• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC/CC near a school

Mr Birdman

I know you are not allowed to OC/CC on school property. If walking by a school how far do you have to be away from it. Across the street or farther? A few weeks ago there was a story on the local news. Some one saw some one with a gun at the gas station across the street from a public school and called the police, and the school was put on lock down, according to the news report. I do not think the gun owner did any thing wrong. Am I wrong? :eek:

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
I know you are not allowed to OC/CC on school property.

Wrong. You're not allowed to possess a weapon in the buildings of, on the grounds of, or in any conveyance providing transportation to or from any elementary or secondary school. School property may well include places not included in the statute's restriction (school bus garage if the school district owns the buses, not on school grounds; book repositories, not on school grounds; administration buildings, not on school grounds; sports facilities separate from the actual school grounds, etc.).

If walking by a school how far do you have to be away from it.

Off the school grounds, and not any farther. If the sidewalk in front of the school is a public sidewalk (i.e., adjacent to a public roadway), you're good to go.

Across the street or farther?

See preceding answer.

A few weeks ago there was a story on the local news. Some one saw some one with a gun at the gas station across the street from a public school and called the police, and the school was put on lock down, according to the news report. I do not think the gun owner did any thing wrong. Am I wrong? :eek:

You are not wrong. The "authorities" overreacted.

Last edited:

JustaShooter

Beyond the state law, there is still the Federal Gun Free School Zones Act which establishes a 1,000 foot perimeter around any school property where it is illegal to have a loaded gun - certain exceptions apply, like being on private property or having a license issued by the state the school is located in. So, depending on circumstances it could have been a violation of Federal law but unless your local LEA are empowered or inclined to enforce Federal law nothing much is likely to happen. But still they did overreact...