• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Non-Resident Open Carry

Dario

Nobody has advocated breaking any laws on this thread, nor has any action been taken by a moderator claiming such either. Apparently it's just you misunderstanding the word.

FACT: Buying a 30 round magazine in Wyoming and bringing it to Colorado is against state law but some people do it anyway.
FACT: Buying marijuana in Colorado and bringing it to Wyoming is illegal but some people do it anyway.

What you are claiming is that pointing out certain truths is akin to advocating for it. That is dead wrong.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Nobody has advocated breaking any laws on this thread, nor has any action been taken by a moderator claiming such either. Apparently it's just you misunderstanding the word.

FACT: Buying a 30 round magazine in Wyoming and bringing it to Colorado is against state law but some people do it anyway.
FACT: Buying marijuana in Colorado and bringing it to Wyoming is illegal but some people do it anyway.

What you are claiming is that pointing out certain truths is akin to advocating for it. That is dead wrong.
We are all charged with being self-moderating. It's not just limited to those with authority.

"Advocate (v.t.) = to speak or write in favor of; support or urge by argument; recommend publicly."
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/advocate

Conclusion, advocating illegal acts is against the Forum Rules - w/o any doubt.

If you are going to point out certain facts/truths that violate our rules, then it is incumbent on you to also make clear that is not how we conduct ourselves. We obey the law.
"(15) WE ADVOCATE FOR THE 'LAW-ABIDING' ONLY: Posts advocating illegal acts of any kind are NOT welcome here. Even if you feel that a law is unconstitutional we do not break it, we repeal it or defeat it in the courts."

F350

uh, huh...hold that thought in light of current events...bottom line, CO law forbids sale & possession of high capacity mags..therefore you are, on this public forum, advocating to members to break those laws, a violation of forum rules.

if you believe the nice sheriff will collaborate to a judical hearing what he told you...then you deserve the repercussions.

ipse

Being in NC, what the (heck) do you know about CO gun laws? Any normal capacity mag possessed before the effective date of the law is grandfathered in (I lived in CO when the law was passed). MagPul (which USE TO BE located in CO) gave 30 free mags to every CO resident that asked before the law went into effect, all you needed was a mailing address and an email address. I got my 30, the wife got her 30, a disabled friend living with us got her 30 and the dog even got his 30.

You will note the YMMV I used in the post, ya pays yer money and ya takes yer chances if you decide to ignore the law, like any other law (just ask Hildabeast).

solus

Being in NC, what the (heck) do you know about CO gun laws? Any normal capacity mag possessed before the effective date of the law is grandfathered in (I lived in CO when the law was passed). MagPul (which USE TO BE located in CO) gave 30 free mags to every CO resident that asked before the law went into effect, all you needed was a mailing address and an email address. I got my 30, the wife got her 30, a disabled friend living with us got her 30 and the dog even got his 30.

You will note the YMMV I used in the post, ya pays yer money and ya takes yer chances if you decide to ignore the law, like any other law (just ask Hildabeast).

guess you missed grapeshot's post...

you being in WY...has what to do where i am at the moment as it is a moot point, since, you are advocating on a public forum to a NEW prospective CO resident to break the law (18.12-302) regarding high capacity mags based on your personal biases that you have passed to forum members as hearsay from an individual who is legally allowed to LIE to citizens.

you are putting the prospective resident in judicial jeopardy if they follow your erroneous guidance.

ipse

77zach

Mmm. Very interesting. Well, maybe you all can get it repealed. I doubt it though, to my knowledge no permanent mag ban has ever been repealed. Reason being they've only ever happened in "slave states". CA, NJ, MD, NJ, NY, MA, CT, and HI. And now, Colorado.

Last edited:

Tneedham

I'm back from my trip to the Springs, and it was lovely. I open carried when I wasn't on military installations for work, because we all know that that would have ended badly.

However, I didn't realize the 15 round mag limit was a thing in CO. I have a full size XDm and the standard mags carry 16, so IF I hadn't bought CO legal mags, I would have been illegal while I was there. (NOT ADVOCATING BREAKING THE LAW, just for the record.... Nor am I admitting guilt.)

Overall everything went smoothly. The only thing that happened was while I was OC in a gun shop in the Springs (on fountain, i'm not sure what the name was) one of the clerks told me that I didn't want to open carry because it alarms people. I asked him if I needed to put my weapon in my vehicle and he assured me that HE wasn't alarmed, but that some of his customers might be and in which case he would ask me to put it in my car if someone complained.

I explained why I open carry, and he was understanding. However, he did give me the uneducated warning of, "well you know, you could just be the first person they take out." I simply said that I have never heard of that happening, and that I had looked for stories in the news of that happening and hadn't found ANY at all. He was surprised but said that he would still never open carry.

Just for people who read this but don't OC the reason that I OC is because I would rather deter a threat than be forced to try to defeat one. If I can make a criminal wait till I leave, choose a different target, or choose to forgo the crime all together without a shot being fired or a word being said, I'm happy.

I also had a guy ask me about OC while I was OCing on the Manitou Incline. Convo lasted 25 seconds or so, because it's hard to climb a frikin mountain and talk at the same time. lol

Dynamite Rabbit

Glad you had a good trip!

I just want to reiterate: "high-capacity" magazines are NOT illegal in Colorado. If you owned it on July 1st, 2013, it's legal. If charged, the prosecution has to prove that you didn't own it then, therefore, no one is being prosecuted.

The statute is C.R.S. 18-12-302

solus

tneedham, glad you enjoyed COS, it is a lovely area and appreciate the info about specialty sports...

ipse