• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No OC in Sports Authority???

Diesel

So earlier today I walked into Sports Authority (SA) to get some 5.56 ammo. I had my Glock (mag inserted) on my hip in a Sherpa holster and another 2 mags on the other side. I found a manager, who I knew, and asked him if I could buy some ammo. He said he would, but just giving me an FYI, that normally he would have me leave because OC is not allow in SA. He said it is because SA is private property and that I need permission before bringing a weapon in the store. CC is not a problem because no one knows you have it. SA did not have a no weapons sign in their windows that I have seen.

I hold a CCW and even offered to take it back out to my car. I do know that OC or CC is prohibited on RESIDENTIAL private property unless you have the owners permission. I want to know if I or SA did something wrong and has anyone else had this problem. I have seen people carry in the store, during winter time it is CC but,, of course you get hot and unzip your coat and your CC is now OC.

boyscout399

I used to be a manager at a Sports Authority. There is no corporate policy about customers carrying firearms in the store. There is a policy about employees not carrying. The manager was misquoting policy.

Diesel

Thank you,

I also worked at SA for a few months and I know about that policy. This manager was a manager of mine when I worked for SA, he is a great guy, so I figured he got things mixed up. Alaska does have a no carry on private property, that is only for residential though as previously mentioned.

carracer

Our Sports Authority DOES have a sign! It says all guns brought in for repair or fitting of accessories must be checked in.

Carry, open or concealed is fine as long as it stayes holstered, as it should be.

Diesel

Our Sports Authority DOES have a sign! It says all guns brought in for repair or fitting of accessories must be checked in.

Carry, open or concealed is fine as long as it stayes holstered, as it should be.

Thanks for that info. However Alaska is a Constitutional Carry state. OC/CC with or without a permit to do so. If I ever do visit Idaho I will be alert for those signs, it is always good to know what other states do from residents of those states. The internet can only give you so much information.

Diesel

So I was finally able to call SA's corporate office today. I asked the lady on SA's corporate policy on the carry of firearms into their stores. She asked for what purposes, example, like repairs. I said I OC and CC for personal protection. She replied that she didn't know and would find out if I wouldn't mind waiting. I said I would wait. She got back to me in about 2 minutes and said the the firearms policy is this, condensed. You may carry into SA, however, the firearm must be unloaded and secured. Meaning a case or holster.

What are your opinions in this. For those in/out of Alaska, the 2 SA in anchorage do NOT have any signage restricting firearms in any way shape or form.

carracer

I think you are communicating with low level people that don't know what the policy is. Corporate or not, there are employees that don't know the correct chain of command or direction, or, even how to phrase the question properly.

Diesel

I think you are communicating with low level people that don't know what the policy is. Corporate or not, there are employees that don't know the correct chain of command or direction, or, even how to phrase the question properly.

Possibly at corporate. I know the manager and he is a great guy, very honest and fair. I think from now on I will just CC there. They cant say anything if they don't know its there.