• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC at 18 in alaska?

xDayan

imported post

I was reading the laws, and It looks to me that you can oc at 18 here, but not CC till 21...

Just wanna check this till I start ocing my 45 1911, also witch holster do you guys like best Shoulder, or waist?

Edit:

:banghead::banghead:http://www.opencarry.org/ak.htmlshoulda read alittle harder

anyways, as dumb as this might sound, is it legal to carry with loaded or does it have to be unloaded?

aadvark

imported post

Alaskan Law allows you to be Armed at 18 years old, per Alaska Code AS 11.61.220.

In fact, in Alaska, one can legally have a Firearm as early as 16 years old, per Alaska Code AS 11.61.220(a)(3).

However no one, regardless of their age, except for Law Enforcement Officers and Owners of Establishments or their Employees, can have any Loaded Firearm, except Concealed LoadedHandguns, at any Restaurant, provided; the same must be a Restaurant and not a Bar, in which Case, only then Law Enforcement and Owners or their Employeesmay possess Loaded Firearms in a Bar.

In Alaska, at 18, you may:

1. Carry a Firearm, or other Weapon, Openly on your Person, AND

2. May Carry it anywhere except: Licensed Childcare Facilities, Courthouses, Courtrooms, Alaska Court Offices, Domestic Violence Shelters, Bars, Private Premises of another (someone's House), Elementary/Middle/High Schools, or the Private Property (Real Estate of another Man) after being told not to do so OR with the Intent to committ ANY Crime thereupon.

***Misconduct with Weapons Statutes are somewhat confusing, as they took me 30 minutes to read thourgh them carefully. Hopefully, I did not miss or confuse anything..., so take this analysis of Alaska Firearms Law with a grain of Salt.***

Alaskan Shooter

imported post

aadvark got it correct but I will add one more thing pertaining to open carry. People under age 16 can also carry a firearm if they have permission from a parent or legal guardian per AS 11.61.220(a)(3).

xDayan

imported post

aadvark wrote:
Alaskan Law allows you to be Armed at 18 years old, per Alaska Code AS 11.61.220.

In fact, in Alaska, one can legally have a Firearm as early as 16 years old, per Alaska Code AS 11.61.220(a)(3).

However no one, regardless of their age, except for Law Enforcement Officers and Owners of Establishments or their Employees, can have any Loaded Firearm, except Concealed LoadedHandguns, at any Restaurant, provided; the same must be a Restaurant and not a Bar, in which Case, only then Law Enforcement and Owners or their Employeesmay possess Loaded Firearms in a Bar.

In Alaska, at 18, you may:

1. Carry a Firearm, or other Weapon, Openly on your Person, AND

2. May Carry it anywhere except: Licensed Childcare Facilities, Courthouses, Courtrooms, Alaska Court Offices, Domestic Violence Shelters, Bars, Private Premises of another (someone's House), Elementary/Middle/High Schools, or the Private Property (Real Estate of another Man) after being told not to do so OR with the Intent to committ ANY Crime thereupon.

***Misconduct with Weapons Statutes are somewhat confusing, as they took me 30 minutes to read thourgh them carefully. Hopefully, I did not miss or confuse anything..., so take this analysis of Alaska Firearms Law with a grain of Salt.***
I'm alittle confunsed,if I'm reading it right I can have it loaded when around town, and out dirtbiking and hiking but when going into a restaurant I have to unload it? I'm still new to OC and I don't want to have any troubles with the police...

JohnGalt

imported post

xDayan wrote:
I was reading the laws, and It looks to me that you can oc at 18 here, but not CC till 21...

Just wanna check this till I start ocing my 45 1911, also witch holster do you guys like best Shoulder, or waist?
I posted this in another thread and paste it here:

DISCLAIMER: I am not a lawyer in Alaska so do not consider this answer as legal advise.

I searched the Alaska statutes and failed to find any requirement of age for anyone to carry a firearm. The relevant statutes that I did find are cited below.

Alaska Stat. § 11.61.220 - Misconduct involving weapons in the fifth degree:
(a) A person commits the crime of misconduct involving weapons in the fifth degree if the person . . . (3) being an unemancipated minor under 16 years of age, possesses a firearm without the consent of a parent or guardian of the minor;

Alaska Stat. § 11.61.210 - Misconduct involving weapons in the fourth degree:
(a) A person commits the crime of misconduct involving weapons in the fourth degree if the person . . . (6) knowingly sells a firearm or a defensive weapon to a person under 18 years of age;

And of course, Alaska Stat. § 18.65.705 - Qualifications to obtain a permit:
A person is qualified to receive and hold a permit to carry a concealed handgun if the person . . . (1) is 21 years of age or older;

What does this tell me? It seems that if you are over 16 years old, you can carry openly (subject to restrictions on place, manner, and right of officer to secure pistol during contact). If under 16, then with permission of a parent. Either way, no person may sell a pistol to someone under 18 so it better come as a gift or from a family member. Of course, 21 is the minimum age for concealed carry. Alaska is a SHALL ISSUE state when it comes to CCW permits.

I may have missed something that somebody can point out to me and I will concede the fact that I searched for 10 minutes.

Alaskan Shooter

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
Alaskan Shooter wrote:
aadvark got it correct but I will add one more thing pertaining to open carry. People under age 16 can also carry a firearm if they have permission from a parent or legal guardian per AS 11.61.220(a)(3).

However, if that firearm is a handgun, a person under the age of 18 may only carry that handgun in very specific circumstances, otherwise they violate Federal law, to wit 18 USC 922(x).

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/718/usc_sec_18_00000922----000-.html

NavyLT you are correct however the LEO's up here are not concerned with federal law (IMO) unless they want to tack something extra on to an existing charge.

aadvark

imported post

I am aware of Federal Law 18 U.S.C. 922(x), and the exemptions that it grants to Person who are under 18 years of age, in regards toa Pistol.

We will all have to wait and see what comes out of Firearm Freedom Acts, which I personnally support, but, in the meantime..., pending The Courts of Law.

Louisiana allows Open Carry of a Pistol at 17 years of age, and other States at 16, namely, New Hampshire and Vermont.

As far as I am concerned..., Congress can not Regulate Intra-State Commerce. Any such attempt Violates the 10th Amendment to The Constitution of The United states of America.