• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NRA Women ~ 'To open carry or not to open carry' article

solus

quote Jo Deering 3 May 22
If you’re ever looking to start a heated discussion among gun owners, just bring up the subject of open carry. Some form of openly carrying a handgun (as opposed to concealed carrying) is legal in most states or at least parts of most states, as counties and cities might differ across a given state. Still, it remains a contentious subject. Should you open carry or not?

unquote

The NRA should have read the article prior to releasing it as the author states, quote:

Although I don’t open carry myself,

unquote...

really IMHO all credibility just went out the window...

[sidebar: in another of this author's articles whose title is 4 questions to ask yourself before you carry a gun doesn't even mention OC'g only CC!
https://www.nrawomen.com/content/4-questions-to-ask-yourself-before-you-carry-a-gun/
one would think NRA would be a bit more balanced in their perspectives and at least mention the concept of OC'g...sigh]

ADulay

I just read that article this morning and was glad it did not have any of the hysterical gun grabbing stories inserted.

Overall it was a pretty bland article, but I think it was for the Women's NRA magazine so it was toned down nicely.

AD

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
My daughter has two young children. She conceal carries wherever she goes with her children, signs or no signs, not even school. No one is going to get between her and her children, period.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Probably a good thing I hadn't yet read it. Don't plan to.

I agree. "I don't open carry myself" means the credibility is nil.

Of course, NRA has never supported open carry, so one should not expect any different.

JTHunter2

Tess, the NRA has a "vested interest" (monetary) in CC as I have seen numerous products for that aspect in their catalogs over the last several years.

mnrobitaille

Tess, the NRA has a "vested interest" (monetary) in CC as I have seen numerous products for that aspect in their catalogs over the last several years.
It seems a lot of the main organizations have a vested interest in CC, & would rather everyone CC & not OC.

mnrobitaille

As a side thought, I was a committee member of a local Friends of NRA unit & I was told that I should not be OCing while out representing the unit. Even at the yearly banquet, they did not want committee members to OC (even though attendees were allowed to do so).

JTHunter2

As a side thought, I was a committee member of a local Friends of NRA unit & I was told that I should not be OCing while out representing the unit. Even at the yearly banquet, they did not want committee members to OC (even though attendees were allowed to do so).
Does that come under the definition of "hypocrisy"? :rolleyes:

KBCraig

FONRA raises money for youth shooting sports. It's not a political activity.

"Don't freak out the mundanes" is good advice when you're dealing with a group. I fully support OC as a political statement, but all such statements are more effective when activists choose a time and place that doesn't confuse the audience.

solus

"Don't freak out the mundanes" is good advice when you're dealing with a group. I fully support OC as a political statement, but all such statements are more effective when activists choose a time and place that doesn't confuse the audience.
Sorry, friends of NRA, is, quote:

WHAT IS FRIENDS OF NRA?​

Friends of NRA is the blockbuster fundraising program under The NRA Foundation. Since day one, it has been a 100% grassroots effort fueled by a united front to secure the Second Amendment and raise money for the shooting sports. Nothing makes a Friends of NRA event more unique than the 13,000 dedicated volunteers who work tirelessly to make these events happen and the generous attendees and donors who support their efforts.

Committee volunteers are appointed to State Fund Committees to make recommendations for local grant funding in areas such as youth education, women-focused clinics, law enforcement training, hunter safety, range improvement, firearms and marksmanship training and safety.

Since its inception in 1992, Friends of NRA has held close to 24,000 events, reached over 4.5 million attendees and raised more than $1 billion gross for The NRA Foundation. Unquote.

you can bet next week's paycheck there will never be an accounting to show not all of the billion $ raised was released back as, "...critical funding to educational firearm programs on the local, state, and national levels."

ps: sorry, didn't look deep enough at their website...426M$$ of the 1B collected doled out in grants...
pps: funny as all getout looking at the disparity across the states regarding costs to have dinner as well as the cost of give aways involved...

Last edited:

mnrobitaille

FNRA does more than just provide grants to youth shooting sports (4H, FFA, Scouting, School trap/skeet). There's also range development, law enforcement training/equipment, & other shooting sports programs. On event nights, elected officials & those running for office can attend to show that they support the shooting sports & 2nd Amendment, but they are not allowed to campaign. NRA recruiters cannot actively sign up/renew memberships.

OCing is not a political statement, but a means in showing law abiding, responsibly armed citizenry are from every walk of life.

KBCraig

Sorry, friends of NRA, is, quote:

WHAT IS FRIENDS OF NRA?​

Friends of NRA is the blockbuster fundraising program under The NRA Foundation. Since day one, it has been a 100% grassroots effort fueled by a united front to secure the Second Amendment and raise money for the shooting sports. Nothing makes a Friends of NRA event more unique than the 13,000 dedicated volunteers who work tirelessly to make these events happen and the generous attendees and donors who support their efforts.

Committee volunteers are appointed to State Fund Committees to make recommendations for local grant funding in areas such as youth education, women-focused clinics, law enforcement training, hunter safety, range improvement, firearms and marksmanship training and safety.

Since its inception in 1992, Friends of NRA has held close to 24,000 events, reached over 4.5 million attendees and raised more than $1 billion gross for The NRA Foundation. Unquote.

you can bet next week's paycheck there will never be an accounting to show not all of the billion $ raised was released back as, "...critical funding to educational firearm programs on the local, state, and national levels."

ps: sorry, didn't look deep enough at their website...426M$$ of the 1B collected doled out in grants...
pps: funny as all getout looking at the disparity across the states regarding costs to have dinner as well as the cost of give aways involved...
Cute little "ps: sorry" at the end.