• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No holsters at courthouse

poetdante

I was visiting the courthouse today and the guards made me check in my kydex holsters. It was a very odd ordeal. They didnt like the rivets in my boots either

davidmcbeth

Banned
I was visiting the courthouse today and the guards made me check in my kydex holsters. It was a very odd ordeal. They didnt like the rivets in my boots either

I would recommend you contacting your chief court administrator or equivalent regarding this....ask to see their policies, review them, and take any action you desire.

I've had issues with what I can and cannot bring into a courthouse/courtroom and contacted my superior court's chief administrator and had the rules changed.

And am in contact now with what I consider to be rules that violate my first amendment rights and other rights~~ if they do not change the rules I shall file a civil complaint ~~ I expect to file a civil suit next week.

And I occasionally use gun cases as briefcases .... to make a point that I am not a sheep. I have had no problem getting gun cases into courthouses and courtrooms. I don't see your holster as being any different.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned

Regarding the rivets .. it appears as if they made you go through a metal detector. Of course, any unwarranted search is a violation of the 4th amendment unless the agency can prove that they are covered under some exemption/exception to that rule.

I don't know anything about the court you visited but it might be that your 4th amendment rights were violated.

I'll leave it up to you for any corrective action (or none) that you may wish to pursue.

Myself: zero tolerance for 4th amendment violations. I have several cases pending relating to metal detector searches that violated my 4th amendment rights. In these cases the agency has not plead anything that would support that they are covered under any exemption or exception to the 4th amendment. Will be fun cases at trial.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Would you have stripped down to your skivvies if the officer ordered you to??????

Just rhetorical.....

No, its a good question. Can they demand this of you? Well, if its just an administrative search, then one can turn around and leave at any time. And I have done this on numerous occasions...sometimes they yell "Hey, get back here!" which I just ignore.

So they cannot demand this of you if the search was just an admin search.

As to if the person who did the search is an "officer" is another good question....beats me...maybe, maybe not.

One needs to understand these things if one is going to be going to a public bldg. The more law you know, the better you will know how to behave w/i the confines of the law and w/o voluntarily abandoning your rights. I don't argue with the .govs ... I ask probative questions and do what I need to for an expected pending civil case...if they want violate my rights, I have recourse ~ either there and then or later.

poetdante

Glad to see this thread made it, my internet connection timed out.

The justification they sherrif's deputies gave me was that holsters peak out from under clothing and people "fear for their life" thinking there is a gun in it. I couldnt contest it then because I was volunteering and had a court case to get to but will be addressing this issue as best as I can from home.

I did not need to take my boots off but they did want the belt off.

Gott find out who to talk to about it

Oddlu enough they let me carry my elzetta with crenalated bevel head in.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Glad to see this thread made it, my internet connection timed out.

The justification they sherrif's deputies gave me was that holsters peak out from under clothing and people "fear for their life" thinking there is a gun in it. I couldnt contest it then because I was volunteering and had a court case to get to but will be addressing this issue as best as I can from home.

I did not need to take my boots off but they did want the belt off.

Gott find out who to talk to about it

Oddlu enough they let me carry my elzetta with crenalated bevel head in.

Does not sound like a good reason that the deputies gave ya .. good luck in your addressing the issue further. Contesting at a time wherein a court appearance is required? I've gone both ways ... been booted out of courthouses many times too. And let right back in many times after a phone call placed to the right person.

Always have the motion to reopen or new hearing if needed too.

countryclubjoe

About 10 years ago, in a small municipality in NJ, I had a traffic violation case thrown out due in part to this scenario. The court room did not have metal detectors therefore they stationed a PO at the court room doors to pat down everyone, When my case was called, I respectively informed the judge that I was there under protest and duress, than pleaded not guilty, standard. I than proceeded to ask for a change of venue for fear that I would not receive a fair an impartial trial, naturally the judge ask me to take a seat and that my case would be called at a later time, I objected and requested a side bar.. Judge agreed than asked me why I felt I would not be receiving a fair and impartial, I replied that when I entered the court room today, I was patted down and made to feel like a common criminal, the judge said well Sir that is standard practice in this court room, I than asked if she, or the prosecutor or the police officer that was testifying against me were patted down and made to feel like a common criminal, naturally she replied with a soft answer of no Sir we were not, I than ask for a change of venue or a dismissal... She looked at the prosecutor, looked at me and said case dismissed and Mr. CCJ, i never want to see you in my court room again.. Traffic kangaroo courts are a joke...

Regards

Va_Nemo

I would recommend you contacting your chief court administrator or equivalent regarding this....ask to see their policies, review them, and take any action you desire.

I've had issues with what I can and cannot bring into a courthouse/courtroom and contacted my superior court's chief administrator and had the rules changed.

And am in contact now with what I consider to be rules that violate my first amendment rights and other rights~~ if they do not change the rules I shall file a civil complaint ~~ I expect to file a civil suit next week.

And I occasionally use gun cases as briefcases .... to make a point that I am not a sheep. I have had no problem getting gun cases into courthouses and courtrooms. I don't see your holster as being any different.

Note added bold in quote above.
Be sure to give us a cite or link so we can keep up with how and whats going on with the case(s).

Nemo

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
About 10 years ago, in a small municipality in NJ, I had a traffic violation case thrown out due in part to this scenario. The court room did not have metal detectors therefore they stationed a PO at the court room doors to pat down everyone, When my case was called, I respectively informed the judge that I was there under protest and duress, than pleaded not guilty, standard. I than proceeded to ask for a change of venue for fear that I would not receive a fair an impartial trial, naturally the judge ask me to take a seat and that my case would be called at a later time, I objected and requested a side bar.. Judge agreed than asked me why I felt I would not be receiving a fair and impartial, I replied that when I entered the court room today, I was patted down and made to feel like a common criminal, the judge said well Sir that is standard practice in this court room, I than asked if she, or the prosecutor or the police officer that was testifying against me were patted down and made to feel like a common criminal, naturally she replied with a soft answer of no Sir we were not, I than ask for a change of venue or a dismissal... She looked at the prosecutor, looked at me and said case dismissed and Mr. CCJ, i never want to see you in my court room again.. Traffic kangaroo courts are a joke...

Regards

I'm surprised...admin searches can exclude those that the authority does not wish to search ... luckily in CT if you lose the first trial then you can ask for a de novo trial before an actual judge.

countryclubjoe

I'm surprised...admin searches can exclude those that the authority does not wish to search ... luckily in CT if you lose the first trial then you can ask for a de novo trial before an actual judge.

they never search their own.. only us criminals, just another scare tactic however doesn't work on us folks that known their scam..

poetdante

So oddly enough I had made a call to Judge Holton requesting a meeting with him to talk about his work with veterans and life as a blind law student (my wife is completely blind and wanted to ask about the experience). He calls me back saying he'd be happy to meet with us and even recognized me as the same guy who sent the email to his administrator asking about why my holsters were confiscated. I clarified they weren't confiscated but simply logged in. Apparently he is the chief justice and is the top guy for answering exactly that question so he thought it was very strange the sheriff's deputies did that. Upon giving him the reason given to me (holsters scare people). He didn't say it was the wrong thing for them to do, as keeping the peace and order in the courts was the most important thing. Overall a very pleasant man to talk to and I look forward to meeting him in person.

Conclusion: don't expect to get your holsters past security at the Jefferson County Hall of Justice

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
So oddly enough I had made a call to Judge Holton requesting a meeting with him to talk about his work with veterans and life as a blind law student (my wife is completely blind and wanted to ask about the experience). He calls me back saying he'd be happy to meet with us and even recognized me as the same guy who sent the email to his administrator asking about why my holsters were confiscated. I clarified they weren't confiscated but simply logged in. Apparently he is the chief justice and is the top guy for answering exactly that question so he thought it was very strange the sheriff's deputies did that. Upon giving him the reason given to me (holsters scare people). He didn't say it was the wrong thing for them to do, as keeping the peace and order in the courts was the most important thing. Overall a very pleasant man to talk to and I look forward to meeting him in person.

Conclusion: don't expect to get your holsters past security at the Jefferson County Hall of Justice
But, that doesn't mean he didn't thunk it. I would bet a korndog it won't happen again.

idodishez

Checking into a local courthouse in Ohio, I asked the sheriff if he could wand me so I didn't have to take my empty holster off to go through the metal detector. He was apparently of the "only cops should have guns" crowd and angrily asked me "WHAT DO YOU HAVE A HOLSTER FOR?"

Well, I'll give you one guess genius.......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

davidmcbeth

Banned
Checking into a local courthouse in Ohio, I asked the sheriff if he could wand me so I didn't have to take my empty holster off to go through the metal detector. He was apparently of the "only cops should have guns" crowd and angrily asked me "WHAT DO YOU HAVE A HOLSTER FOR?"

Well, I'll give you one guess genius.......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Newbies .....

First put the holster into a backpack and have them run it through the packaging scanner ... then afterwards attach it to your person.

They no longer can complain .. you already went through their security process and went through OK.

I do it all the time with body armor .... they sometimes come up to me afterwards and start querying "did you go through security? and/or "Are you a felon?"...which I respond "I don't answer probative questions w/o my lawyer being present and I do not consent to any consensual contacts."

They scratch their heads and find out that there is no prohibition on wearing body armor.

Fishing expedition over.