• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC at the newly opened Bada Bistro on Alki

ShooterMcGavin

I wanted to share my positive experience while open carrying inside the newly opened Bada Bistro on Alki. I was unsure whether the whole establishment was considered a "bar" or if there was a separate restaurant section, so I was cautious as I entered. I looked around for the Liquor Commissioner signs and saw none on the outside. I walked in and felt relief when I saw the "Over 21" sign near the bar seating and I was asked if I want to "sit at the bar or the restaurant". I took my seat and looked over the menu. At the time, I was wearing jeans and a black T-shirt, carrying a 3" SP101 in a brown OWB retention holster. Lots of people seemed to notice my sidearm yesterday, compared to when I carry my black M&P40 in a black holster. I usually research businesses beforehand for their firearms policy, if possible, but this was a new place with very little information to be found - as compared to a large corporation like Home Depot, Best Buy, etc.

After sitting at my table for a few minutes (firearm facing out, visible), a woman approached with a questioning look on her face. She spoke quietly and said "I'm not sure you can have that in here"...

Me: This is the restaurant section, right?
She: Yes, but we have a bar.
Me: As long as I don't enter the bar, I am legal.
She: We are not licensed for that.
Me: The law restricts me from the bar section, but the restaurant section is legal for me.
She: I will have to find out...

She walked outside and spoke to an officer who was nearby. I knew I was within the law, but I was nervous about what would happen next. Who knows if the cop wants to inspect what she is talking about for himself? I put the menu down and waited. She came back into the bar, casually, and came over to me indirectly. She simply said "you are fine. We are new here so we don't want to risk anything and break any laws. Thank You". I replied "I wouldn't break the law :) Thanks".

Shortly after that, I spoke with our server and told him that I want to thank his management for the way the situation was handled. I let him know that I am a member of some firearms groups. I told him that I support businesses which support me exercising my rights, and I will share my positive experience. I also asked that he let my feelings be known amongst his managers as well.

In addition to all that, I really like their menu. We had the Steamed Mussels and the BBQ Ribs, and both were excellent. I recommend a visit :)

Karen

We just started a list on our social media site just so we can support those companies who support the 2nd Amendment and peoples right to carry their guns openinly in Washington state. If you have more of these, please feel free to send us their company name, address and if the type of business is not obvious, please send it also. thanks,:banana:

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
We just started a list on our social media site just so we can support those companies who support the 2nd Amendment and peoples right to carry their guns openinly in Washington state. If you have more of these, please feel free to send us their company name, address and if the type of business is not obvious, please send it also. thanks,:banana:

Friendorfoe.com
+1

However, its actually http://FriendOrFoe.us/ (Which is currently down for maintenance per their Facebook account.

By the way, Karen, welcome to OCDO.

Last edited: