote: Kasich, responding to the request, said: "Ohio governors do not have the power to arbitrarily suspend federal and state constitutional rights or state laws as suggested."

"The bonds between our communities and police must be reset and rebuilt -- as we're doing in Ohio -- so our communities and officers can both be safe. Everyone has an important role to play in that renewal," he said. unquote.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/17/politics/cleveland-police-baton-rouge-security-open-carry/

darn good response...

ipse

added: same cite, quote:...(added for clarity ~ Loomis, president of Cleveland Police Patrolmen's Association) ...I don't care if it's constitutional or not at this point,...Loomis ale noto said officers here would begin ramping up inspections and oversight over anyone who is holstering a weapon entering the downtown area, where the Republican convention is scheduled to begin on Monday.

the union president is directing police activities after stating he doesn't care about citizens constitutional interests.

Did this idiot not take an oath to uphold our Constitution, what a tyrant... He should be fired yesterday for his anti constitutional rhetoric oh wait that is his right, however he wants to relieve others of their right... Isn't this what the British armies wanted to do some 240+ years ago... What a sadistic tyrant...

davidmcbeth

Banned
Did this idiot not take an oath to uphold our Constitution, what a tyrant... He should be fired yesterday for his anti constitutional rhetoric oh wait that is his right, however he wants to relieve others of their right... Isn't this what the British armies wanted to do some 240+ years ago... What a sadistic tyrant...

He had his fingers crossed !

Really, the oath means nothing at all. And you'll see ... no official action will be taken against him.

Make violating the oath a felony .... then maybe they'll think twice....maybe.

Brian D.

Thanks for providing the link to both that police union spokesperson's and Ohio Governor's statements, solus. Very hard for me to do such stuff from this semi smart phone.

twoskinsonemanns

Well, I think its clear that the GOP does not welcome gun owners and carriers. Regardless of what the law may say, why be a member of such a party?

The GOP welcomes gun owners with wide open arms...as long as they are at a distance. A faaaaaar distance. I'l take your money and votes but don't come near me sheep.

twoskinsonemanns

TV told him it was okay.
I watched an interview on MSNBC of a former police chief strongly recommending that ALL people with guns be tackled and arrested for disturbing the peace and deal with litigation later.

solus

hammer6

Why do you think that items that are already "prohibited by the laws of the State of Ohio" would not also be prohibited during the GOP convention? Do you expect some type of suspension of gun laws for that event? The only "knowledge/expertise regarding this" that is necessary is sixth grade reading comprehension.

you need to back to computer science class...you've had your BOLD on for some time now..

hammer6

I also do not think it is just the city, but rather Feds/Secret Service that will apply some Federal law. Again, I really think there is more to this than being told.

federal law?

what federal law?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by gutshot

Why do you think that items that are already "prohibited by the laws of the State of Ohio" would not also be prohibited during the GOP convention? Do you expect some type of suspension of gun laws for that event? The only "knowledge/expertise regarding this" that is necessary is sixth grade reading comprehension.

you need to back to computer science class...you've had your BOLD on for some time now..

Gutshot is visually impaired and has special dispensation from the site Administration to post accordingly.

Ohio

federal law?

what federal law?

I am not sure that is why I did not list. I am questioning to someone that knows better. I have read this...you can google search it...I think it allows Fed to trump state law. Again, I am asking and do not know anything about this.
Under federal law, the Secret Service may ban firearms from sites visited by people under its protection including in so-called “open-carry states” such as Ohio, Secret Service spokesman Robert Hoback said. Leading Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump is under the agency’s protection.

countryclubjoe

I am not sure that is why I did not list. I am questioning to someone that knows better. I have read this...you can google search it...I think it allows Fed to trump state law. Again, I am asking and do not know anything about this.
Under federal law, the Secret Service may ban firearms from sites visited by people under its protection including in so-called “open-carry states” such as Ohio, Secret Service spokesman Robert Hoback said. Leading Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump is under the agency’s protection.

Secret Service Agency has the power to violate and or remove the 2A right from LAC? I can't wait to see that Federal Law... Please cite when you can.
Regards
CCJ

solus

Secret Service Agency has the power to violate and or remove the 2A right from LAC? I can't wait to see that Federal Law... Please cite when you can.
Regards
CCJ

quote: Title 18 United States Code Sections 3056 and 1752, provides the Secret Service authority to preclude firearms from entering sites visited by our protectees, including those located in open-carry states. Only authorized law enforcement personnel working in conjunction with the Secret Service for a particular event may carry a firearm inside of the protected site. unquote http://www.newsnet5.com/news/local-...f-firearms-at-quicken-loans-arena-during-rnc-

seems the news organization believed the SS' statement at face value but when i read both sections do not see any specific reference to firearms.

ipse

Last edited:

countryclubjoe

quote: Title 18 United States Code Sections 3056 and 1752, provides the Secret Service authority to preclude firearms from entering sites visited by our protectees, including those located in open-carry states. Only authorized law enforcement personnel working in conjunction with the Secret Service for a particular event may carry a firearm inside of the protected site. unquote http://www.newsnet5.com/news/local-...f-firearms-at-quicken-loans-arena-during-rnc-

seems the news organization believed the SS' statement at face value but when i read both sections do not see any specific reference to firearms.

ipse

Thank you kind Sir, you beat me to it...
Regards
CCJ