• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Norfolk Waterside - "New" News (?)

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

2a4all wrote:
nova wrote:
Interesting read. It would also explain why gun show promotersthat stage events in publicvenues (Hampton Convention Center, Norfolk Scope, etc.)can ban/regulate firearms carry by attendees.

[RANT]I told you when you started to ask about that issue to be very careful how you worded the question - it should not have been about what the licencee/permitee can/cannot do, but whether or not the municipality could abrogate rights when granting the license/permit.

But look which question got asked! [/rant]

And yet there might be an opportunity to get the more appropriate question asked this time. If we get the right question answered the right way, we essentially end up with two conflicting opinions. A nullity ensues, until somehow the conflict is resolved.

HINT!

stay safe.

darthmord

imported post

skidmark wrote:
2a4all wrote:
nova wrote:
Interesting read. It would also explain why gun show promotersthat stage events in publicvenues (Hampton Convention Center, Norfolk Scope, etc.)can ban/regulate firearms carry by attendees.

[RANT]I told you when you started to ask about that issue to be very careful how you worded the question - it should not have been about what the licencee/permitee can/cannot do, but whether or not the municipality could abrogate rights when granting the license/permit.

But look which question got asked! [/rant]

And yet there might be an opportunity to get the more appropriate question asked this time. If we get the right question answered the right way, we essentially end up with two conflicting opinions. A nullity ensues, until somehow the conflict is resolved.

HINT!

stay safe.

Sorry Skid, I have to agree with the letter. It is well-reasoned and answered. Granted, the answer isn't in our favor but it *IS* a fair answer.

It basically says that government *can* lease public property to private entities and those private entities have full legal capability to ban / control access to their venue (including actions) like any other private entity leasing from another private entity. Thus all private entities are treated equally. That's cool by me.

That letter ALSO states that government CANNOT lease to a private entity who then acts as the agent for the government over that property.

So in the example given, the Red Cross could legally ban firearms within the area they leased from the city but could not do anything about firearms carried outside of their venue (a subset of the park) such as the rest of the park.

IMO, the stance the Red Cross is taking WRT firearms is just another reason to not make use/support their activities. No sweat off my back.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Darthmord,

I do not disagree with you that the opinion rendered is a fair one, based on the question posed. However, Isuggested the question that should have been asked was "Can a local government abrogate the rights of the citizens to a private permittee/licensee when alowing the use of public property by the permittee/licensee?"

Different questions result in different answers. Be sure you know what you are asking before you commit to asking the question.

stay safe.

2a4all

imported post

skidmark wrote:
Darthmord,

I do not disagree with you that the opinion rendered is a fair one, based on the question posed. However, Isuggested the question that should have been asked was "Can a local government abrogate the rights of the citizens to a private permittee/licensee when alowing the use of public property by the permittee/licensee?"

Different questions result in different answers. Be sure you know what you are asking before you commit to asking the question.

stay safe.
Asked another way: "Can a local government granta right/authoritythat it does not have to a private permittee/licensee when allowing the use of public property by the permittee/licensee?", to wit, grant permittee/licensee the authority to restrict firearmsin the public venue?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

2a4all wrote:
skidmark wrote:
Darthmord,

stay safe.
Asked another way: "Can a local government granta right/authoritythat it does not have to a private permittee/licensee when allowing the use of public property by the permittee/licensee?", to wit, grant permittee/licensee the authority to restrict firearmsin the public venue?
They do not grant and are not granting any authority to a private entity.

The private entity already has that authority independent of the local government.

Yata hey