• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No Open Carry in New Kent Gun Store

Blk97F150

From a VCDL.org email alert (if you don't get them... you can sign up here: https://www.vcdl.org/va-alert )

3. If you like being insulted, do we have a Virginia gun store for you!

A VCDL member brought to our attention a “No loaded guns” sign on the door of Absolute Outdoors in New Kent. EM Ed Levine sent them an email to confirm that policy.

First, let me say that many gun stores have a “no loaded guns” policy. That’s because, unlike pretty much any other public place around, people are actually drawing guns and handling them in a gun store. That said, many stores have a better policy of saying that a person can have a holstered, loaded handgun as long as the gun never leaves the holster while the owner is in the store.

So, if the “no loaded guns” was indeed Absolute Outdoors's policy, it wouldn’t be the best policy, but it wouldn’t be uncommon for such a business.

However, the response Ed got back was, well, unbelievable and uncalled for.

We report, you decide.

Here is Ed’s email to Absolute Outdoors:

On Jun 30, 2014 10:04 AM, <Ed> wrote:

Hi -

Someone told me that you guys have a sign on your door that prohibits the lawful carry of firearms by customers (unless they are law enforcement). [PVC: Here I will note that Ed should have said “...the lawful carry of a LOADED firearm by customers…” However, this would have been a good opportunity for the gun store to set the record straight.]

I just wanted to confirm that before I put the word out to 30,000 Virginia gun owners.

Thanks,

Ed Levine
Founder - Virginia Open Carry
Executive Member - Virginia Citizens Defense League
NRA - Life member and Instructor
GOA - member

The response back to Ed:

In a message dated 6/30/2014 11:16:22 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, abowarehouse@gmail.com writes:

You need to add to your list of titles:

Loser
Idiot
In desperate need of a life
life long member of the tiny dxxx club (obscenity removed)
Just plain stupid

Now that better describes you.

Rick Baker, owner

I'm usually there everyday so you should drop by and see me little man.

Sounds like Sarah Brady wrote that clever response to Ed. Ed was in the Marines, so I’m not so sure that the “little man” thing fits him very well. ;-)

There are lots of gun stores out there and I know that I, for one, won’t be headed to Absolute Outdoors anytime soon. I’ll be spending my money with gun dealers that treat gun owners in a friendly and respectful manner. There are plenty of them out there.

Last edited:

taurusfan

I am not surprised I stopped by that shop once the owner is a jerk. No reason to go in that store.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Thanks for posting BLK...I'm still having trouble seeing but wanted ti put it up. This needs to be re posted everywhere.

conhntr

I went ahead and emailed the owner asking for a price quote on some expensive guns. Need to keep him busy as he wont have many customers now. When he responds il answer opps i guess there are cost for being an ANTI and ingorant. Ill spend my money elsewhere. Wonder what he is going to call me.

2ndAmendmentMom

Absolutely Outdoors Reply to Email

If you haven't seen this yet, or hasn't been posted here yet:

http://gunssavelives.net/blog/busin...op-rips-customer-in-email-about-carry-policy/

On Jun 30, 2014 10:04 AM, [Ed Levine] wrote:
Hi -
Someone told me that you guys have a sign on your door that prohibits the lawful carry of firearms by customers (unless they are law enforcement).
I just wanted to confirm that before I put the word out to 30,000 Virginia gun owners.
Thanks,
Ed Levine
Founder – Virginia Open Carry
Executive Member – Virginia Citizens Defense League
NRA – Life member and Instructor
GOA – member
On Jun 30, 2014 11:16 AM, [Absolutely Outdoors] writes:
You need to add to your list of titles:
Loser
Idiot
In desperate need of a life
life long member of the tiny dick club
Just plain stupid
Now that better describes you.
[Redacted], owner
I’m usually there everyday so you should drop by and see me little man.

2ndAmendmentMom

I went ahead and emailed the owner asking for a price quote on some expensive guns. Need to keep him busy as he wont have many customers now. When he responds il answer opps i guess there are cost for being an ANTI and ingorant. Ill spend my money elsewhere. Wonder what he is going to call me.

Nice way to do it... might get the point across more than berating him...

The Truth

This is just a little bit disturbing. A grown adult business owner acting like a troll and a child. Little man? Little d***? Sounds like the pot calling the kettle black to me...

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
This is just a little bit disturbing. A grown adult business owner acting like a troll and a child. Little man? Little d***? Sounds like the pot calling the kettle black to me...

New Kent Dog Hunter.....toughest talking bunch of blowhards alive.

taurusfan

Be it noted that CSA has a sign that says "All firearms must be cased and unloaded when entering the store or range (this excludes law enforcement)"

Another sign says, "Concealed carry firearms must be unloaded in the safe zone prior to entering the range if they are to be fired."

Which seems to mean that CC is fine but OC is only for LEO.

Regardless the CSA sign is not much better than the one in New Kent.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Be it noted that CSA has a sign that says "All firearms must be cased and unloaded when entering the store or range (this excludes law enforcement)"

Another sign says, "Concealed carry firearms must be unloaded in the safe zone prior to entering the range if they are to be fired."

Which seems to mean that CC is fine but OC is only for LEO.

Regardless the CSA sign is not much better than the one in New Kent.

No it's not any different and has been discussed here at length, I had a very loud and unpleasant discussion with the head honcho once where I was threatened. I believe the exact words were "Oh, you're one of them....OK, let's get it on"

I Honestly don't understand why any self respecting gun owner would go there....but they do.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
No it's not any different and has been discussed here at length, I had a very loud and unpleasant discussion with the head honcho once where I was threatened. I believe the exact words were "Oh, you're one of them....OK, let's get it on"

I Honestly don't understand why any self respecting gun owner would go there....but they do.
My conclusion is that they leave their self-respect outside :(

rmitcheltree5001

I was there on Saturday for the NRA basic pistol course. I did enjoy my experience and it is a very nice range. I do see where the sign is kind of a slap in the face. I asked my instructor why that is the policy and his basic explanation was to get a concealed carry permit in virginia one must take a class. For one to open carry he does not. I do see a point on both sides and I am not trying to start anything as I am very new to all of this. Personally, I won't be going back because I hate driving on that side of the water and the fact that I sat in traffic for over an hour trying to get back home. Living in Hampton I am very limited where I can shoot.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I was there on Saturday for the NRA basic pistol course. I did enjoy my experience and it is a very nice range. I do see where the sign is kind of a slap in the face. I asked my instructor why that is the policy and his basic explanation was to get a concealed carry permit in virginia one must take a class. For one to open carry he does not. I do see a point on both sides and I am not trying to start anything as I am very new to all of this. Personally, I won't be going back because I hate driving on that side of the water and the fact that I sat in traffic for over an hour trying to get back home. Living in Hampton I am very limited where I can shoot.

Well....since they ban other instructors from the property I suppose the argument is all CHP's have to take OUR class.

But that isn't true either. Anyone who had a hunter safety course can get a CHP....wait, anyone that ever had a CHP, even in the old days when no class was required like me is exempt.

Glad you're not going back for whatever reason though.

BTW....if you want other classes, Proshooter who is a member here and a believer in OC as well as CC. gives some of the best classes in the state. He can't go on Colonial property because he is an instructor but he has his own outdoor range. Using his services gives better instruction and doesn't reward the trash at Colonial. Dealing with them is like sending money to Sarah Brady.

rmitcheltree5001

Well....since they ban other instructors from the property I suppose the argument is all CHP's have to take OUR class.

But that isn't true either. Anyone who had a hunter safety course can get a CHP....wait, anyone that ever had a CHP, even in the old days when no class was required like me is exempt.

Glad you're not going back for whatever reason though.

BTW....if you want other classes, Proshooter who is a member here and a believer in OC as well as CC. gives some of the best classes in the state. He can't go on Colonial property because he is an instructor but he has his own outdoor range. Using his services gives better instruction and doesn't reward the trash at Colonial. Dealing with them is like sending money to Sarah Brady.

Yeah I see your point now. I forgot about the hunter safety course which I have taken and that has nothing to do with how to handle a firearm. Thanks for the heads up about Proshooter as I need more instruction. I did feel comfortable for my first time but I need a lot more instruction before I would ever consider open carry and even before I have a loaded pistol in my home for self defense. I do however, need to get on the ball as criminals who decide to do a home invasion are not going to wait for me to train..lol

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Search around and the business and owner are both getting really terrible reviews. So word is out as are the customers with the owner's business area. Serves this piece of sh-- right. We can hope and pray he goes out of business and loses his butt in the process.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Search around and the business and owner are both getting really terrible reviews. So word is out as are the customers with the owner's business area. Serves this piece of sh-- right. We can hope and pray he goes out of business and loses his butt in the process.

As much as it probably won't happen, I'd prefer they saw the light. The facility itself is decent (including excellent handicap access) and the fact that it is located in Henrico County - despite the good old boy networking that had to have been involved in getting that to happen - is a plus.

Anybody want to start a crowdsource fund campaign in anticipation of buying the place?

stay safe.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
As much as it probably won't happen, I'd prefer they saw the light. The facility itself is decent (including excellent handicap access) and the fact that it is located in Henrico County - despite the good old boy networking that had to have been involved in getting that to happen - is a plus.

Anybody want to start a crowdsource fund campaign in anticipation of buying the place?

stay safe.

Someone else coming in, who is cognizant of his patrons' base, and buying the place out is a good idea. I do hate to see businesses go under but not the bad ones. The market has a way of punishing those who are not responsive to their customers and worse, are arrogant and abusive to them. This is a good thing and how it should be.

Let this pr--k get his just desserts and maybe a business person will enter the picture who appreciates those who pay his bills, his mortgage, put food on his table, and provide for his family.