• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Non Leathal

flagellum

imported post

I've always thought that it would be a good idea to carry no lethal protection, in case I ran into a situation in which I was assaulted in a non-life threatening way.

I've been carrying a small can of OC spray, but after my second Accidental Discharge (No holster, goes in pocket with keys, change, etc.) that it isn't worth it. OC sray is the ony thing I can think of that is small enough and the level of protection that I want. The can has a locking mechanism, but when I constantly remove/add items to my pocket it is easy for the switch to get flipped off of safe.

Also, FYI, if you get Spray on you, don't touch your face. :banghead:

Remmy

imported post

I was going to start carrying a 21" collapsible baton until i found out they are illegal, im looking to possibly getting a police issued tazer and maybe some OC spray

Kathy England

imported post

This issue bothers me, but it is one we should all be thinking about before it happens. I do have something that I carry when I can't carry my pistol but rarely carry it(the alternative).

Why?

Which assaults are non-lethal and how do we know which ones are which?
Easy peazy answer!!! The ones where no one ends up dead! Yippee, we all go home safe and the criminals go to jail. Smile for the camera, family. :D

Add two words to that question and the answer becomes much more difficult than people realize or even want to think about. Those two words are "in advance."

Which assaults are non-lethal and how do we know which ones are which in advance?

Uh...well...gee...answer isn't so easy peazy now.

The real answer is, I have no way of knowing which threats are lethal or severe bodily harm threats or a "simple" purse snatching. When the guy grabs my purse strap how do I know if he's going to back that up with a pistol, a knife, or a kick to the throat?....all of which are easily lethal. Even the smallest guy could kill the biggest dude (and I'm no where near the biggest girl, much less the biggest dude!!) with a good kick or punch to the throat. Once your trachea has been crushed it is too late to be dropping the mace and reaching for your pistol.

Now, obviously, if someone grabs a purse strap and is running before I even see him, he's not going to get shot in the back by me...and mace, stun gun, or self defense items, for the most part, will be useless. (That's just one reason I NEVER purse carry.)

I don't mean to sound like a smart ass...though I often am.:) There are very few situations, if any, where you HAVE to fight and it won't be fighting for life or death. Too many verbal confrontations become physical because we don't want to lose face. Once the confrontation becomes physical you have to assume its life or death or it will be too late to decide. Personally, I'm happy to walk away looking like a coward, pistol (and/or mace and/or stungun) tucked safely on my body. I don't want to end up having to kill some asshole just because his mouth got him in trouble with the little lady with a Glock. ;)

JMHO

flagellum

imported post

I agree that it is difficult to know exactly how dangerous a threat is, but I do feel like there are many situations that a person may get into that don't require lethal force, but require force. For example, what if some drunk fellow decides that he doesn't like me much, maybe I looked at his girlfriend the wrong way, or maybe he is just likes to fight when he drinks. If he is unarmed, I honestly am not all that concerned that he will kill me, but he may most certainly hurt me. If I were in a situation like that I was physically struck, or pushed against a wall, I could give him a very spicy version of "back off", and go on my merry way. This is of course, a hypothetical, but I could see such an event reasonably happening. I suppose with Women, if a man attacks you physically, it more cases than not his intentions are much worse than you ever want to find out. I feel with men however(especially us young ones) violence is commonplace, and too many guys things problems can be solved by a punch to the face.

I think this especially because I know my friend got beat out on the street that sent him to the hospital, all by hand to hand blows and kicks. I would like to think that if I were there I could have helped him, and know that shooting 5 college students dead wouldn't have solved the problem either, but blinding one or two, hopefully all, could have prevented his potentially fatal injuries.

Oh, and as a side note, I'd probably advise against shooting some thief in the back.... those things tend to not turn out quite that well. :?

PS: I was just reading a message board that I browse (young user base) and a young skinny guy was asking about self defense, because some drunk dude beat the hell out of him and he wants that to never happen again.

doninvegas

imported post

I think that is where the saying came from..." I would rather be judged by 12 of my peers than carried by 6 family members"

Always remember...even in a self defensive action, the one that is standing will more than likely still end up in court...

The case in NYC where the guy garbed a ladies purse, she tripped him and he dropped the purse, fell down and broke his arm and ended up suing the lady...she lost in court....no witnesses seen him grab her purse...

doninvegas

imported post

A short story, Phoenix AZ 2008.
outside a bar a guy got jumped and robbed of his IRS check....3 guys jumped him and kicked and stomped him till he could not move...a citizen stopped and pulled a gun and fired one into the air and the robbers fled ....the man was barley alive when the para medics got to him...6 weeks in rehab...The Hero that saved his life, got his gun taken away and 3 years for firing a gun into the air...:banghead:

gmijackso

imported post

doninvegas wrote:
A short story, Phoenix AZ 2008.
outside a bar a guy got jumped and robbed of his IRS check....3 guys jumped him and kicked and stomped him till he could not move...a citizen stopped and pulled a gun and fired one into the air and the robbers fled ....the man was barley alive when the para medics got to him...6 weeks in rehab...The Hero that  saved his life, got his gun taken away and 3 years for firing a gun into the air...:banghead:

What he did wrong, was fire into the air. You never know what/who you hit when the lead returns to earth, effectively endangering the public. If he had shot the assailants, he would have had to go to court, but could have easily shown that a life was in danger and use of deadly force was justified. Remember, it doesn't HAVE to be YOUR life that is endangered, just A life that is endangered. In fact, in some states, had the victim died, the shooter could have been charged with murder for not intervening, in some states, you're obligated to help by law.

Judge.410

imported post

Kimber makes a pretty good spay. Two shots, 90 mph at 13 ft. It has a saftey on it....left or right handed. Wind doesn't effect it. no blow back www.PepperBlaster.com Belt clip. Wife has one she can get to 1st then the Lead sprayer right under it . Clip mine in my pants pocket like a knife. Just a little big for my pockets. Runs about 40 bucks. check it out. I like mine. Got it at Scheels. Here in Reno.

DON`T TREAD ON ME

imported post

I know this is not well thought out. However in many places, flare guns, that are found in boating stores are not considered firearms, yet they fire a 12 guage flare.

wonder if it would work with a bean bag round.

doninvegas

imported post

DON`T TREAD ON ME wrote:
I know this is not well thought out. However in many places, flare guns, that are found in boating stores are not considered firearms, yet they fire a 12 guage flare.

wonder if it would work with a bean bag round.

My wife and i always carried them when we lived in Florida....They were a safety device not a weapon...
Loaded with a 15 second white Phosphorus flare.... no one in there right mind would mess with ya....:D