• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Not OC "per se", but interesting...

Mr H

Was in Ocean City MD this weekend.

Went down on the boardwalk this morning, and noticed a guy. Looked like a typical toughass sort, overall, but something about his whole "partiot" persona didn't fit. I thought he might be LEO, or maybe recently separated from the Marines, or something, but no clue, really.

Then I noticed it...

He was sporting a pretty official-looking badge on his belt. On his left hip (so I'm thinking he's right-handed right off the bat)... it clearly stated "Concealed Handgun Permit" (Keeping in mind this is MD)... so I start wondering.

No info on jurisdiction or issuer... just a really serious-looking badge.

I didn't engage him, as I was with the wife and she was in jewelry-mode <VBG>

But, on seeing him again later (prominently seated for lunch at a table right on the visible side by the boardwalk), I had come to the conclusion that he was just looking for attention and I can simply call BS on this and move along.

Thoughts???

Snakemathis

Wtf?

I thought the point of concealed carry was that no one else was aware your armed. Wearing a big gold badge that says "I have a gun but you cant see it" totally defeats the purpose of them not being able to see it. And people say OCer's are weird...

Mr H

I thought the point of concealed carry was that no one else was aware your armed. Wearing a big gold badge that says "I have a gun but you cant see it" totally defeats the purpose of them not being able to see it. And people say OCer's are weird...

OK... as long as I'm not the only one...

;-))

sultan62

I might wear something like that in a state that was CC only, but it damn sure wouldn't be a badge. A hat or a shirt that says "I'm legally carrying a weapon." or "I'm armed, and not ashamed.", maybe.

Dreamer

Under MD law, a really itchy LEO could probably twist wearing such a badge into a "brandishing" charge. In many counties and municipalities there are specific statutes and codes prohibiting "open display of a firearm", and the way they interpret the law in MD, I imagine wearing such a badge in Montgomery County, Howard County, or Baltimore would at the very least get you cuffed and proned, and MIGHT lead to some sort of trumped-up carry violation charge...

I would have asked him "what on earth are you thinking, man?"...

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
LAMO.... at what point are you to put it on??

According to the web site, you wear it in a pouch and as you are grabbing your firearm you use the other hand to pull it out and over your head - or something like that.

I have enough trouble walking, chewing bubblegum and breathing (each in turn, never simultaneously) to try to add that acrobatic maneuver to my bag of skills. That and a fashion sense that fortunately stops somewhere shy of accessorizing with a product like that.

In all honesty I think if the cops saw someone wearing that the chance of them getting shot accidentally would go up exponentially - due to the cops rolling on the ground laughing their butts off thus causing an ND.

stay safe.

Ruby

Nothing says "wannabe" like wearing one of these CCW badges. I would think you would get in trouble for impersonating a LEO, if they could stop laughing long enough to detain or arrest you. The funniest story I have heard about this came from somewhere on here. Three guys OCing and wearing CCW badges. Go figure.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
Nothing says "wannabe" like wearing one of these CCW badges. I would think you would get in trouble for impersonating a LEO, if they could stop laughing long enough to detain or arrest you. The funniest story I have heard about this came from somewhere on here. Three guys OCing and wearing CCW badges. Go figure.

Carrying a badge in the state of Utah is illegal. Under Utah Criminal Code Section 76-8-512(3) A person is guilty of a class B misdemeanor who: displays or possesses without authority any badge....or a reasonable facsimile...with the intent to induce another to submit or rely on his pretend official authority.

eye95

Carrying a badge in the state of Utah is illegal. Under Utah Criminal Code Section 76-8-512(3) A person is guilty of a class B misdemeanor who: displays or possesses without authority any badge....or a reasonable facsimile...with the intent to induce another to submit or rely on his pretend official authority.

It would be hard to prove in a court of law "intent to induce another to submit or rely on he pretend official authority" unless the badge-wearer were taking some other overt action involving another.

Unless one is officially authorized to do so, wearing a badge is silly. However, the simple act of wearing an unofficial badge does not appear to be illegal in Utah.

Ken56

The first responsibility of concealed carry is avoidance...... I for one will not be RUNNING INTO a situation with pistol blazing trying to be the hero.....that said I also will not shirk a DUTY to protect my, my loved ones, or any person in IMMEDIATE life or death danger. when the cops show up my pistol is holstered and out of my HAND.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
ccwprod.jpg

That's got to be some of the dumbest sh&* I've ever seen.

Last edited:
K

kittyhawk63

I can see why an LEO may want to wear one of these when he/she is off duty and it's dark. I have no idea why anyone else would. All I see is a $30 money-maker for something that probably cost less than $3 to make in bulk.

Field referees have been pulling warning flags for as long as I can remember, and as someone said, didn't the scouts come up with this idea first? They should complain that someone had trampled on their turf. lol Just kidding.